Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Does the iPod integration cable charge the iPod while it is in use?

On the 2014 RTS, when listening to the iPod, does the cable actually charge the iPod or does the iPod just discharge during use? I'm not referring to the cable that just plugs into the earphone jack but the XX- pin adapter that is used to charge the iPod. If it doesn't charge, I believe I will need to buy an adapter that converts the cigarette lighter in the trunk to a USB port in order to charge the iPod when it's not in use. There was a similar question posted on the Spyder Facebook site, but the question was never really answered directly. Somebody here obviously knows.

Spyder Garage

YES look at the battery indicator on the screen when plugged in.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ran mine all last season; hooked up in the bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Perfect!

Thanks guys!

Spyder Garage

Do you have to purchase all music loaded on an iPod through iTunes? Is it expensive?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    Do you have to purchase all music loaded on an iPod through iTunes? Is it expensive?

No, you can upload your own music to itunes and then to your ipod.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Not necessarily. I get my music from other sources, and for my favorite artists I still buy CD's. I can burn the CD tracks into my computer and they convert into MP3. Once you have a track that is an MP3 format, you can move it to iTunes, which is what Apple uses to download/upload to their iDevices like iPads, iPods, iPhones...
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Mine has been hooked up to the bike for two years but I do not know if it would be charged if I removed it!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    No, you can upload your own music to itunes and then to your ipod.

Cruzr Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Not necessarily. I get my music from other sources, and for my favorite artists I still buy CD's. I can burn the CD tracks into my computer and they convert into MP3. Once you have a track that is an MP3 format, you can move it to iTunes, which is what Apple uses to download/upload to their iDevices like iPads, iPods, iPhones...
    Hmmmmm....... I might have to look into one of these iPod widgets. Thanks fellas
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Hmmmmm....... I might have to look into one of these iPod widgets. Thanks fellas
    If you are new to the iPod, I recommend buying the iPod classic with the biggest amount of memory. That way you can store all your music, and create different playlists around your favorite tunes and categories. Also, the iPod classic has the 30pin adapter that fits the one that is included in the Spyder, and they play along well.

You can find older and cheaper ones on eBay, or find a Apple authorized re-seller (not the Apple store, but a 3rd party computer place that usually sells them used), they may have some in stock. Good luck!
    Last edited by bullant12; 04-17-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

If you are new to the iPod, I recommend buying the iPod classic with the biggest amount of memory. That way you can store all your music, and create different playlists around your favorite tunes and categories. Also, the iPod classic has the 30pin adapter that fits the one that is included in the Spyder, and they play along well.

You can find older and cheaper ones on eBay, or find a Apple authorized re-seller (not the Apple store, but a 3rd party computer place that usually sells them used), they may have some in stock. Good luck!
    The Classic is good but 160gb is overkill You can get a 16gb a lot cheaper on ebay. That is what I have a Gen 5 and I can ride all day and not hear the same song twice or the next day either in shuffle mode. But then I have the same songs on my phone an A2DP them via BT to my head set. The BRP audio system is useless on the highway( If you wear a helmet like I do ATGATT) IMHO and only OK around town but who wants to disturb others blasting music? I ain't 18 anymore.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    The Classic is good but 160gb is overkill You can get a 16gb a lot cheaper on ebay. That is what I have a Gen 5 and I can ride all day and not hear the same song twice or the next day either in shuffle mode. But then I have the same songs on my phone an A2DP them via BT to my head set. The BRP audio system is useless on the highway( If you wear a helmet like I do ATGATT) IMHO and only OK around town but who wants to disturb others blasting music? I ain't 18 anymore.
    True... but by having 160 GB you are assured to have room for ALL your music with room to spare (until you fill it up in a few years )

Previously owned:

Spyder Garage

True... but by having 160 GB you are assured to have room for ALL your music with room to spare (until you fill it up in a few years )
    You would have room for EVERYONE's music

Spyder Garage

FYI you also do not have to use iTunes! Check out iFile which gives you access to the file system without being jail broken

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm running an older "8 gig" one... with over 600 songs on it!
    I pulled all of my music that's on it, off of my CDs

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes I'll be in a store that has a bin of $5 CDs of classic rock and I will buy a stack and bring them home and they go right on itunes. You can also borrow CDs from the local library to upload itunes. I use my iphone with bluetooth to stream music to the Sena unit in my helmet.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Ummmm just for the sake of saying it, and since I run forums myself and it can cause the owner issues, it's probably not cool talking about ripping music (stealing it) from sources other than what you own and purchased.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

Uploading from CDs you own isn't a problem, uploading from the library's CDs is a breach of copyright...or you could call that theft! Incidentally, certainly under both Scottish and English law, if you were then to sell your CD, then you must delete the computer and iPod file or it would be a breach of copyright. I'm pretty sure that this is untested to date, but you occasionally see people saying "I've uploaded all of my CDs in lossless FLAC to play off my home server through my digital streamer, so I'll sell off the CDs as I don't need them anymore." I dream of the first bit, but I'll not be parted from my CDs anymore than my vinyl!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

My iPod cable DOES NOT charge my iPod when being used on my 2010 RTS.

Now this IS interesting if others are being charged......

-Mike
    <Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk>

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it an IPod, or an MP3 player?
    Which plug are your using to tie it into the radio? The one that plugs in where your earbuds would plug in, or the wide plug on the other end of it?

Spyder Garage

I have an iPod touch 4th gen 16gb, and it charges when plugged in the trunk.

Hey ARCTIC, I notice your location is Iowa. How far are you from Mt Pleasant?

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 "Rusty"

rayeade

I have a 3rd gen IPod and it does charge while plugged into the port on my 2013 Rt L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Spyderfun, I had a 2010 RTS and it DID charge the Ipod. Are you using the Ipod cable or the one that plugs into the headphone port? If port, it will not charge the Ipod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'll show up as "AUX" on your main display if you only plug it in through the headset...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    Spyderfun, I had a 2010 RTS and it DID charge the Ipod. Are you using the Ipod cable or the one that plugs into the headphone port? If port, it will not charge the Ipod

The iPod plug on the rt-side of the trunk that then plugs into the bottom of the iPod. Can see playlists and all. So it is "connected" to the bike correctly.
    Last edited by SpyderFun; 04-25-2014 at 12:46 AM.