Thread: Belt tension

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension

Would anyone know how many lbs belt tension is required for the drive belt on a 2012 RT-S
    I have a KR 1 v-belt tension gauge, is this sufficient?
    Last edited by EagleOil; 04-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

there are other methods..the belt twist comes to mind but for us the best is what Roger said..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The belt tension is properly measured with a sonic meter for reasons that I don’t really fully understand.

The best way to make the conversion would be to have your belt adjusted by the dealer and then measure it with your gauge (back wheel off the ground).

That would give you an approximation.

At least that’s what I did before I bit the bullet and bought a sonic meter.
    Roger, if I may be so nosey, what meter did you purchase and its approximate cost. Inquiring minds want to know
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i have seen a video on the "kricket".. much cheaper.. amazon.. google it... there is a great video from a guy "down under" he uses a kricket.. ..

Spyder Garage

Default Wow

I Just saw this video. NEVER DO THIS!!! To adjust the belt, it has to be stopped! Never Jack up the bike, in gear, and touch the axle and axle adjusters! That spinning wheel and belt can shear fingers off in a second! Mods, LAMONT, pull this right now!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Growin' up on the farm, that's the way we always adjusted belt and/or chain tension and alignment on our farm equipment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A bit of a dicey adjustment...
    But at least it helped me figure out how to use the Krikit II
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This video has been posted several times. Lemont even commented once that this is how he does it too.
    I did it this way myself and it all worked fine.

Just be careful!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

there is an element of danger here... it may seem scary to some.. i personally, would not hesitate to follow the steps laid out in the video.. having a certain level of confidence, and moving methodically, one shouldn't have a problem.. i like to work on my own stuff.. it seems like many spyder owners prefer to take them in to the dealers.. i guess, it's whatever works for the individual... lamont, what is your take? ..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just be careful...
    I'd rather meet you, while out riding...

...NOT in an emergency room!

After all: your video finally made the usage of the Krikitt clear to me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuckk View Post
    there is an element of danger here... it may seem scary to some.. i personally, would not hesitate to follow the steps laid out in the video.. having a certain level of confidence, and moving methodically, one shouldn't have a problem.. i like to work on my own stuff.. it seems like many spyder owners prefer to take them in to the dealers.. i guess, it's whatever works for the individual... lamont, what is your take? ..
    Me too Chuck. I had the 600 mile service done by the dealer but did my own 4800 and 9600 service. I actually like working on the spyder.

I see you are in Ventura. Have I met you on any of the SRA-LA rides?

Bob

Spyder Garage

As far as the video goes when you have to teach or "learn" the transmission on a Spyder you jack it up and go through the gears at 3000 rpm. That's a little freaky but it is an approved method by BRP. Like anything do this at your own risk and be aware of the possible dangers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

bob... i live in ventura, but do not own a spyder yet.. my aim is perhaps an f-3 ... gotta ride one first.. my friend has just purchased a new 2014 rs.. i have ridden that several times, and plan to ride it even more.. we ride hwy 33 mainly.. our local dealer (cal-coast motorsports) will be having a demo f-3.. i want to have as much spyder experience under my belt as possible before testing it... cal-coast is talking january, but who really knows.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chuck, see you on the road next year sometime!
    Be sure to catch up with the SRA-LA (Spyder Riders of America - LA chapter) group. They plan all kinds of rides and many up in your area.
    Let me know if you need contact info. They have a Facebook page.

Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

bob.... when you mention spyder riders of america, something comes to mind... my friend dave, and myself met a spyder rider at cal-coast.. he had a dark blue, if i'm not mistaken, 2012 rt... he was telling us of his bad luck with the bike he purchased.. it was a hell of a time to hear that kind of stuff, when my buddy dave was just closing his deal on the 2014 rs ... he wasn't hateful, but was very objective.. he had said, he discussed his troubles with fellow s.r.of america.. no one else had his kind of troubles.. you may know him by that information... does that ring any bells with you? ....