Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S Pulls to Right

I recently took delivery of a 2014 RT-S. While making the deal I added a laser alignment request. They indicated adjustment was made, however even at slow speed when you take pressure off handlebars vehicle immediately steers to right. Tire pressure equal, no apparent damage to wheel. If a laser alignment is done, and tech fails to reset steering in buds, could this cause a wheel pull? When I jacked up unit and spin wheel it appears to spin true. Thanks for any input

UPDATE: 4/18/14 Returned to dealer today, steering sensor reset, power steering recalibrated, still pulls right. Alignment rechecked all ok. Crossed switched tires and vehicle pulls left. I have decided to open a case with BRP.
    Last edited by Deputy56; 04-18-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps the laser alignment got botched-up?
    This isn't an electronics issue; something mechanical isn't quite right...
    I'd take it back to them; have them test-ride it, and then tell YOU what happened...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Take it back...I would be worried about safety.

Spyder Garage

Have them zero the steering sensors and redo the alignment if necessary, Be sure they used the proper alignment procedure for the 2013/2014 model. Better yet, get a ROLO/Outlaw alignment if you can. All laser alignment is not equal.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

They did not do or did something that is causing this. Take it back and have them get it right. They are not that bad out of the box...also ask what laser system they use for alignment, if any...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy56 View Post
    I recently took delivery of a 2014 RT-S. While making the deal I added a laser alignment request. They indicated adjustment was made, however even at slow speed when you take pressure off handlebars vehicle immediately steers to right. Tire pressure equal, no apparent damage to wheel. If a laser alignment is done, and tech fails to reset steering in buds, could this cause a wheel pull? When I jacked up unit and spin wheel it appears to spin true. Thanks for any input
    Aha!! My new 2014 has the same issue, as i stated a couple of weeks ago on this forum!! Now with 1900 miles, and it still pulls to the right. Can't relax on the bars for a moment without pulling to the right. Will slowly pull from the left lane over the road crown to thr right. Have had 2 lazer alignment checks, new left front tire replaced because of defective tire. New tire is just as bad as the first one! Steering sensor reset twice and is perfect. Wheels run true and not out of round. Rear tire and belt running true. Has dealer and can-am scratching their heads. So, have a new set of front tires coming Wed. Will try the Federal 165/55R15 on the fronts, as they can't be worse than the wobbly Kendas. Also a new set of Elka shocks for the front, on the way. Baja Rons roll bar installed before delivery Jan 27th. Wheel bearings checked and good; brake calipers checked and good. Never had this issue with my 2012, except bad Kenda tires, or any of my autos, without one of the above solving the issue. Hopefully good tires and shocks will help? Will follow up as things progress.

S
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Spyder Garage

By the way, alignments done by Mike at ROLO, in their shop at Edgewater, Fl. Buds steering reset at that time, so we know the alignment is correct.
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did your dealer align your Spyder with the Rolo/Outlaw Laser system? Some dealers use a laser that they strap to the brake rotor, which isn't accurate like the Rolo system. That said, we did align a 2014 RT that had the same problem as you are experiencing. His Spyder was delivered with a damaged right wheel, which the dealer replaced. The Spyder pulled to the right from the beginning and the alignment did not correct the problem. After trying for hours and hours to get rid of the pull he decided to swap the left front with the right. He didn't remount the tires, just swapped them from side to side. The result was that the Spyder then pulled to the left. He replaced the tires and the Spyder now goes straight down the road.

Another thing that we have noticed on many of the 2014s is that one wheel will have 10 or more wheel weights and the other will have a couple. My personal Spyder is that way too, I have 19 weights on the left and 7 on the right!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes my dealer has the rolo laser system. I have to fight the wheel to stay straight. When I start the vehicle the handle bars want to power to the right. My 2012 drove straight as an arrow.

Spyder Garage

Guys at this point two things come to mind.

The first is the dynamic steering. Is it viable that even though the alignment was accomplished and buds reset, that possibly the steering input is applying an application to turn the bars. This would or could mean there is some form of nulling the input force not just the position. This is the basis for power assist. A lesser input force is seen by a sensor. The sensor then outputs and a greater force is applied relative to the direction of the turn.

My second thought is to go old school and not only align the toe, but throw on a set of castor camber gages and see where the caster falls. Castor has a lot of effect on how a vehicle tracks. Possibly there are concerns with short or incorrect suspension arm length.

Just some ideas, not even certain they are both viable.

PK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yes my dealer has the rolo laser system. I have to fight the wheel to stay straight. When I start the vehicle the handle bars want to power to the right. My 2012 drove straight as an arrow.
    Try pulling the fuse or relay for the power steering and see if that makes a difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Try pulling the fuse or relay for the power steering and see if that makes a difference.
    That sir might prove to be a great simple troubleshooting idea. It will disable the power steering both at input and output. It may throw some codes, but should prove or eliminate the power steering and show the chassis is true.

Another what could be a simple check is to disconnect both inboard tie rods and secure them to the side. Start the vehicle but don't drive it. With no restriction on the steering, see if the bars tend to turn from center on their own. The see if you can find a location where the bars will not turn left or right, this is the nulled position of the steering and idealy it should be in a bars straight position.

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 04-15-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
    Aha!! My new 2014 has the same issue, as i stated a couple of weeks ago on this forum!! Now with 1900 miles, and it still pulls to the right. Can't relax on the bars for a moment without pulling to the right. Will slowly pull from the left lane over the road crown to thr right. Have had 2 lazer alignment checks, new left front tire replaced because of defective tire. New tire is just as bad as the first one! Steering sensor reset twice and is perfect. Wheels run true and not out of round. Rear tire and belt running true. Has dealer and can-am scratching their heads. So, have a new set of front tires coming Wed. Will try the Federal 165/55R15 on the fronts, as they can't be worse than the wobbly Kendas. Also a new set of Elka shocks for the front, on the way. Baja Rons roll bar installed before delivery Jan 27th. Wheel bearings checked and good; brake calipers checked and good. Never had this issue with my 2012, except bad Kenda tires, or any of my autos, without one of the above solving the issue. Hopefully good tires and shocks will help? Will follow up as things progress.

S
    Mine 2014 also pulls to the right.
    Had it laser aligned at the dealership and even after that
    it still pulls to the right maybe even just a tad more. The dealer
    was baffled about it and did not understand why.

You have to constantly keep your hand pulling back just a little bit
    or within a couple hundred feet it will be be in the ditch.

This is my third Spyder the other two a 08, and a 12 had some
    I would say normal steering issues but this is constant.

Nexus

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEXUS View Post
    Mine 2014 also pulls to the right.
    Had it laser aligned at the dealership and even after that
    it still pulls to the right maybe even just a tad more. The dealer
    was baffled about it and did not understand why.

You have to constantly keep your hand pulling back just a little bit
    or within a couple hundred feet it will be be in the ditch.

This is my third Spyder the other two a 08, and a 12 had some
    I would say normal steering issues but this is constant.

Nexus
    Looks like that's at least 3 of us within the same basic problem with our 2014's. Anyone else out there having these symptoms? Sooner or later we'll find out what's causing the issue.
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Spyder Garage

Hi everyone.

I have the Spyder Ann is talking about. The day I picked it up from the dealer it pulled to right and had a steering shake.
    When I got home I jacked the front end up and spun both front tires. Both tires where out of round and the right wheel
    did not look round. Called the dealer and told them about the problem. They got me a new wheel. After the new wheel was
    installed a lot of the shake was gone but it still pulled to the right. The pull to the right was bad enough that it would tire me
    out after riding for half an hour.

I had the alignment done by Joe and Ann when they were in long beach. They tried a few different things to try to get it to stop pulling to
    the right. The alignment did improve the ride a lot. but it still pulled. In the middle of all this I installed Elka shocks and a Baja Ron sway bar.

Joe and Ann where nice enough to come buy my place to try to recheck the alignment again. They spent almost 4 hours trying different
    things to get rid of the pull. Nothing seemed to help. It was 10pm and everyone was tired. So we called it a night.
    I got up the next morning and decided to swap the tires side to side. Went for a ride and now it pulled to the left.

So I called the dealer back and ordered two new tires got them put on and went on a 700 mile ride. The pull is 95% gone.
    No more steering shake. I have put 1500 miles on since I got the new tires. The spyder is a pleasure to ride now.
    If the road is truly flat I can take both hands off the bars and it will go strait. But if the road has slight crown it will
    drift to the direction of the crown.

I would like to find a better quality tire to try. But for know I am happy. I can't tell every one how frustrated I was for the first couple
    of months I have had my spyder. But now truly love riding every chance I get.

So My suggestion is swap the front wheels to see if it pull in the other direction. This is a quick way to see if it is a wheel and tire problem.
    I would like to measure the rim diameter where the tire seats from inside to outside net time my tires are off the rims.

I hope this info helps
    Last edited by Nils888; 04-16-2014 at 12:01 AM.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Nils888. I understand your frustration! Have a pair of new Federal 165/55R15 front tires going on mine friday. Had Kenda tire issues with my 2012 RT, and the 2014 has been no different! I also swapped tires side to side and my pull moved to the opposite side, so it is definately the tires. Will let all know how the new tires work, when installed.
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Spyder Garage

Tires will make for an easy fix. Should be right as delivered, but still an easy fix.

PK

Spyder Garage

Nils888. I understand your frustration! Have a pair of new Federal 165/55R15 front tires going on mine friday. Had Kenda tire issues with my 2012 RT, and the 2014 has been no different! I also swapped tires side to side and my pull moved to the opposite side, so it is definately the tires. Will let all know how the new tires work, when installed.

I will also try swapping tires and see what it does.

I also had gotten bad tires before.

Thanks for the info.

Nexus

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ar-Tire-Wobble

Come to find out it turned out to be a defective Kenda tire and according to the
    dealership this is not uncommon. They did replace it at no cost to me and
    was told they were turning it in under warranty. This was the OEM Kenda tire
    and the first one I really have had problems with.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Another stupid question from me...)
    Could it, by any chance, be due to a highly-crowned road that you're on?

Spyder Garage

Default right pull

Rolling resistance in a tire -- even new tires will cause this -- what upsets me is the fact that the alignment (supposedly) was done -- with no road test afterwards????? -- any good tech will road test a vehicle after they work on it -- take it back -- ask why no road test -- first have them swap tires for you and then YOU road test it -- thats basic troubleshooting -- caster is also an interesting issue as I dont believe there is any adjustment available for that unless it was damaged during shipment!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Another stupid question from me...)
    Could it, by any chance, be due to a highly-crowned road that you're on?
    It is not a stupid question.

I spent the first 1500 miles on every kind of road in Southern California. The pull to the right was always there.
    I just passed 3000 miles last weekend. I don't feel any pull in the handle bars with the new tires. But on some roads I can not take my hands
    off the bars. If I do it will slowly drift to the right.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    Luggage rack

Spyder Garage

Cool!!! Looking forward to hearing your results.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    Luggage rack

Spyder Garage

While making the deal I added a laser alignment request.
    As has been mentioned, not all Laser Alignments are the same. The three dealers in PA that are listed as ROLO/Outlaw (www.spydercomfort.com/dealers) equipped are:
    Triumph of Windber
    Windber,PA. 814-467-4830 ( ask for Tim)

Blackman's Cycle Center
    Emmaus, PA . 610-965-9865( ask for Steve)

Moto Sports Cycle
    Hanover, PA . 717-632-7093 ( ask for Ryan)

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
    Rolling resistance in a tire -- even new tires will cause this -- what upsets me is the fact that the alignment (supposedly) was done -- with no road test afterwards????? -- any good tech will road test a vehicle after they work on it -- take it back -- ask why no road test -- first have them swap tires for you and then YOU road test it -- thats basic troubleshooting -- caster is also an interesting issue as I dont believe there is any adjustment available for that unless it was damaged during shipment!
    We send all of our customers out for a test drive.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622