Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default LOOKS LIKE A DRAINAGE HOSE

Hi Guys..I noticed a small rubber hose under my RT that leakes a few drops of gasoline when I
    turn off the engine. What is going on?.Thanks
    Last edited by spydersino; 04-13-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Vent from the evap canister.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In fact; I believe that we've got at least three separate threads with ongoing discussions about how to stop the drip...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

don't overfill your tank, fill your tank slowly and will get better.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

With the system design (except for the 2014 RT with a redesigned system) you will likely never get rid of the drips. While all atmospheric vents from the emissions canister will show visible fumes from time to time, most cannot be seen readily as the hose end is not as readily seen. On the Spyder system is short and runs from a hot area to a cooler one. This allows fumes pushed from the hot gas tank to condense, then run out of the short hose before they can evaporate as they would on a larger system. I'm afraid it is something we will have to get used to. Insulating the gas tank, a higher/longer vent hose to the canister (atmospheric loop), or getting rid of some of the heat trapped inside the body may benefit.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    don't overfill your tank, fill your tank slowly and will get better.
    I have to strongly disagree. I removed the canister so if I overfill, it will be immediately apparent at the gas station.

After our last ryde our tanks were roughly 1/4 tank full and I could still see the fumes and both Spyders dripped with resulting spots about the size of the of a can of pop.

Again, overfilling is not the issue at least for those who have done the canistrrectomy.

I think Scotty has the better explanation about why it drips and I think a longer hose routed differently is the next thing to try.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, if it is condensation is it better to trap and drain the condensation back toward the tank, or allow it to drip on the outside. Figure the 14' setup appears to use the drain back to the tank approach with the canister mounted higher than the tank.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, with no canister installed, I've never had any liquid come out of that tube and I fill up right to the brim at every fueling.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep it's an ongoing problem. My 2013 RTS has puked fuel on the garage floor in a small puddle about the size of a small dinner plate and it went in for service. The dealer replace the evap canister and BRP gave me instruction not to overfill the tank. Well I picked the bike up Saturday and drive it home from the dealer and parked it in the garage, 30 minuets later there is a overwhelming smell of gas and a small puddle under it. The gas tank was between 1/4 and 1/2 full. I think the heated gas tank is producing way more fumes than the canister system can handle. Here's my thread on what happening with my bike, good luck with your as well... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...fuel-adventure
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's odd is that this heat/fuel thing doesn't seem to affect the RS nearly as much???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydersino View Post
    Hi Guys..I noticed a small rubber hose under my RT that leakes a few drops of gasoline when I
    turn off the engine. What is going on?.Thanks

Your bike has the same design defect as others. Report it to your dealer and NHTSA.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    So, if it is condensation is it better to trap and drain the condensation back toward the tank, or allow it to drip on the outside. Figure the 14' setup appears to use the drain back to the tank approach with the canister mounted higher than the tank.
    It takes some height above the tank to route the hose, and a canister far enough from the heat to allow the vapors to condense for them to run back to the tank. This is ideal, but seldom achieved...and it is nearly impossible with the short length of the Spyder emissions system (except 2014 RT) and the heat from the exhaust and lack of venting/air movement that drives off more fumes than the system can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I think the heated gas tank is producing way more fumes than the canister system can handle
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The part of this that I have never understood is why it is venting fumes while the bike is running at all. I understand why it would vent when the bike is shut down and the tank is hot and continues to expel fumes.

With the engine running, should not the purge valve be sucking the fumes into the intake? That's its function. There should be no reason for the fumes to go to atmosphere as long as the engine is running. I really think the whole vapor emissions system on the bike is an overall flawed design and wish the EPA would ask BRP to review and revised to meet the standards for the bikes. I can tell you without a doubt that it does not meet the requirements at this time. If you can smell fuel, you are WAY beyond the legal limits for gas vapor emissions while the engine is running.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have pictures of the inside of the evap canister? I am curious as to the design...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The part of this that I have never understood is why it is venting fumes while the bike is running at all. I understand why it would vent when the bike is shut down and the tank is hot and continues to expel fumes.

With the engine running, should not the purge valve be sucking the fumes into the intake? That's its function. There should be no reason for the fumes to go to atmosphere as long as the engine is running. I really think the whole vapor emissions system on the bike is an overall flawed design and wish the EPA would ask BRP to review and revised to meet the standards for the bikes. I can tell you without a doubt that it does not meet the requirements at this time. If you can smell fuel, you are WAY beyond the legal limits for gas vapor emissions while the engine is running.
    The canister collects the vapors and at a certain RPM then the purge valve opens and is suppose to clear the canister. This has to happen at higher RPM's or it causes an ill running engine, at the higher RPM's it is not noticeable that it is even doing anything.
    And your right about everything else on your post about the system being flawed, but heat is the flaw not the system design. It was never designed to cope with the high volume of vapors given off by the heated fuel... boiling in some cases!
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Addict; 04-15-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I could tell, with the limited time I messed with the purge valve is that it seemed to be more throttle position oriented than rpm.
    It seemed to be most active at idle, decel, and light throttle cruise.
    But what do I know?....