Spyder Garage

Default Average Miles Before Having to Add Oil? My machine is using a lot of oil ...

New development ... several weeks ago I took a trip - 1200 round trip miles - during and since my bike is using oil like crazy. Can't find any leaks Really confused, we seem to be adding every 150 to 200 miles. The oil barely touches the stick when we check it, husband just added a cup. I am using Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil. My husband thinks because the oil is so slippery it is not allowing the ringS to seat? He's a wrench but has never used Synthetic Motor Oil and does not have experience with the Spyders, and wants me to find out what you all think ... I have a 2013 ST-L Anyway, HELP!
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 04-12-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default By the manual???

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    New development ... several weeks ago I took a trip - 1200 round trip miles - during and since my bike is using oil like crazy. Can't find any leaks Really confused, we seem to be adding every 150 to 200 miles. The oil barely touches the stick when we check it, husband just added a cup. I am using Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil. My husband thinks because the oil is so slippery it is not allowing the ringS to seat? He's a wrench but has never used Synthetic Motor Oil and does not have experience with the Spyders, and wants me to find out what you all think ... I have a 2013 ST-L Anyway, HELP!
    Are you checking oil level as per instructions in owner's manual? Must follow exactly to get a true read on dipstick. Also consider using oil specifically formulated for motorcycles. AMSOIL has one.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We use 10W40 Motorcycle Oil from Amsoil, I don't know if 5W40 is the correct weight. I'm sure someone else will chime in on that. My 2010 and 2013 Spyders would burn a quart of oil in 3,500 miles.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Are you checking oil level as per instructions in owner's manual? Must follow exactly to get a true read on dipstick. Also consider using oil specifically formulated for motorcycles. AMSOIL has one.
    Yes I am checking the oil level per instructions in owner's manual ... I will check on the oil you mentioned. I'm assuming it's synthetic. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default OIL

It is possible the Amsoil car oil you have been using might be contributing to your heat problem. Use Amsoil 10W-40 motorcycle oil. I bet you will use less oil and you might even see a difference in the heat.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

As was said, be sure you check the oil by the manual.....at full operating temperature (after a ride) and with the dipstick screwed in. The oil you are using does not meet the BRP spec, which calls for a motorcycle oil. That may be adding to your oil usage. The oil should not be labeled for the API-SM rating. Although the spec calls for 5W-40, 10W-40 works acceptably for most of us.

Instead of "uses oil like crazy", it would help to keep track of the amount added and the miles traveled. In case you report it to your dealer, that is information he will need. I would not add oil to a 990 or 991 (V-twin) engine until it reaches the add mark, if you can help it. There is a tendency to blow oil by to the airbox if it is run at or above full. The V-twins do seem to use a little oil. A pint in 1,500-3,000 miles is not unusual at all. Some seem to use more than others.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 04-12-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    As was said, be sure you check the oil by the manual.....at full operating temperature (after a ride) and with the dipstick screwed in. The oil you are using does not meet the BRP spec, which calls for a motorcycle oil. That may be adding to your oil usage. The oil should not be labeled for the API-SM rating. Although the spec calls for 5W-40, 10W-40 works acceptably for most of us.

Instead of "uses oil like crazy", it would help to keep track of the amount added and the miles traveled. In case you report it to your dealer, that is information he will need. I would not add oil to a 990 or 991 (V-twin) engine until it reaches the add mark, if you can help it. There is a tendency to blow oil by to the airbox if it is run at or above full. The V-twins do seem to use a little oil. A pint in 1,500-3,000 miles is not unusual at all. Some seem to use more than others.
    Thank you, I am adding 1/2 pint every 150 to 200 miles. I will purchase AmsOil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks so much ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
    Thank you, I am adding 1/2 pint every 150 to 200 miles. I will purchase AmsOil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks so much ...
    That's quite a bit, more than a quart in a thousand. Let us know how a different oil works out. If there is no change I'd report it to your dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=NancysToy;791685]That's quite a bit, more than a quart in a thousand. Let us know how a different oil works out.

I'm going to look in the book for how to change the oil, is it hard? we are going to change the oil, get the old oil out and put the new oil in. I will let you know how it goes ... thanks again!
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 04-12-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

Jacque, I hope your first oil change goes better than mine did. Look up Near Disaster on Oil Change in ST shop talk. Use a 6mm hex bit for both plugs and a 5mm bit for the oil and transmission cover screws. Hopefully your dealer didn't put the plugs on so tight that they have to be drilled out. (Ask me how I know!!)
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=JacqueTanis;791705]
    That's quite a bit, more than a quart in a thousand. Let us know how a different oil works out.

I'm going to look in the book for how to change the oil, is it hard? we are going to change the oil, get the old oil out and put the new oil in. I will let you know how it goes ... thanks again!

Good Luck! Please let us know how the oil change project turns out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Jacque, I hope your first oil change goes better than mine did. Look up Near Disaster on Oil Change in ST shop talk. Use a 6mm hex bit for both plugs and a 5mm bit for the oil and transmission cover screws. Hopefully your dealer didn't put the plugs on so tight that they have to be drilled out. (Ask me how I know!!)
    Thanks so much, we did read your post. John is thinking of changing out the plugs from Electric Allen to Hex because the Allen type strip out too easily.

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

Think they have you covered on the measurment and correct oil with hints on oil change. Do have two more... Place the allen wrench in the drain plugs and hit them a few times with a hammer, this helps loosen them up. When changing filters on the SE models remove and replace each filter one at a time to avoid the mixing up of the bolts. They are different lengths and using the wrong one in the wrong place can cause you problems...take your time you'll be fine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

also use good quality allen wrenches cheap wrenches will damage the oil plugs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Think they have you covered on the measurment and correct oil with hints on oil change. Do have two more... Place the allen wrench in the drain plugs and hit them a few times with a hammer, this helps loosen them up. When changing filters on the SE models remove and replace each filter one at a time to avoid the mixing up of the bolts. They are different lengths and using the wrong one in the wrong place can cause you problems...take your time you'll be fine...

My husband did the oil change today. He removed the Allen drain plug and replaced with Hex drain plugs. He's happy with them. I'm not a wrench so if he's happy I'm happy ... lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And if You're happy; he's overjoyed!

Spyder Garage

I use 10W-40 Amsoil on both my SM-5 2011 RS-S and 2013 RT-S and they do well on oil, shifting is smooth and the engine runs cool. I usually carry a quart on long rides (300 miles one way), and between both Spyders I use very little of it.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And if You're happy; he's overjoyed!
    LOL You're a wise man you are indeed ... Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Approaching 31 years of wedded.... Bliss!

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know what the actual length of the bolts are for each filter on a 2010 RTS SE5?? I have a slight leak and it could be I've mixed up the bolts.

Spyder Garage

I use full synth 5W40 Motul ... great stuff made for motorcycles.

and sticking with the recommended weight. the BRP stuff is I think 5W40 semi synth for their summer kit and their winter kit has I thnk 5W40 full syth oil.

the bolts are not HEX but are TORX bolts.... either way better to switch the drain plugs to HEX head bolts. easier to get off and easier to torque to 20 nm when you put back.
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I use full synth 5W40 Motul ... great stuff made for motorcycles.

and sticking with the recommended weight. the BRP stuff is I think 5W40 semi synth for their summer kit and their winter kit has I thnk 5W40 full syth oil.

the bolts are not HEX but are TORX bolts.... either way better to switch the drain plugs to HEX head bolts. easier to get off and easier to torque to 20 nm when you put back.
    John say you are correct - he removed TORX bolts from my machine and replaced them with HEX Head Bolts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JRWW View Post
    Does anyone know what the actual length of the bolts are for each filter on a 2010 RTS SE5?? I have a slight leak and it could be I've mixed up the bolts.
    On my 2013 RS-S SE-5, the trans filter cover uses M6x35 socket head screws (short filter) and the engine filter cover uses M6x30 screws (long filter).