Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default reset parking brake light

does any one know how to reset the parking brake light. it remaines on even when the brake is released. this is on a 2010 rts and the brakes are ok.

Spyder Garage

When you press the brake button do the brakes release and engage proper? If brakes work like normal. It might me the, i think its called a limit switch. It is on right side behind the middle panel about where your knee would be. The parking brake cable goes from the rear brake up to an electric motor with a pulley type devise. There is a limit switch at the 6 o,clock position below this pulley. The wires or the switch might be messed up, or have some trash on it to keep it from engaging correct. Look at this link for picture http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...9&d=1278012652
    2014 Spyder RT Limited, Lees-sure Excell camper, Aluma MCTXL Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dar View Post
    When you press the brake button do the brakes release and engage proper? If brakes work like normal. It might me the, i think its called a limit switch. It is on right side behind the middle panel about where your knee would be. The parking brake cable goes from the rear brake up to an electric motor with a pulley type devise. There is a limit switch at the 6 o,clock position below this pulley. The wires or the switch might be messed up, or have some trash on it to keep it from engaging correct. Look at this link for picture http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...9&d=1278012652
    it always happens when i am parked on a incline when i release parking brake and apply brake pedal at the same time. Dealer has checked it 5 timses and says that it is mormal. i should also say that i have the sm5 tranny. yes the brakes do still set and release properly but the red parking lighr remains and not flashing as well as the small brake failure light.
    Last edited by willie; 04-12-2014 at 03:44 AM. Reason: add info

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    When you are experiencing the problem are there any active error codes?

To see active codes:
    Press MODE-SET-TURNSIGNAL CANCEL at the same time.
    Will check that but the BRP tech says no

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    it always happens when i am parked on a incline when i release parking brake and apply brake pedal at the same time. Dealer has checked it 5 timses and says that it is mormal. i should also say that i have the sm5 tranny. yes the brakes do still set and release properly but the red parking lighr remains and not flashing as well as the small brake failure light.
    Classic symptoms of low brake fluid. Top off the reservoir...it looks full even when it isn't, and between the incline and applying the brakes it can go low enough to trip the level switch. Also check the brake pads. Worn brake pads can accentuate or cause the same thing. The brake pads have to be measured. The minimum thickness is 1 mm...about the same as a worn dime.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Classic symptoms of low brake fluid. Top off the reservoir...it looks full even when it isn't, and between the incline and applying the brakes it can go low enough to trip the level switch. Also check the brake pads. Worn brake pads can accentuate or cause the same thing. The brake pads have to be measured. The minimum thickness is 1 mm...about the same as a worn dime.
    I have done all that just need to know how to turn off the park light without having to go to the dealer every time. this makes 5 times it has come on starting back in 2010.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

I would go to the switches. Brake pedal as well as park brake. Sounds like it is in there. Clean them spray some wd-40 on them and adjust if needed. Also make sure pedals are also moving freely. Jmo...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I would go to the switches. Brake pedal as well as park brake. Sounds like it is in there. Clean them spray some wd-40 on them and adjust if needed. Also make sure pedals are also moving freely. Jmo...
    Thank
    s all you guys. i will recheck every thing. meanwhile i have ordered a DVD of the shop service manual.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have done all that just need to know how to turn off the park light without having to go to the dealer every time. this makes 5 times it has come on starting back in 2010.
    The light resets when the problem is cleared. Recheck everything...your problem still exists.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!