Spyder Garage

Default 2012 rss se5 rolling while off in 1st gear??

I have had my 2012 rss se5 for a year. I have always left it in 1st gear when parking in "sketchy" areas and applied the parking break. (It would never budge while parked and in 1st gear.) I have done this because I have always felt like someone could just disengage the parking break and roll my spyder away. Tonight for the first time I left it in 1st gear and before I put parking brake on I noticed it was able to roll forwards and backwards. I am at a loss why this suddenly could happen, in fact just a few days ago I was out late and parked it in gear and it did not roll. Can anyone give me advise on this issue?
    Also can someone with a 2012 rss se5 turn there spyder off in 1st gear and tell me if it can be moved with out parking brake on? Thank you in advance.

Spyder Garage

The SE will roll in gear because the centrifugal clutch disengages when shut off. You just never realized it before. That is why the SE has a parking brake alarm (at least on the RT).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

The RS-S SE5 also has a parking brake alarm. I think that all of the semi-autos do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    The RS-S SE5 also has a parking brake alarm. I think that all of the semi-autos do.
    So does the SM5 (Manual). Very rare, but I've had the RT beep because I parked on a hill, but I can't remember if it was in gear (which I usually do) or I hit reverse with the parking brake on.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The SE will roll in gear because the centrifugal clutch disengages when shut off. You just never realized it before. That is why the SE has a parking brake alarm (at least on the RT).
    Not to insult the OP-- -- but I'm at a loss as to how anyone can own an RS for a year without realizing that the SE goes to neutral once you shut it off. Between the free rolling, the alarm beeping, the owner's manual, the fact that it always starts up in neutral... really??

To me it's up there with, "Hey, I've owned this Spyder for a year now, and I just noticed it's got THREE wheels, is there something wrong with my motorcycle?"
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With SE5 it is a good idea to be sure that your parking brake is properly adjusted. I always lock the handlebars too. That way, if somebody were to release the brake while it was parked, it would not roll too far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Not to insult the OP-- -- but I'm at a loss as to how anyone can own an RS for a year without realizing that the SE goes to neutral once you shut it off. Between the free rolling, the alarm beeping, the owner's manual, the fact that it always starts up in neutral... really??

To me it's up there with, "Hey, I've owned this Spyder for a year now, and I just noticed it's got THREE wheels, is there something wrong with my motorcycle?"
    When you put it that way; it sounds pretty funny!

Live, and learn...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Sorry know it all but it does not. You can turn it off in gear and it does not go into neutral until your foot is applied to the brake and started, it then goes into neutral. Maybe you should know what your talking about before you comment. The alarm beeping/ parking brake has nothing to do about anything I was asking. My concern was I would leave in gear and it would never be able to roll with out brake on now it does. If you can't help with that, then keep your comments to yourself.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    My question is not about the parking brake or it's alarm. I am fully aware of its functions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That's what manual says but when shut down while in 1st it would not roll

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because the centrifugal clutch is disengaging; the bike will be free to roll off on it's own...
    Don't ask me how I know this...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by librathe13th View Post
    Sorry know it all but it does not. You can turn it off in gear and it does not go into neutral until your foot is applied to the brake and started, it then goes into neutral. Maybe you should know what your talking about before you comment. The alarm beeping/ parking brake has nothing to do about anything I was asking. My concern was I would leave in gear and it would never be able to roll with out brake on now it does. If you can't help with that, then keep your comments to yourself.
    I apologize, I was making a joke. But I assure you, I know exactly what I'm talking about with the Spyder, having ridden not only my own but other models (RT, ST) for three years now.

But, given the chance that this behavior was always present in my SE5 and I somehow never noticed it once in those three years, I just left my office to the parking lot to run through the following routine:

1. Shut bike off in neutral using both key and kill switch: Spyder rolls free until I apply the parking brake, as we both would expect.

2. Select first gear, shut off using both key and kill switch: rolls free until I apply the parking brake. This is how my bike has always worked, but I'll of course accept that your bike behaves differently.

FYI, even while the bike is *running* in first gear, my bike rolls free without the parking brake, i.e. I hopped off while it was running and in first and my Spyder behaves the same as if the engine was off.

3. Select reverse, shut off using both key and kill switch: just for grins, I tried this, and the bike rolls free until I apply the parking brake.

Bottom line: the only way *my* Spyder RS SE5 doesn't move, in gear or not, is if the parking brake is engaged. (*Fully* engaged... I gotta tighten that sucker back up again!).

As for this, you wrote: "You can turn it off in gear and it does not go into neutral until your foot is applied to the brake and started, it then goes into neutral." How do you start your bike *without* applying your foot to the brake?

That said, I do believe you are correct there, insofar as when started the gear indicator light is dark until it shows "N". But I think that's just the indicator light behavior-- as others above me said, the SE5 clutch disengages once the bike is shut off, i.e. it's practically indistinguishable from neutral. Or, at least, it's *supposed* to disengage-- and your bike may not. Or, it *didn't* before now.

So, to sum up:
    -- I'm genuinely sorry for the snark.
    -- My experience is completely different than yours.
    -- *One of us* has a weird Spyder!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

If you shut it off in 1st gear it stays in 1st gear Until you start it with your foot on the brake.
    When I test my rear alignment and start it jacked, run it in first, and shut it off I have to put my foot on the brake to start it and then it will change from 1st gear to neutral.
    Last edited by Sarge707; 04-11-2014 at 12:32 PM.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    If you shut it off in 1st gear it stays in 1st gear Until you start it with your foot on the brake. When I test my rear alignment and start it jacked, run it in first, and shut it off I have to put my foot on the brake to start it and then it will change from 1st gear to neutral.
    Thank you, I'll take your word for it. Still doesn't stop my Spyder from rolling, though.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    If you shut it off in 1st gear it stays in 1st gear Until you start it with your foot on the brake.
    When I test my rear alignment and start it jacked, run it in first, and shut it off I have to put my foot on the brake to start it and then it will change from 1st gear to neutral.
    The confusion is that when you shut it off it mechanically disengages. When you turn it on it goes into 1st...engaging...as that is where it was left.
    Hopefully this helps.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One the revs drop below the engagement threshold; it's going to act exactly as an SM-equipped bike does with the clutch pulled in...
    "Bye-bye; bike!"

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

I do believe you can leave the Se5 in gear but the clutch will not be engaged. Now the roadster will roll but not as easily as when in nuetral. If parked on level area it may seem like it won't roll off but if inclined or giving it a good push it will. Sm5 as soon as you release the clutch lever it is fully engaged...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

To sum it up.

An SE5 will roll even in gear because the the clutch is not engaged. It may be a surprise to some but this has come up before. It is mentioned in the owners guide.
    An SE5 will start in any gear but BRP has programed the Spyder not to engage the starter in gear unless the brake pedal is depressed for safety reasons and after the engine starts it will shift to neutral. It was and maybe still is a common myth, that somehow without hydraulic pressure the HCM is somehow able to shift gears.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I do believe you can leave the Se5 in gear but the clutch will not be engaged. Now the roadster will roll but not as easily as when in nuetral. If parked on level area it may seem like it won't roll off but if inclined or giving it a good push it will. Sm5 as soon as you release the clutch lever it is fully engaged...

exacly what I experence with my 2012 RS SE5

I know this because when I warm the spyder up in the morning I hand push it out of the garage before I turn it on. If it is in 1st its very hard to push and I realize it is still in first

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=daveinva;790972]I apologize, I was making a joke. But I assure you, I know exactly what I'm talking about with the Spyder, having ridden not only my own but other models (RT, ST) for three years now.

Did not sound like you were joking. People should be free to ask questions without someone chiming in to tell them how stuipd they are.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well....
    Dave might have jumped in on the "heavy" side.
    But this is something that becomes pretty self-evident; quickly.
    Let's back away from that portion of this one...

Spyder Garage

Cool

That's what manual says but when shut down while in 1st it would not roll
    It might not roll easily, but it *will* in fact roll if pushed or pulled firmly enough the clutch is free with the engine at idle or turned off... the only thing that will prevent an SE model from rolling are the wheel brakes (or rear parking brake) being applied. Since the parking brake can be disengaged (either intentionally or by accident by someone messing with it), it's always best to have the steering locked to 1 side or the other when parking these machines in a public area as well as the parking brake firmly applied. I always give mine a good firm tug on the rear grab handles before walking away from it.

So, you just never realized this before... not a big deal. I didn't realize for 9 months that I could open the frunk lid withing turning the ignition off 1st! Just when you think you know everything about the Spyder, you learn something new... lol!

Now, what does that S button on the dash do? And I can't figure out how to set the clock, again! Arghhh!

Cheers!

- Michael