Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Ecsta AST Tire Question

I was talking to someone yesterday about the Kumho Ecsta AST on the rear of an RT. Their comment was that while it would wear longer than the OEM tire it wouldn't provide as much traction or be as safe.

What say those of you who have been using this tire?

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

That tire is rated to support a vehicle that weighs over 3500 lbs..........I think it has enough strength to support the Spyder.............Let's face facts, the Spyder drives like a car. So why not put car tires on it................And I wouldn't put KENDA'S on my lawn tractor .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Except for on BFGoodrich, all my replacements have been the Kumho. I don't drive aggressively so traction is no issue for me.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Ecsta AST Tire Question

I replaced the rear tire with a Toyo Proxes 4, a Falken and a Khumo. All these tires were very good and much better than the Kenda scrap. Khumo is a good choice.

Spyder Garage

My son has installed these on several spyders and has never had a traction complaint. It will soon be a mute issue though, cause as the toyo proxes went by by so are the kumho's. They stopped making these a while back, in fact this size is disappearing except in a race tire.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO X 3

i have KUMHO's @ all 3 corners.... wouldn't have it any other way....
    i'm on my 2nd KUMHO in the rear... these tire out-perform the KENDA by a factor of 10X's...
    i would even go so far as to advise BRP to install the KUMHO's at the factory. whoever made the decision to use KENDA must have been a 'dreamer'...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

FRONT SAM_0451.jpg REAR SAM_0367.jpg

Spyder Garage

Sitting at Honda House this moment having a new Kumho mounted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho

put one on about 2 weeks ago. did a 490 miler the other day. LOVED IT! I like a stiffer rear end and she tracked and traveled great. No ill effects so far but will post when I get more mileage out of it.
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I never had any trouble with the Kumho; I'm sorry to hear that it'll be disappearing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They use Kenda as the oem tire because of money! They got the best deal from Kenda when putting out the bid. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I used that same rear tire when I had my Spyder with excellent results. I'd recommend it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    They use Kenda as the oem tire because of money! They got the best deal from Kenda when putting out the bid. Tom
    Kenda appears to have been the low-bidder, and so is our only choice for a 225/50-R15 rear motorcycle tire...
    ...Although Vee tires might be changing that!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Sitting at Honda House this moment having a new Kumho mounted.

Update. Took. Little over one shop hour and was on my way. Could not feel any difference but do feel safer.

Spyder Garage

Default GS not RT; but

I guess I will be the contrarian here. I am on my third Kumho rear tire, so obviously I think they are a good choice for quality versus price. I am very happy with the mileage. I do however feel that they are Not as good on wet weather only traction as the Kenda. Dry traction is fine. IMHO.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT THE REASON .....DAN

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i have KUMHO's @ all 3 corners.... wouldn't have it any other way....
    i'm on my 2nd KUMHO in the rear... these tire out-perform the KENDA by a factor of 10X's...
    i would even go so far as to advise BRP to install the KUMHO's at the factory. whoever made the decision to use KENDA must have been a 'dreamer'...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

FRONT SAM_0451.jpg REAR SAM_0367.jpg
    ......Not a dreamer........But if you follow the MONEY you will learn why BRP and KENDA are in BED .............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's just "Follow MIke".
    What's the rest of the story??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    My son has installed these on several spyders and has never had a traction complaint. It will soon be a mute issue though, cause as the toyo proxes went by by so are the kumho's. They stopped making these a while back, in fact this size is disappearing except in a race tire.
    I was looking for tire options for a friend and all I saw were race tires. Check out the new Arachnid at spydercomfort.com. It is a little pricey but looks good.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have been running the Khumo Ecsta tires on the rear of my Spyder for more than 60K miles...no issues, traction or otherwise.
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was looking for tire options for a friend and all I saw were race tires. Check out the new Arachnid at spydercomfort.com. It is a little pricey but looks good.
    I have know about these for some time now and agree about them being pricey and I have know about the size going away for a year so I have prepared for it..
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......Not a dreamer........But if you follow the MONEY you will learn why BRP and KENDA are in BED .............Mike
    i know this all too well Mike....
    having worked for a jet engine manufacturer for almost 4 decades, and ALWAYS being pushed to find the LOWEST BIDDER, all i have to say is a few buck$ saved initially, has a very negative long term effect....

if you want to present your product as THE BEST... you don't put 2nd rate parts on it......

how much more would we pay for a SPYD3R with KUMHO's versus Kenda's.....??? $50...???? i'll gladly pay it.....

Spyder Garage

Default Installed Khumo rear tire

Hi Mike & All, well, I finally installed another Khumo rear tire on my 2012 RT Limited yesterday. Actual miles of my last Khumo at installation was 14,673 miles. Not bad, I'd say. I'd post a photo if I could figure out how, from my iPad where I have the photo of the old Khumo with just over 14,000 miles on it. I know I could have gotten over 15,000 on it, as the wear marks were not yet gone, but I had oil and service, and Spark Plugs changed, so took advantage of having my Dealer change the Khumo. I am a die hard Fan of the Khumo rear tire for my Spyder.,I agree that BRP should deli ver all new Spyders with Khumo tires,...along with proper Alignment of tires. By the way, my Spyder clocked 32,300 miles at rear tire installation, so this is the 4 th rear tire. Two OEM Kendra's, and now the 2nd Khumo. I had my Dealer slightly adjust the Toe Out of one of my front tires, that is wearing, to correct my wear problem on the inside of my right front. I have a new pair of Bridgestones ready to install when I change out the Kendra's.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Replaced the wifes Kenda last Spring with a Kumho...

Just put 2 Kumhos on the front so now she has an all Kumho ride. Fronts balanced up better with the Kumho Solus KH16 and roll very nice. Also ordered 2 Kumho Ecsta ASTs for the rears on our bikes, since we both have about 6,000 on the rears again. Very happy with the ride and longevity of the Kumhos. Only have 6,000 miles on the front 15" Kendas, and they are starting to feather like the wifes OEM set. Both bikes were aligned, different dealers/alignment, so it must be the Kendas. Had the OEM tires flipped (remounted) and rebalanced and hope to get another 6K out of the fronts before I try something else.... Looking forward to more miles and smiles this weekend!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

+1 for Kumho on the Spyder. I have Kumho Solus 175/65R14 on front and the Kumho Ecsta 225/55R15 on the rear. Whoever said the Ecsta was being discontinued in an older post was incorrect. The DOT code shows my Kumho Ecsta was made late in 2015. I have no complaints about handling or traction with this set up.

BTW - Kenda tires are made in China where they specialize in such high performance applications as golf carts, wheel barrels and dollies. BRP is with them for the money. The only reason I can come up with for the sidewall markings calling them special motorcycle tires is to prevent anyone from mounting them on a car - they cannot meet the load requirement for a car.
    2009 Spyder Roadster
    Full-time in a 2003 Alpine Coach
    40' motorhome - we live where we're parked

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Would love to put these on my ryde and have done my research. Issue is. The only dealer remotely close to me that laser aligns will touch my ryde unless factory tires are put on.

Spyder Garage

Default Get your alignment done with the old skins, then put your choice of tires on Uself

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman129 View Post
    Would love to put these on my ryde and have done my research. Issue is. The only dealer remotely close to me that laser aligns will touch my ryde unless factory tires are put on.
    OR catch Squared Away or Precisyon sometime when they're coming East and get a top notch alignment!! Or schedule a trip to Springfield MO and have Pitbull or Lamonster set you straight.

May not be the most convenient to you, but I like to have choices to meet what I think a tire should ride and wear like!!
    Check out some of the Spyder tire change you tube tutorials to see if they fit your toolset and skills. A smooth ride is your reward
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss