Spyder Garage

Default RS-Se5 and high RPMS

...My buddy has a 2012 RS-Se5 with less than 4kmiles..He purchased the bike in 2012... His dealer inspected the bike to identify the cause of transmission inability to shift pass 3rd gear and high engine temps... The
    gear sensor was replaced & re-calibrated and he was instructed to remain in 3rd gear until his speed reaches 65mph because the RS is designed to operate at higher rpms than the RT/ST... He also has TBR dual exhaust.

I would appreciate some feedback /opinions on this subject.
    . thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default need to shift at

With the se5 you need to shift with rpm higher then 3500 rpm to make sure the clutch has fully engaged. Below 3500 rpm the clutch has not fully engaged and Can do damage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    With the se5 you need to shift with rpm higher then 3500 rpm to make sure the clutch has fully engaged. Below 3500 rpm the clutch has not fully engaged and Can do damage.

........... But he runs 5k-6k rpms before he shifts to 3rd and the same for 4th... Aren't the operating instructions posted somewhere on this site?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default POWER BAND

The V-twin rotax is a double overhead cam engine with 4 valves per cylinder and yes they run best at higher RPM's the power band is right around the 5k to 6k range so yes you don't need to shift into 5th gear until about 70 MPH or so. It seems strange at first however it will all make sense once you try it you will notice how smooth the engine is and how much more power you have when you want it or need it and yes shifting gears below 3500 RPM will wear your clutch out and is also not good to lug the engine. Keep her wound up you will love it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    The V-twin rotax is a double overhead cam engine with 4 valves per cylinder and yes they run best at higher RPM's the power band is right around the 5k to 6k range so yes you don't need to shift into 5th gear until about 70 MPH or so. It seems strange at first however it will all make sense once you try it you will notice how smooth the engine is and how much more power you have when you want it or need it and yes shifting gears below 3500 RPM will wear your clutch out and is also not good to lug the engine. Keep her wound up you will love it.
    Thanks, I'll pass it on...

Spyder Garage

My ride is a 2012 RSS Se5 with a Hindle exhaust which now has 25,762 miles on it Too be honest I can't relate much to shifting at a certain speed. I shift by the sound of my engine which generally is at 5 - 6 K on the tach at each shift. I find my baby's sweet spot to be about 5200 - 5500 rpm. I can't say much about the RT, because I've never ridden one. Besides I know I'll get a lot of crap from everybody, but I'm only 45 and they remind me of something my grandpa would drive or should say, could afford. Sorry to hear of your friends problems. Other than basic maintenance and a coil, I've been pretty much problem free. Just my 2 cents

Spyder Garage

Hmmm, doesn't sound right to me, 65 mph is easily a 4th gear speed on the RS.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow...
    I'm shifting up into sixth gear with this 1330 at 45 mph... or less!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Wow...
    I'm shifting up into sixth gear with this 1330 at 45 mph... or less!
    .....​Have Mercy.....lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder in La. View Post
    .....​Have Mercy.....lol
    I upshift shift into the different gears at or about 6k for every gear - the spyder loves the High RPM and the power ban is in that range no need to down shift in a lower gear if you need to pass someone.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder in La. View Post
    .....​Have Mercy.....lol
    I'm just a "Low, and Slow" kind of a guy...
    ...And this 1330/SE-6 combination just fits my style!

Upshifts at 2,000 rpm; who would have ever thought that possible?

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Question was.....

"..My buddy has a 2012 RS-Se5"

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

With those above. It is hard to get used to running high rpm's on these v-twins. Even not haven riden by sound and seeing movies most feel all twins are like harley's. We did have one fella who complaind and finally got rid of the roadster because he couldn't run it at low rpm's...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    "..My buddy has a 2012 RS-Se5"

.... LOL.... I own a 2013 ST-L ... This is his first bike and he's convinced that he can't shift to 4th gear at less than 65mph. My concern is the potential damage to his engine as the weather gets warmer..

..Again, thanks for feedback!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RED LINE

Red line is at about 9K for the V-twin rotax so as long as he keeps it well below 9K he can't really hurt the engine and yes 65 in third gear will be pushing the engine to higher RPM's than necessary he should be in 4th gear at that speed. Like many people have said if he keeps it in the power band somewhere between 5K to 6K for cruising it will run like a top and no worries.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just because the motors power band is at 6k doesn't mean its a good idea to cruise there... While it won't hurt the motor, your just wasting fuel. Dont be afraid to shift up. Just don't cruise with the revs much under 4k.
    FYI- 55mph is 3800-3900rpms in 5th gear......

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-12-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think of it this way, your car probably makes its best power at 5k rpms, but you don't cruise down the highway or around town at those engine speeds

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    55mph is exactly 4000 rpm's in 5th gear on my 2012 RS SE5 (and has been since I got it at 880 miles on the odometer). And I mean, EXACTLY 4000 rpm's, on a level roadway no passenger mostly emptry frunk. I keep tire pressures at ~5 psi over recommended max pressure.

I prefer to upshift between 3500 and ~4K rpm's for normal accelleration... under hard accelleration I get up to 5K rpm's or higher before I upshift. I generally avoid accellerating that hard though during my rides.

Just because max power is made at higher rpm's with the Rotax V-twins doesn't mean that's the ideal rpm range to upshift. To each their own, though.

I'm at ~4500 miles now and have experienced no mechanical issues with the powertrain at all. Little weirdness with the fuel gauge just once, not sure why and hasn't done that again.

- Michael

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just ride them like you stole them you will be fine LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Just because the motors power band is at 6k doesn't mean its a good idea to cruise there... While it won't hurt the motor, your just wasting fuel. Dont be afraid to shift up. Just don't cruise with the revs much under 4k.
    Thank you!