Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Did the Newest Software Tweak Fix The Heat on the 2013's?

I just got back from an 80 mile ride at mostly freeway speeds. Last year, after a ride that far, my glove box would be hot, and if I lifted the seat, the heat coming up from the place where the seat latch is, would be hot enough to burn skin . . . today, it was just warm air! Now, it was only in the high 50's, low 60's for my ride, but this is encouraging!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

That sounds just like my bike, same issues. I haven't had my update performed yet. Hope I see good results like you are seeing. I was also thinking about deleting the CAT. I only have 1500 miles and I haven't ridden yet this year. LOTS OF DAMN POT HOLES AND LOTS OF ROAD SALT. Hopefully get out this weekend.

Spyder Garage

Jury is still out with me. I did have one day about a week or so ago that it got up into the mid 80s. My ambient temp gauge was reading 100 degrees. (whatever that guage is that reads the temp inside) and I was not experiencing the heat from my corbin gas door like I had before the bulletin was performed. The ole "black torch hole" was still hotter than hell, but the area where you were describing was much cooler to me.

I'm gonna wait though till we get temps in the mid to upper 90s before I really give my seal of approval.

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 04-09-2014 at 08:24 PM.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm having similar results...before the service bulletin gas cap way too hot ...now warm to touch....the air around that area is not as hot.....we'll see...I'm keeping a positive attitude....I so want this 2013 ST to run right

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

My 2014 right grille mod has solved my hot foot issue. I do notice the bike runs a little different but temps have not been high enough to say for sure. I solved the gas cap and backbone heat issues ,as well as the glove box, with the added insulation I did I am sure you saw the pics or just go to my album. The BRP foam on the plastic around the cap area really helped. My only worry is what is the heat doing to the plastic and rubber inside the Tupperware. I do not think any software will totally resolve the 2013 issues due to rearranging the guts on a 2014 frame. They should have just waited till the engine was ready before switching frames and component positions IMHO. The 2013 may very well be the ugly duck of the Spyders and I still think BRP should be giving us added incentives to trade up since their engineers failed us.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes.

We have ridden in the 75-90 degree range the last 2 weeks after having the latest recall and I feel there is an improvement in perceived temps. Also improved consistent operating in low speed 12-20 mph range.

Spyder Garage

all sounds pretty encouraging to me....
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I guess what we need is a 2012 vs 2013 comparison if any one has both.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I'm having similar results...before the service bulletin gas cap way too hot ...now warm to touch....the air around that area is not as hot.....we'll see...I'm keeping a positive attitude....I so want this 2013 ST to run right
    Me, too, Charlyne . . . I really want this baby to work well . . . lots of long trips coming up, with the big one being a ride to Tucson AZ and back, in April of 2015 . . . now that I'm retired, its time to do all the fun things I passed on while working and raising a family!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I am really glad to hear some of us are having good results so far. I will be getting my update soon I hope.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep I'm going to hold all judgment till the summertime temps return, however the bike is running way better now than when it was new. Now to see if my dealer can come up with an answer to why it's puking fuel out the evap canister vent. Dropped it off yesterday and have heard nothing so far.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I just got back from an 80 mile ride at mostly freeway speeds. Last year, after a ride that far, my glove box would be hot, and if I lifted the seat, the heat coming up from the place where the seat latch is, would be hot enough to burn skin . . . today, it was just warm air! Now, it was only in the high 50's, low 60's for my ride, but this is encouraging!
    I have ridden about 300 miles with the 2013-9 update. My seems to me to have more pep, less heat radiation, and less vibration with the installation of a SmoothSpyder belt tensioner. If you have not had the update done, I would highly recommend that you do so. It is free, and it really does make a difference. All it takes is some of your time.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Just got my 2013 RT Limited out of winter storage today. Dealer said all the updates were made, and I had them install a fan can and blocking plate. Rode 40 miles at highway speeds with air temps in the high 60's, and the radiant heat under the seat was nothing like I'd ever felt before. I am NOT looking forward to this summer if it continues. So, I came to SpyderLovers and went looking for a thread discussing this issue and I'm hoping I found one. Can anyone tell me if this is something you've experienced, and if you fixed it how you did? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I guess I am the odd man out on this. I never thought the heat was a big deal on my 2013 RT-S but after the update the heat is worse and starting to get painful on the chestnuts. I have heat radiating from under the front of the seat now and the glove box is so hot I won't put my phone or camera in there. Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Default No Change

The update did not help at all.

Spyder Garage

I had the update performed two weeks ago. My Spyder runs much better. It is definitely smoother and feels more peppy. I am always careful when I fill the tank. I took a 200 mile ride yesterday. Temperature was in the upper 70s. My seat was getting uncomfortably hot the last 50 miles and there was considerable heat coming from area between the compartment and the front of the seat. Most of the ride was highway and the temperature gage was in the middle of the scale. I could smell gas as I rode back into town and waited at stop lights. I pulled into the driveway and went inside. I came back out 5 minutes later and there was a puddle under my Spyder. I got down on the ground and there was gas on the end of the vent tube and you could see the gas vapor coming from the vent tube. I got my laser heat gun and took some temperature readings. The seat was 126 degrees. I took the gas cap off and got a reading of 140 inside the gas tank then I got down and checked the catalytic converter and it was 476 degrees. I am convinced that the vapor and gas puddle was caused by the heat and the evap canister being saturated. I am very disappointed.

I will be making an appointment to go back to the dealer to get my canister replaced.

Spyder Garage

I would recommend a canisterectomy (which the dealer is not likely to do) and removing the cat and putting in a y-pipe and replacing the air box with JT's air filter. Just doing the air filter cooled my wife's RT down and we are convinced the cat delete will make it even cooler. The canister system seems to bexa very poor design and have not seen anyone here regret removing it.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I've put like 1000 miles on the spyder......after update completed.....the gas cap is cooler....have not had boiling gas or gas smell......temps in low 80's.....waiting for 2014 air-flow panels to arrive....hoping that improves air-intake and cools even more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have ridden about 300 miles with the 2013-9 update. My seems to me to have more pep, less heat radiation, and less vibration with the installation of a SmoothSpyder belt tensioner. If you have not had the update done, I would highly recommend that you do so. It is free, and it really does make a difference. All it takes is some of your time.
    Where can I find out more about what's in the 2013-9 update?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    I would recommend a canisterectomy (which the dealer is not likely to do) and removing the cat and putting in a y-pipe and replacing the air box with JT's air filter. Just doing the air filter cooled my wife's RT down and we are convinced the cat delete will make it even cooler. The canister system seems to bexa very poor design and have not seen anyone here regret removing it.
    You may be right but when you pay this much you should not have spend a lot more money and time to fix BRP's design flaws. I have ridden several Hondas and never had to do anything except regular maintenance. BRP needs to get it's act together and make this right.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just picked mine up from the dealer that replaced the evap canister and I was told not to overfill the gas tank. Temps are hovering around 80 today on the ride home and upon pulling it into the garage and shutting it off I noticed an extreme amount of gas vapors pouring out from that vent line under the bike. If you hold your hand close to that vapor stream it is hot enough to burn you, grabbed the thermal gun and I'm getting around 167 degrees at that hose end, and that's venting from the tank!! The gas tank is between 1/4 and a half so it NOT overfilled.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Just picked mine up from the dealer that replaced the evap canister and I was told not to overfill the gas tank. Temps are hovering around 80 today on the ride home and upon pulling it into the garage and shutting it off I noticed an extreme amount of gas vapors pouring out from that vent line under the bike. If you hold your hand close to that vapor stream it is hot enough to burn you, grabbed the thermal gun and I'm getting around 167 degrees at that hose end, and that's venting from the tank!! The gas tank is between 1/4 and a half so it NOT overfilled.
    I am sorry to hear that. BRP needs to step up and resolve the heat issues. Clearly this is not being caused by overfilling the tank. I am afraid to pull mine into the garage until it has cooled completely as I don't want it to catch fire and burn my house down.

Spyder Garage

are you saying the dealer replaced the evap canister and when you got home same shi#....the 13's are a wreck....

Spyder Garage

And of course "Steve" from BRP will not comment on this thread. I had fumes on my last ride in the low 80's and have had drips and saw the fumes spew. I was hoping the 2013-9 was going to work but I doubt it will. It does seem to run better but the heat has nothing to do with how the engine is running. It is all about putting a 2012 engine in a 2014 frame and moving explosive components too close to extreme heat without enough ventilation. I too have never over filled the tank. Some dealers (&BRP) should read here they might learn to quit blaming the owners we are not as stupid as they think and we know how to fill our tanks. BRP needs to own up to it's design flaw and actually listen to us for a change instead of blaming us.
    Last edited by Magdave; 04-12-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    are you saying the dealer replaced the evap canister and when you got home same shi#....the 13's are a wreck....
    Yep that is what he was saying.