Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default GA passed the blue light law 8 or 10 years ago

In GA, no blue lights anywhere. I had a nice 1999 HD Dyna Super Sport with the blue dots in the red brake lights. The first week of the new law. I got stopped and the gentleman was pretty excited to get his first criminal for anything blue. I recognized him from active duty and when I took my helmet off, we had a great reunion on the side of the road. No ticket, but I took em off that day and still have em in case the law changes. They actually looked pretty darn nice on my all black bike. I think the blue light law was a result of the then new headlights, some of which are really blue and blinding.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

In California the CHP told me that they are VERY aggressive about red and blue lights. It seems a few years back some guy was faking a police car with red and blue lights, pulling girls over, then raping them. Now, as I was told, the CHP I pounds cars and motorcycles with blue lights or red front facing lights.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    In California the CHP told me that they are VERY aggressive about red and blue lights. It seems a few years back some guy was faking a police car with red and blue lights, pulling girls over, then raping them. Now, as I was told, the CHP I pounds cars and motorcycles with blue lights or red front facing lights.

That is exactly why the police in Arkansas are hard on folks that illegally use emergency lights, and I support them for doing so.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had blue/red lights on the inside of the rotor cover of the front wheel on my Goldwing for years with no problems. In California you can have any color as long as it's not visible from the front or back and recessed within the body. (this means Glo Riders are a no-no unless white, amber(front) or red(rear).
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I'll keep my Green under body lights,they are OK everywhere!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by tobor9 View Post
    I'll keep my Green under body lights,they are OK everywhere!

I think green is for EMT's responding from thier personal vehicle (at least in NY).
    Last edited by arntufun; 04-08-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think, that you're correct...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: Is there a legal difference between, "Forward Facing", and, "Visible from the front"?
    After all; GloRyders face out to the sides...
    ...but you can see them from the front also!
    Yes. Forward facing means just that.

I got stopped back in 1985 in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I had a red light on the dash of my car. Note that it was not in use, just sitting there. I was a volunteer firefighter/emt and had a license plate on the front of the car stating so. I crossed the state line from Delaware in to said state on I95. About three miles in I saw a trooper sitting in the median. I saw him pull out when I passed. He followed behind me, I in the right lane, he in the left. After about 1.5 miles he pulled in behind me and lit me up. I pulled over. He walked up to the window and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said no, but I'm hoping you'll tell me why. He said I had an illegal light on the dash. I mentioned that I was a volunteer firefighter/emt in North Carolina and that the light was not plugged in or in use. He asked if I was being a smart ass, I said no sir, just an explanation. Oh, I had my Maryland DL because I was still active duty. When he saw that he told me my license was no good because I had NC plates and it didn't make any difference if I was active duty. He told me not to move, keep my daughter quiet, she was crying, and he would be back. After about twenty minutes, he came back and gave me a written warning for the light and made me take it off the dash. Then gave me another warning for the DL and said he didn't care if I was the state fire marshal, I wasn't going to show a red light in his state and I needed to get the correct DL. He also said he would put all this on record and I would be arrested the next time.

I gave the warnings to my cousin who was a county cop in Maryland. He told me the trooper was right about the light, even if it wasn't in use. But was dead wrong about the DL. He passed on that warning to his boss who in turn passed it on to the State Police. I received an apology from the 1Sgt of the state police about the DL warning. In 1990 I was back in the PRM with my pickup. It had a light bar on the roof. Was never bothered, even when I stopped at the scene of a bad accident to render aid and had the lights on.

As far as the GloRyders, I haven't been stopped. And I've had NC troopers, deputies, and city cops beside me at night and none have ever said anything.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Green is medical. There was a blue light bandit around here a few months ago. He was robbing people. As far as I know, he hasn't been caught but I haven't seen anything in the news about him lately. They did catch one about two years ago. He was a LEO reject. He made the mistake of pulling over an undercover deputy. He's still in jail.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Along those same lines...

For the ryders in Virginia, has anyone ever been told to remove the LEDs prior to a State Inspection? I had the Spyder inspected on one of our local bases, and was informed by a snot-nosed kid of an inspector that if I wanted to continue to have my "ride" inspected on base, I had to remove the LEDs prior. Perplexed, I asked if this was a local ordnance or just something for military installation. He responded "Well, I was told by....." I stopped him in mid-sentence and asked to see it in writing. Mind you, I was not trying to ruffle the feathers of this young man. It's just that, having spent 24 years in the military, I've come to totally resent the "someone told me" statement. Neither he nor the Lead Inspector could actually show me this violation in any of their publications or online searches. My "ride" was inspected and off I went. The next day, I returned driving my wife's Audi. If any of you have ever seen the headlight setup on the A7, you will know they are outlined in LEDs. Not wanting to cause a scene, I asked the Lead Inspector to take a look at my Audi. I apologized for any perceived hostilities from the day before and politely requested that if he should come across the instruction/ordnance/regulation addressing LEDs on motorcycles, to give me call. We swapped business cards, and off I went. My question is still the same...has anyone ever been told to remove the LEDs prior to a State Inspection?
    "Ride Safe, Ride Long, and Ride Often...Be Free on Three"
    ValCruzSpyder
    2012 RTS-SE5 Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

Default Illegal in Mass.

Having Blue or Red lights facing forward without a permit issued by the Chief of Police in your town is illegal in Mass. to prevent confusion with police and fire vehicle It is a statute punishable by $50 fine.
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by gorchris1 View Post
    I got pulled over last night for having blue lighting under my spyder. The police officer said he was only giving me a warning. When I asked him for the statute, he couldn't give me one. He only kept repeating that blue and red lights are for emergency vehicles. I looked before for a statute and couldn't find one. I looked again last night and still no luck. I called DMV first thing this morning along with the local police dept. No one can give me a straight answer only that it's not allowed. Has anyone run into this before? I want to abide by the law as long as it really is the law and not misinterpretation by the officer.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

I got stopped back in 1985 in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. I had a red light on the dash of my car. Note that it was not in use, just sitting there. I was a volunteer firefighter/emt and had a license plate on the front of the car stating so. I crossed the state line from Delaware in to said state on I95. About three miles in I saw a trooper sitting in the median. I saw him pull out when I passed. He followed behind me, I in the right lane, he in the left. After about 1.5 miles he pulled in behind me and lit me up. I pulled over. He walked up to the window and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said no, but I'm hoping you'll tell me why. He said I had an illegal light on the dash. I mentioned that I was a volunteer firefighter/emt in North Carolina and that the light was not plugged in or in use. He asked if I was being a smart ass, I said no sir, just an explanation. Oh, I had my Maryland DL because I was still active duty. When he saw that he told me my license was no good because I had NC plates and it didn't make any difference if I was active duty. He told me not to move, keep my daughter quiet, she was crying, and he would be back. After about twenty minutes, he came back and gave me a written warning for the light and made me take it off the dash. Then gave me another warning for the DL and said he didn't care if I was the state fire marshal, I wasn't going to show a red light in his state and I needed to get the correct DL. He also said he would put all this on record and I would be arrested the next time.

I gave the warnings to my cousin who was a county cop in Maryland. He told me the trooper was right about the light, even if it wasn't in use. But was dead wrong about the DL. He passed on that warning to his boss who in turn passed it on to the State Police. I received an apology from the 1Sgt of the state police about the DL warning. In 1990 I was back in the PRM with my pickup. It had a light bar on the roof. Was never bothered, even when I stopped at the scene of a bad accident to render aid and had the lights on.

As far as the GloRyders, I haven't been stopped. And I've had NC troopers, deputies, and city cops beside me at night and none have ever said anything.

1985 ???????? I was 12 years old I must be a young Pup........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes; you are!
    Look at it this way: you plan to live forever, is still working!

Spyder Garage

I know when I was in Daytona Beach for Bike week this year I saw a ton of motorcycles with blue and red lights as underglow which you could see from the side or back. I think it is great for making you more visible as long as it isn't flashing. I know this law varies state by state and was told by a Virginia police offer they are illegal here too.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

this light thing has been goin on for years. HALO (under vehicle) are oky in one town, but the next over, they will give you a ticket. Can not point to a law in eithe rcase.
    I have been told by many LEO, that in Ohio, any color is okay as long as they are used for Parades/light shows.
    As a aside, Ohio snow plows have green/white flashing lights. Mall Secuirty has green flashing lights.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

... I guess it is just a matter of time. But had these all last summer with no problems. Have been around many law enforcement vehicles....20130624_213735_LLS.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

that cop may have been technically right, but in all honesty, he needs to find a job he likes better.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe