Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heat issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball79ST2013 View Post
    Bob,

The issue is around the seat, under the seat and this weekend I notice the gas tank being extremely hot, is so hot that if I have my winter gloves on I can feel the heat, I have to ride with my legs away from the bike.

Thanks for the information, I feel than BRP needs to go out their way to fix the issue not me, all the home made remedies may work but what is the bike blows up while I'm riding with one of my kids or me, then what is going to be BRP's response to that, is great that some of the fixes are working a bit wait till is 90 and humit.
    Mine is in the exact same place. Under the seat and along the left side panel. I have to ride with my legs extended out or on the passenger floor boards. It's not even hot here yet. I am planning on riding to Gatlinburg in June.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Has anyone been to the BRP site? They have a part number under custom accessories for the 2014 panel upgrade for 499.99. Does anyone know if this is a complete kit to change out the 2013 panels? Or do you need more parts? Thanks
    That sounds useful!

Did you happen to grab the part number?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Body Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That sounds useful!

Did you happen to grab the part number?
    It looks like the part number is 219400472. I talked to a dealer, and it seems like this part number refers to only the black "trunk" cover. But, looking at the photo, it initially looked like there were new air intake scoops on the side panels behind the fog light ports.

Maybe not... maybe these are already there on a 2013. Gotta look at my bike when I get home. Check out the photo.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Questions; 04-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just got off the phone with my dealer, called to set up an appointment for the laser alignment. I also took this oppurtunity to tell him that I just experienced the boiling gas. He aknowledged that he has started recieving more & more complaints about it and the gas smell. I am now looking at going with JT's air filter as I think this will help more than the Cat bypass will. I do not want to void my warranty. He is going to check with BRP and find out if removing the factory air box will void the warranty. He said he will call back this week. I will post an update.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    Just got off the phone with my dealer, called to set up an appointment for the laser alignment. I also took this oppurtunity to tell him that I just experienced the boiling gas. He aknowledged that he has started recieving more & more complaints about it and the gas smell. I am now looking at going with JT's air filter as I think this will help more than the Cat bypass will. I do not want to void my warranty. He is going to check with BRP and find out if removing the factory air box will void the warranty. He said he will call back this week. I will post an update.
    I spoke to a dealer on the phone and they say cat removal fixes the heat problem. Does anyone have any real world experience to support or refute this claim?
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Removing the converter can't hurt the situation...
    But is it a cure???
    My gut tells me that it's only a part of the problem.
    You still have the pipes running real close to the fuel tank.
    I continue to say what I've been saying; wrap the pipes, tank, evap canister, and get more airflow under the bodywork...
    And removing the converter is also a good idea too!

Spyder Garage

What dealer are you using? I live in Morgantown I use Blackmans for service.

Spyder Garage

That is my dilema, cat bypass or airfilter? Which one will help the most? I will not do both as that will lead to other problems. I did not wrap pipes. I have read on here some heat issues much worse than mine and they had there pipes wrapped.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    If it was me (which it ain't!), I clear out the airbox.
    My reason; it'll help allow some more airflow down through and around all of those vital areas of the bike...
    The other heat attenuation procedures are much cheaper, (but more labor intensive!), and will work well with the airflow.
    The converter... is an important piece too; but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    What dealer are you using? I live in Morgantown I use Blackmans for service.

Me too! I am pleased with them so far.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Dave,
    If it was me (which it ain't!), I clear out the airbox.
    My reason; it'll help allow some more airflow down through and around all of those vital areas of the bike...
    The other heat attenuation procedures are much cheaper, (but more labor intensive!), and will work well with the airflow.
    The converter... is an important piece too; but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
    That was my thought also, but I am not familiar with everything under the tupperware. I do know exactly how much this air box is blocking. Air filter cost less than the cat bypass and with my bottom panels already removed it looks like I have good air flow around the cat.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

That is my dilema, cat bypass or airfilter? Which one will help the most? I will not do both as that will lead to other problems. I did not wrap pipes. I have read on here some heat issues much worse than mine and they had there pipes wrapped.
    I have a 2013 ST-L and have a paper trail of the work I and my service department has done. I wrapped, siliconed and tend shielded my pipes, as well as the panels, gas tank, oil reservoir and the tubing coming out of it. Cut the heat to my panels by 50%. Heat is still under the plastics and I'm just waiting for it to start affecting my engine components as I add more miles. Also, really hot under seat and hot air coming up around left leg above ankle. Good luck and keep a paper trail ... you never know when it might come in handy! If you have an 2013 ST you might think about those 2014 Air Flow Panels from Powersportswarehouse.com They really made a difference for a few 2013 ST owners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JacqueTanis; 04-15-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Response to BillyBovine and Baseball

Hello all, I am new to this group. Enjoy reading all the posts, very helpful. My wife had a 2011 RS-S, loved the bike. She wanted a different style of riding, so we purchased a 2013 Can Am RT Limited new. Had nothing but problems from the start. Stalling from at idle and starting in first gear ( Auto tranny ), heat issue that many talk about concerning the gas tank area and boiling fuel. We purchased the bike in Nov 2013 and temps here in Huntsville, TX were mild ( 75F to 80F ), it was not going to make it in TX summer heat! BRP's solution was to ride the bike for 1200mi to break it in, " because the rotax engine is tight "..........are you kidding me? I am going to put my wife on a bike that stalls without warning ( no roughness, just die's ), extreme heat and boiling gas. I have been flying aircraft for 40+ years, US Navy and 30+ years for a Large Commercial Airline. I am not a " test pilot " for BRP. If they want one...then pay me. My point, Billy.....I am glad you are having a wonderful experience with your machine, but MANY out here are having some serious problems that BRP needs to address. They ignored me. Finally after retaining an attorney and having a great dealer here in Houston, TX.........the GM of the dealership took it upon himself to replace the bike with a new 2014 like bike. And, the new bike has all the fixes to the old trouble maker, surprise! I have been around engines all my life, I can not explain why the same bikes act so differently........being the same design. I have to logically say it must be quality control? My point, some seem to like to ridicule those that bring these problems to light.........it is not whining, it is pure frustration. The frustration is due to lack of manufacturer support, at least in my case. I paid much $$ for a product that I expected, at least, a safe ride for my wife. Did not get that at all. So, we had a good product from BRP ( 2011 Can Am ), got a dud in 2013........these are " just the facts ". Good luck Baseball.......know how you feel. Sorry to intro myself this way. I have watched and learned much from you all...........look forward to posting again. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Red face The right to have a point of view - Opinion

begins once you have paid the price of admission.

Your dealer is to be commended.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Opinions.............

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    begins once you have paid the price of admission.

Greetings Jerbear.............is that a C-123 you are running away from? Thanks for your response..........and we all have opinions....LOL!

Spyder Garage

Red face Back at ya

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWire72 View Post
    Greetings Jerbear.............is that a C-123 you are running away from? Thanks for your response..........and we all have opinions....LOL!
    and welcome aboard.

123? No sir, she needs just a wee bit more runway. It's a Herky......C-130

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

and welcome aboard.

123? No sir, she needs just a wee bit more runway. It's a Herky......C-130
    Not much more dirt required! LOL! Great aircraft..........many of my AF friends have flown her. They loved the A/C. Had a few rides, years ago, in the back of the " Blue's " support A/C, what a blast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Has anybody thought of installing something like this:
    http://www.mtntkperformance.com/

Just actively thinking of ideas to help.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that Aerocharger has had a kit for the Spyders for about three years now...
    This looks like a new one!

Spyder Garage

just goes to show that some dealers are willing to step up to the plate while others aren't! glad your dealer was one with character!!

Spyder Garage

I know that Aerocharger has had a kit for the Spyders for about three years now...
    Aerocharger makes a fan to pull heat out of the engine compartment on a spyder?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh! My eyeballs fixated on their turbo kits!
    sorry...

Spyder Garage

I just noticed that the link goes to the main homepage instead of the "blowhole"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whoa!! THAT looks VERY useful!!
    Somebody's going to have to mount one up under the "skirts", and see how it helps!