Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Altercation at the Tag office

After battling neuropathy and pain problems stemming from an uneven match up between her GS 1000 Suzuki and a Ford three ton truck many year's ago, my wife finally had to admit that she had to have help. Figuring there will be a bit of walking involved at Spyderfest she added a four pronged cane and a folding seat walker to the items in her R622 trailer. She also bit the bullet and asked her doctor to fill out the forms for a handicapped tag.

I was in line getting the handicapped tags for her car and her Spyder last week. When my turn at the window came, I got the car tag with no problem but the local office had to special order the motorcycle handicapped tag. "What's the code for a handicapped tag on a motorcycle", the lady handling my stuff, shouted to a co-worker across the room.

To this, a lady waiting in line shouted out... " a handicapped tag for a motorcycle! Who ever heard of such a stupid thing?"

A man in line behind her replied..." What's stupid about that? I have a friend with only one leg who rides a cycle with a handicapped tag."

"If he has a handicap, he has no business riding a motorcycle", said the woman, getting in his face.

Each of the verbal combatants had their supporters and we soon had a debate going back and forth in the license bureau line. It started to get pretty loud and ugly until the supervisor told them all to be quiet and get back in line.

I was very surprised at the reactions on both sides. What is happening to our civil society?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Too bad people don't know how to do their jobs and handle a situation discretely..... You are right "What is happening to our civil society? ". I wonder myself...I was brought up with respect and don't see that happening much anymore. Best wishes for a successful Spyderfest...maybe next year for us!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Red face What happened

the 60's & 70's happened.....and it's been nothing but downhill ever since. imo

I too have friends with disabilities whom both ride and legally use handicap parking.

Simply put, they are disabled, not dead.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Just because a person has some mobility issues doesn't mean they can't still live life to the fullest!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

So that's where your name comes from.?? your going to fine folks like that everywhere. Shame they have to get fired up like that rather that applaud the fact the handicaps are out there trying to live a normal life. They should better ask how they got handicaped cause it could be saving their sorry. .!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default the problem is

the complete lack of professionalism in every aspect of modern life. the clerk should not be shouting anything accross the room. people don't seem to give a crap about about how they do things any more. all you have to do these days is show up for work, and you're a star.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I am so sorry that you had to be subjected to that kind of display of ignorance and rude manners. Sometimes you have to bite your tongue and take things into stride....when what you really would like to do is beat them silly with your cane. Nancy has had a handicapped plate for her Spyder from the first. When she started riding it she was still using a walker a lot, and had to carry a cane on her GS. She has heard a lot of the same comments, even when people could clearly see that she had both a disability and a stable vehicle. Until they outlaw ignorance and bad manners, it is something we will have to ignore.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default People

Einstein is alledged to have said only two things are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. He said he was only sure about the Universe. The other is possibly beyond infinite.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Morons are everywhere...
    And they're obviously out-breeding the rest of us!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default its sad

this is the society we live in today.
    * No respect
    *No moral standards
    * the majority doesn't apply any more
    no values to stand by ! its sad ....just too much diversity now days.
    I applaud people with disabilities and trying to live a life to its fullest!
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

Here here!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

A friend of mine parked his Guzzi in a Handicapped zone, and a woman started screaming at him about taking up the space. He listened for a while, then sat down on the bike and handed her his wooden leg.

john

Spyder Garage

Red face Wooden leg....a memory

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    A friend of mine parked his Guzzi in a Handicapped zone, and a woman started screaming at him about taking up the space. He listened for a while, then sat down on the bike and handed her his wooden leg.

john
    Back in the late 60's early 70's a fellow by the name of Dave Templeton raced flat track with a wooden leg.
    He lost it in a pile up one night and the unknowing spectators came close to cardiac arest.

Gary Flanders, the event announcer, and, Ol wooden leg (as those of us who knew him called him) had a lot of fun with the crowd that night.

Moral to the story.

People who set limits will never understand what it is to live.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

john
    That ; HAD to shut her up!

Spyder Garage

The way the incident was handled by the DMV people was surely atrocious. Transactions should be between the parties involved and not broadcast to everyone in the place.

Happy to say that Alaska does not differentiate between hang tags for vehicles. They used to have HC license plate stickers for motorcycles, but no longer do it that way. I can get plates for my car, but just use the hang tag instead for both the car and the

I have also been "harassed" a bit. Always for parking the in the HC zone. I have the hang tag clipped to my windshield in plain view. I once came out of the grocery store and witnessed an elderly gentleman in a pickup writing me a note and then sticking it under the hang tag. When he say me limping up to the MC with my cane, the demeanor on his face changed.

One earlier time, I parked in front of two restaurants. (this time I had the special HC motorcycle license tag affixed to the . The people from the restaurant that I did not go into, actually called the police on me. The people in the restaurant I was in came up to me and said there was a policeman looking at the . I went out and talked to the man. He was in the process of writing me an expensive ticket for parking in a HC zone. I pointed out the license plate, and that took care of the problem. I knocked on the window of the other restaurant and waved hello to them, went back and finished my interrupted meal.

Just be prepared for the same kind of incidents with the I also run into dirty looks when I use a mobility cart in stores. It's just the way it is sometimes.

I would be very happy not to have a HC sticker and be able to get around like most people. Currently, I can walk about 50 ft. before the pain kicks in and I have to sit down or walk with assistance.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some folks just aren't happy unless:
    They've interfered...
    They've started a fight...
    They've accused somebody of wrongdoing; while having no supporting facts...
    The've told somebody off...
    or they've raised somebody else's blood pressure.

em!

Spyder Garage

I had to order mine too. Seems that Cobb County doesn't 'stock' them like they do for HC car tags.

Now if you ever travel up and down I-85 in GA, you can get a Peach Pass for your bike FREE. You have to call and give them your information. You can't get it free on the Internet.

Spyder Garage

Default permit

i have one for my car, and i only use it if i can't find a space close enough to where i am going. but i have had a few people say something to me about looking healthy and i tell them if you want to compare problems i would be more than happy to tell you mine, but for some reason i don't want to get one for the bike.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got one... I don't use it much only because I'm thankful to still be as mobile as I am!
    There's folks out there, who need the spot a lot worse than I do!

Spyder Garage

My doc offered me one when I broke my leg, he said I would be in a cast at least 4 months. I refused. I guess what ticks me off is the "family" members that use the tag.

People today are more worried that they won't get what they're "due".

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot of folks out there, who always seem to have their hands out...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    My doc offered me one when I broke my leg, he said I would be in a cast at least 4 months. I refused. I guess what ticks me off is the "family" members that use the tag.

People today are more worried that they won't get what they're "due".
    My doc tried to talk me into one, too...a permanent one. I refused, he said he knew I would. I never question the people who use the tag, you can't tell about disabilities. When you see a lone teen in the spot in a Buick with a tag, though, you have to think something isn't right.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I have a disabled tag on both my car and my Spyder. Before the Spyder I had one on my V-Star 1300T. I've had disabled tags since 1980. I've only had people say anything about my parking a motorcycle in a disabled parking place twice...once in Missouri and once here in Florida. Both times I simply told them to "look at the plate." The first said, "I've never heard of such a thing." I simply shrugged and limped on my way. The second demanded to know what was wrong with me. I asked him if he was born rude or had to work at it. Then I limped away from him, too.

Some people are just idiots.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

We also use a hang tag clipped to the windshield. My wife has MS and people don't say much when we take her mobility scooter and crutches out of the trailer.

2014 White RTS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Illinois Patriot Guard

Founding member of Woodstock Spyder Ryders

2014 RTS SE6 - White
    2010 RT/AC SE5 retired with 26,536 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i never use the "hang tag" on the bike...
    Around here; that's just like an invitation, for some to walk off with it.