Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I had CHAD and it was very good for me - however the Madstad system I now have performers better, looks better (IMHO) and was way cheaper.
    CHAD had some adjustment but the Madstsd is infinately adjustable.

Looking good !

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I recently switched the Madstad w/ 22" shield and love it. Much better than the Ultra Touring 25" shield I had before. I am 6'0, stock bars / seat.
    08 Spyder SM5, Phantom kit, Hindle exhaust, otherwise stock

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hello beerman

Good luck on the purchase so far I have not had much luck with windshields. I have post a review of two in the mods section. Went with the fitment guides and both were undersized. Now looking at c.h.a.d or f1 systems.
    Based on my experiences the c.h.a.d or Madstad would be to short given that I'm only 5ft 9 all the 23 and 23.5 only increase the wind noise for me.

Spyder Garage

That's what I thought until I took the chance & tried the Madstad 22"... I'm 6'4" and couldn't be happier...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kromc5 View Post
    Good luck on the purchase so far I have not had much luck with windshields. I have post a review of two in the mods section. Went with the fitment guides and both were undersized. Now looking at c.h.a.d or f1 systems.
    Based on my experiences the c.h.a.d or Madstad would be to short given that I'm only 5ft 9 all the 23 and 23.5 only increase the wind noise for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    That's what I thought until I took the chance & tried the Madstad 22"... I'm 6'4" and couldn't be happier...
    kromc5, I am 5'7" and have the Madstad and like you I had a real hard time with windshields, mainly because my helmet is soooooo bad, noise-wise among other things.
    But like the others have said, the MadStad works. It must be magic or something. I have tried a bunch of settings on it and have found 5 that work very well for me. Today, since it is cooling off, I went to full up and put the top forward about 2" - there is no turbulence on my helmet and I have at more than a hand length (7") before I feel any at 50 mph. I get air flow, but no blasts and no pushes from behind.

If you can, try out some of the adjustable shields. You can buy just the RoboBrackets and mount other shields on it - and I know that Rlathen was able to just buy the CHAD brackets and used another shield. I really think you should be able to test a windshield out. CalSci seems to have a good return policy. The MadStad RoboBracket is also satisfaction guaranteed.

I liked the CalSci, but this performs so much better for me - especially with my helmet.

I put some pictures of the shield and hardware in my Albums, take a look. I hope you find what you are looking for - to me, the windshield, seat and handlebars are the most important mods you can do for comfort and safety.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    kromc5, I am 5'7" and have the Madstad and like you I had a real hard time with windshields, mainly because my helmet is soooooo bad, noise-wise among other things.
    But like the others have said, the MadStad works. It must be magic or something. I have tried a bunch of settings on it and have found 5 that work very well for me. Today, since it is cooling off, I went to full up and put the top forward about 2" - there is no turbulence on my helmet and I have at more than a hand length (7") before I feel any at 50 mph. I get air flow, but no blasts and no pushes from behind.

If you can, try out some of the adjustable shields. You can buy just the RoboBrackets and mount other shields on it - and I know that Rlathen was able to just buy the CHAD brackets and used another shield. I really think you should be able to test a windshield out. CalSci seems to have a good return policy. The MadStad RoboBracket is also satisfaction guaranteed.

I liked the CalSci, but this performs so much better for me - especially with my helmet.

I put some pictures of the shield and hardware in my Albums, take a look. I hope you find what you are looking for - to me, the windshield, seat and handlebars are the most important mods you can do for comfort and safety.

Tom

Thank you very the excellent feedback on the windshields. So I can keep the Calcsi and add the robo brackets to increase the height? I just found the robo brackets site but did not see the listing for the spyder and how much I can increase the height of them.
    Thank you

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you very the excellent feedback on the windshields. So I can keep the Calcsi and add the robo brackets to increase the height? I just found the robo brackets site but did not see the listing for the spyder and how much I can increase the height of them.
    Thank you
    About 6" or more if you wanted - at a guess.
    http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.493/.f

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

About 6" or more if you wanted - at a guess.
    http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.493/.f
    Thank you for the feedback and the link, the manaul refers to cutting the windshield which is little unnerving. I would hate to have to cut the Calcsi to install this. Though it does appear that this would not be needed. Just finished speaking with a customer in Brisbane from Suncorp.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the feedback and the link, the manaul refers to cutting the windshield which is little unnerving. I would hate to have to cut the Calcsi to install this. Though it does appear that this would not be needed. Just finished speaking with a customer in Brisbane from Suncorp.
    No need to cut the windscreen - that is for other motorcycles. Mark makes a plate to fit where the Spyder screen mounts and the brackets fit to that.

"This DIY (Do-It-Yourself) kit is for those that want to convert their current fixed Spyder windshield into an adjustable one. It includes an adapter plate that replaces your stock shield, adjustable RoboBrackets and all the hardware you'll need for attaching your windshield."

Mark now includes a template so you can drill holes in the Calsci - after that it is a 10 minute job to fit.
    Last edited by mrb; 11-04-2009 at 02:55 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No need to cut the windscreen - that is for other motorcycles. Mark makes a plate to fit where the Spyder screen mounts and the brackets fit to that.

"This DIY (Do-It-Yourself) kit is for those that want to convert their current fixed Spyder windshield into an adjustable one. It includes an adapter plate that replaces your stock shield, adjustable RoboBrackets and all the hardware you'll need for attaching your windshield."

Mark now includes a template so you can drill holes in the Calsci - after that it is a 10 minute job to fit.

Thank you for the continued help, I will give this a try before sending back the Calcsi.

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

Basically same results for me. I'm also 6'4".

Thank you for the continued help, I will give this a try before sending back the Calcsi.

Thank you
    FYI, what you will have to do is drill new mounting holes in the CalSci windshield to use it with the Madstad bracket. I'm sure that will void returning the CalSci windshield.

I've tried 7 different windshields and made another 5 or 6 modifications (cutting down a very tall F1 Evo II and trimming an Evo III for a desired airflow) to two of the windshields I've had and the Madstad bracket and windshield has been the best overall combination so far.
    Last edited by bjt; 11-04-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know if the louvered vent made for GoldWing windshields will fit the curvature of the RT windshield? It sure would be nice to allow air through on a hot day (most days in SC). Or do they really make that much difference? Perhaps I should ask a GoldWing rider.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SC_DOC View Post
    Does anyone know if the louvered vent made for GoldWing windshields will fit the curvature of the RT windshield? It sure would be nice to allow air through on a hot day (most days in SC). Or do they really make that much difference? Perhaps I should ask a GoldWing rider.

I don't know about the Goldwing vent but I had a F1 windshield with two circular vents in it and there was no appreciable airflow coming through the vents. I also had a CalSci which has a very large hole in the center of it and there wasn't that much air flowing through that. I expected a lot more air to be flowing through the openings in both those windshields than what I actually got.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwfranklin View Post
    After reading all the posts and ads and websites. I decided to go with the Calsci windshield. Ordered last Thursday, DHL has it now due here this Thursday. Thats pretty good service, coast to coast. My Spyder is not even due for over 2 weeks, I hopeit gets here. Had orginally thought I would get a Cee Bailey, I have one of their W/S on my Rune. Still beleive it would give better coverage. But liked the looks and the vent on the Calsci.

Wayne
    Be glad you didn't get the Cee Bailey. I have one and the wind buffeting isd merciless. I ride my Road King anytime I have more than ten miles to ride because of the Cee Bailey...
    3:16