Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help picking windshield

Looking for a windshield that will block the majority of the wind. I am 6 foot and have the 4inch NMN riser. I would like to have a vent in it and clear in color. Any sugestions? Thanks! Beerman

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield

I ordered one of the extra tall ones off of eBay. i think that it was 3" taller than the BRP touring models. It fit well and was suprisingly sturdy. It worked OK for my height ( 6'3" ) but since it's not extra wide I still got blasted from the sides - especially if it's raining. But overall pretty decent and fairly priced - 149.00 I think- no vents though

Spyder Garage

Default Help with a windshield

There are several manufacturers for Spyder wndshields now. Check out the following:

www.calsci.com/motorcyclesinfo/Spyderprod.html
    The above is clear comes in several heights and does have a vent. It is also wider that the OEM windshield.

www.f1windshields.com

www.industries7.com/pages/nproduct.jsp
    The above is adjustible up and down and also tilts.

www.ceebaileys.com/can_am/index.html

These are the only four I know of at the moment. Hope you find one you like that works for you.

Spyder Juice

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield help

Sorry, in the address I gave you the link for the adjustible shield (third one down-I think) should have a capitol NP in the address and not the lower case letters to work. www.industries7.com/pages/NProduct.jsp

Spyder Juice

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default windshield option

check out the Corbin windshield www.corbin.com pricey but my worth it.
    look for the bigger wind protection option. works great.

Spyder Garage

just dont get one that looks like an uncut toenail
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default F1 Evo 3 Windshield

I got my new windshield (F1 - Evo 3) and what a difference going thru the mist. Dry face shield and almost no bugs! I don't have the turbulence in my face any more or feel like i'm being pushed off the bike at higher speeds. I have noticed that I get a lot of wind push from the back now that I did not have before. Has anyone else noticed it. It really gives a pretty good push. I have a long braid and it keeps it pushed over to the front of my shoulder. Just thought I would ask to see if this is normal.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Windscreens seem a VERY personal choice thing. You only have to read the forums to see what one Spyder owner loves another hates (sometimes with a passion).
    We all have different heights, riding positions and expectations. To me an adjustable form like http://www.industries7.com/stuff/I7_...Shield_Pub.pdf (expected to be shipping end of the month) may be the best bet as it can be adjusted easily in angle and height.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also ordered an Evo III windshield. After test riding it I noticed a lot of wind force on my back. After talking with Marcel about it, I found out that I had measured incorrectly and thus my windshield was too short. I expect to receive my new Evo III later this week and will let you know if the wind force on the back is gone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Looking for a windshield that will block the majority of the wind. I am 6 foot and have the 4inch NMN riser. I would like to have a vent in it and clear in color. Any sugestions? Thanks! Beerman

When you find the right one, let me know. I am leaning towards the Industries7 windshield now but I still question it a bit. I have tried out my wife's F1 shields and her Evo III and they are OK but, as they were not designed for my height, they didn't work very well. They put all of the wind that was hitting me in the chest up at shoulder level for me. She liked the F1 and really loves the Evo III.

I have an Evo II that keeps the wind off me really well but I don't care for the looks of it. Its too tall. I only put it on the Spyder when I'm going on long trips and I take my stock windshield with me so I can pull it off if I'm going on pleasure rides once I get to my destination. Plus, I don't think any windshields are made with the thoughts of a person putting them on and off very often. The plastic around two of the screw holes on my Evo II has cracked and I don't think it will last much longer. I hope it holds out through the Galinburg trip or until I find and can afford something else.

Spyder Garage

You really need to see BJT to understand his dilemma. Poor fella. I took this shot of him at a recent Spyder owners event...

Last edited by daddydarko; 08-26-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Speling
    "I <3 attention!"
    -DD

Spyder Garage

Before I even got my SE5, I had ordered the Cal-Sci windshield. There website had good info on which height to order, (they have 3 heights). They have a vent slot, (a plus or minus), that does not noticeably reduce effectiveness. Are you using a full or 3/4 helmet? I use a 3/4 HJC carbon fiber with visor. For me this windshield is probably a little lower than you would need to really allow air to blow over top, but I don't have that chest compression and my tinted visor moves the air out of the way. The Cal-Sci also does a great job protecting the hands and arms. On a nice day, sun shining, even if it is cool, the stillness of the air between my chest and the winshield allows the sun to heat me and long-sleeve tee-shirt is just fine!
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

Default CalSci is the way to go...

I did a lot of looking around and asking more experienced riders for input and I went with the CalSci and LOVE IT! I am 5'10" and got the Large and it does a great job keeping the bugs off while giving me a little breeze through the vent. The vent also means that you get almost no buffeting...the windshield doesn't look like it is trying to vibrate right off the bike. They package it very well, send a cleaing kit and give instructions on how to install...took me 5 minutes! Best mod so far!
    GO2LKG
    GO2LKG in Richmond, VA

• 2014 RT Limited Cognac SE6 Mods: BRP backrest, WrapMySpyder graphics, saddle bag cargo nets
    • TRADED 2011 RT-S Graphite Gray SM5 Mods: Personalized graphics, Zumo 550, ISIC foot boards, Spyder Pop heat mods, Utopia backrest, saddle bag cargo nets
    • TRADED 2008 RS Silver SM5 Mods: Personalized graphics, BRP back rest w/sport luggage rack, Zumo 550, Highway pegs, CalSci windshield, BRP saddle bags, Corbin saddle seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by go2lkg View Post
    I did a lot of looking around and asking more experienced riders for input and I went with the CalSci and LOVE IT! I am 5'10" and got the Large and it does a great job keeping the bugs off while giving me a little breeze through the vent. The vent also means that you get almost no buffeting...the windshield doesn't look like it is trying to vibrate right off the bike. They package it very well, send a cleaing kit and give instructions on how to install...took me 5 minutes! Best mod so far!
    GO2LKG
    You forgot it has it's own armless "t-shirt". Purple.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After reading all the posts and ads and websites. I decided to go with the Calsci windshield. Ordered last Thursday, DHL has it now due here this Thursday. Thats pretty good service, coast to coast. My Spyder is not even due for over 2 weeks, I hopeit gets here. Had orginally thought I would get a Cee Bailey, I have one of their W/S on my Rune. Still beleive it would give better coverage. But liked the looks and the vent on the Calsci.

Wayne

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hey this is beerman, I started this thread and want to thank everyone for their input. This is a great site. Where else can you get such great information so fast and from those that actually use the products. Thanks again. As for the bad review on some of the products, that is all part of doing business. I have been part of family run companies for the last 25years and you must take the good with the bad. It is how you handle the bad that will decide if your company will grow. If there is a problem you must fix it, especially with customer service. If not the customers will eventually take care of the problem for you and bye bye business!!
    Thanks all and be safe.

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Default F1

I HAVE THE F1 EVOII. THE WINDSHIELD IS GREAT. MARCEL IS WILLING TO LET YOU TRY ONE. YOU SHOULD TRY THEM BOTH. I ALSO WANT TO RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE, 95% OF ALL THE POSTS ON THE DIFFERENT WEBSITES I HAVE READ GIVE THE F1 A THUMBS UP!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I went with the tinted Mels Monster Garage and got a chance to try it in our monsoon today...at 5-9' it works great. I like this windshield for the price, it fit perfect and doesn't overwhelm the look of the machine. For my height there is no upper body turbulence, some does remain on the arms This has made cornering easier since the buffeting of the stock shield is gone. I may fab some horizontal sliding deflectors for extreme rain or cold, but in the desert I definitely prefer some breeze and not total deflection. Going on a trip which would be our "dragon tail" of arizona on the 6&7 of Sep...also looking forward to the Golden Aspen Rally in Ruidoso!
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 08-27-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My CalSci came with rough edges (trying to work it out) and could not eliminate my hand hitting on the clutch. Vent works well and holes did line up. Happy with sizing. Issue resolved.
    Last edited by Saluda; 09-11-2008 at 05:53 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko View Post
    You really need to see BJT to understand his dilemma. Poor fella. I took this shot of him at a recent Spyder owners event...

now THATS funny

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko View Post

Quote Originally Posted by aubierules View Post
    now THATS funny
    I forgot about this. Thanks James (aka daddydarko). This is proof that what gets out there on the internet can last forever and crop up and bite you when you aren't expecting it. In my defense, my beard isn't nearly that white. Plus, anyone who's seen me knows my hair problem is the opposite of the picture (onset of "chrome dome" syndrome ).

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Defective windshield

I purchased an adjustable windshield whose upper transparant part is defective in that there is so much optical distortion that I can't use the windshield during the dark. I have send Marcel July various emails and have tried calling him now 6 times to request a replacement of the defective upper part of the windshjield and it is possibel to complete a call. What am I suppose to do to get a replacement upper windshield?

Arthur Cohen, Mexico City

Spyder Garage

I had an F1 & did not like it. The angle was way too much for me - 6'4" and 4" risers. I've opted for the 22" Madstad, which works surprisingly well - no hand protection, but no helmet turbulence either.

You could use another windshield with Mark's brackets, but the physics of the torque pressure on the retaining screws needs to be considered...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur---Mexico City View Post
    I purchased an adjustable windshield whose upper transparant part is defective in that there is so much optical distortion that I can't use the windshield during the dark. I have send Marcel July various emails and have tried calling him now 6 times to request a replacement of the defective upper part of the windshjield and it is possibel to complete a call. What am I suppose to do to get a replacement upper windshield?

Arthur Cohen, Mexico City
    Been down that path with Marcel before---- some people love him --- others hate him. Good luck getting any response or a replacement shipped.

I would be scared to use his adjustable shield system for various reasons:

1. Material is NOT DOT approved - it will shatter.
    2. The adjustment rails point right at the rider - could be fatal in an accident.
    3. Quality problems
    4. Poor customer service.

I would check out the CHAD setup (I have this and love it), or the MadStad that many are now getting.

Don't feel bad--- I went through a number of shields before getting the CHAD. Would have been better served going with the CHAD from day one.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had CHAD and it was very good for me - however the Madstad system I now have performers better, looks better (IMHO) and was way cheaper.
    CHAD had some adjustment but the Madstsd is infinately adjustable.