Thread: Squeal

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Squeal

2012 RT/ new last summer. After the 700 mi check, there was a squeal that sounded like a belt slipping. Squeal happened on acceleration and quieted somewhat after the machine warmed up. Dealer took it back in and tightened the belts, but the squeal is still there, just not as marked. Cause for worry?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dekky View Post
    2012 RT/ new last summer. After the 700 mi check, there was a squeal that sounded like a belt slipping. Squeal happened on acceleration and quieted somewhat after the machine warmed up. Dealer took it back in and tightened the belts, but the squeal is still there, just not as marked. Cause for worry?
    I have that same thing. There is a bulletin for the dealer to grease the belt, which I've had done, but it only help for a bit. I only notice it when going from a dead stop to about 20 mph. I've been told it's nothing to worry about and all is well by the dealer.

Spyder Garage

I have the same phenomena. It exhbits itself when I have initially engaged my bike in first gear and everything is cold. I usually experience this when pulling my spyder out of the garage to warm up. After it has warmed up, I do not experience the squeal.

I've had the grease put on the belt as was mentioned earlier. There was a thread sometime ago where one of our members discovered a washer (or something like that) which was causing this sound on his spyder. I haven't been able to find that thread.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Alignment

It might be your belt alignment. My belt was too close to the flange on the rear sprocket and when I accelerated hard it touched against the flange making a squealing sound. After I adjusted the belt to spec the squeal disappeared.

Note: When you reverse your bike the belt tends to travel outwards on the sprocket, so make sure you run your bike forward a bit to have the belt settle back to its normal position before checking the gap.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes there was a thread on a thrust washer on the back side of the shift housing that was causing that squealing noise. I searched and can't locate it either but it seems that it was added info on somebody else's thread?
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Squeal Thread......Good discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dekky View Post

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=squeal

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt Squeal

My dealer has tried the grease on the belt for my 2012 RT. Worked for about a day, then the squeal came back. Did a 200+mile ride with my significant other, and it was so loud it gave us headaches, and other Spyders on the ride, even 5 bikes behind said something is definitely wrong. The dealer says they have no ideas and will have to contact BRP. Any suggestions I can point them to? I don't want the Spyder to be sitting in limbo at the dealer for weeks!

Thanks for any help!

Ed