Spyder Garage

Default New guy with question regarding preferred yrs

Hello all! New guy that is currently without a Spyder. Not unfamiliar with 2 wheels and snowmobiles but seriously thinking one of these 3 wheel machines would be a nice addition. I see them as something different (which I like) and as something that the boy or even the wife could be on back of for a ride. I'd thought of one a yr or 2 ago but am at the point now where my main interest is getting less interesting and many of those items will be sold which will an able me to buy a Spyder, possibly new.
    I do know I want the semiautomatic transmission and likely the standard RS or RS-S model. Partially due to cost, partially do to honest use needs. Have a few dealers within a reasonable drive so once the funds start coming in, I'll take a drive to go look closer.
    What I'm wondering most is this... If going used, are there any years that one should perhaps pay more or less attention to than another? One yr with more issues? One with less?

Gotta go do some reading around the forum now but want to thank any and all that can answer these amateur questions.

Spyder Garage

I think you will find the performance and reliability similar throughout the simpler GS/RS/RSS line. The battery was moved forward in 2013 and the brakes were changed to Brembos with larger diameter front wheels. I believe these changes also affected the sport Spyder models. You might want to be sure that a used Spyder has a remaining BEST extended warranty in effect, or if the original factory warranty remains in effect, have the BEST thrown in on the deal or buy one yourself for your peace of mind.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just traded 2008 GS sm5 for a RT s se5 I put about 7000 miles on the 08 with not problem
    If on a budget you start small and add to it as funds become available

Spyder Garage

I'm sorta new to all of this too, but

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The biggest change in the GS/RS line-up happened last year.
    The bikes got a new frame, bigger front wheels and brakes, and the drive by wire system engine that had previously been used only in the RTs.
    ...But they're ALL pretty darn good!
    So; Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

RS and RSS models seem to have the least problems as compared to the RT. You asked about years to avoid. Pretty much every year is good--but I would avoid 2013. They had lots of growing pains and problems with that year.

There are many threads on the subject. Recommend you use the search function and then you can make a better decision.

If buying used, a vehicle with lots of warranty left is also a good idea. Have any BRP dealer check the VIN and run the service record on any used machine. That information will help you to make the right decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default USED SPYDER

You mentioned SE model, I agree with Scotty in trying to get one that still is under warranty so you can still get the extended B.E.S.T. warranty......Because it's hard to tell if the SE you are looking at has not been ridden properly.....SE models need to driven at and above 3500 RPM's or the clutch plates suffer excessive slippage which in simple terms means they wear out quicker......The BEST warranty will come in handy if the tranny has problems.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-13-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

2012 rss here and trouble free. from what I've experienced and seen on SL, 2012 seems to be one of the most trouble free years if you're looking at an rs or rss! good luck on your purchase, and welcome to spyderlovers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know some people say to avoid the '13 but we're a '13 (ST) owner with 0 problems. Feel it's a great machine.
    Last edited by Saluda; 03-31-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nobody mentioned any trouble with the 2013 RS bikes...
    In fact; they have been pretty darn trouble-free over the past several years...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep reading the post and you'll learn more what you need.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Thank you! Been doing more reading in the forum in diff areas and getting a better feel for things. I'm wanting to be realistic so giving myself a 12 month plan of action. Will allow me to stop procrastinating in selling what I'm no longer needing/wanting which will in turn pay for the new Spyder. If I stay on schedule, that'll allow me a 2015 or the possibility of a really good closeout/left over deal on a 2014 should what I want be available in a left over. Certainly do not see a loss of interest during this time as this has been a long time coming. Just need that final straw on the camel's back to get me to break.

Until then, I hope to learn more and more from the forum, the existing threads (I'm one that always suggests to use the search feature in forums) and if need be, ask.
    Thanks again all!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the meantime; ask us anything and everything, that comes to mind...
    We're here to help!

Spyder Garage

Default Dont do Demo ride!

Unless you want to buy now! I was not going to buy my first Spyder until spring of 2014. I did a demo ride late last year and then another 3 weeks later and then it was in my garage! I do love my but if I could have waited I would have bought a different color. I did save a lot of $$ by purchasing a left over.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I'm pretty good when I decide it's a certain time span and sticking with it so even a demo ride now wouldn't make it happen now. (gotta sell the stuff first anyways)
    on the plus side... I mentioned to the wife tonight my plan (selling stuff) and the end result. She actually seemed a bit excited. She did ask if I was keeping my current bike (Triumph Bonneville) and the "Yes" response didn't get the same excitement. Also told, after this, no more toys without getting rid of one. Two wheels motorized, two wheels pedal power, snowmobile and a Spyder I guess would cover it all anyways.
    Finding out some good info here already in looking around.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome!

You have arrived at a good place to start checking the S out. Find some other riders in your area and see what they have to say also! A test ride was all it took for us. We have had our RT for 8 months and have over 8000 miles on it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Nobody mentioned any trouble with the 2013 RS bikes...
    In fact; they have been pretty darn trouble-free over the past several years...

WELCOME and good luck with your choice, they really are a great bike.

13 RSS SM5 here

Runs perfect and not any problems at all. Not many miles on it right now but would not of picked anything other then a RS or a RSS.

Spyder Garage

Continuing to read and learn from the threads and posts here. Lots of little things I try and take note of mentally. Have begun selling so the $ is starting to trickle in. Keep a pic on my phone to keep me motivated. The Triumph came out of hibernation yesterday and started right up which got the desire up a bit more too.

Spyder Garage

Good strategy... You will love the Spyder once you pull the trigger. I sold my highly modified Bugeye Sprite and a TR-7. This enabled my purchase of the 2012 RTL.
    I've got a Triumph Bonneville also and there is no foreseeable reason to part with it.
    2012 RT LTD Lava Bronze, Ultimate seat, backrests and fuel door. Two Brothers Titanamium. Laser Alignment, Seals Floorboards. BajaRon Sway Bar and links, Spyderpops blockoff, Grilles, Missing Belt Guard, Bumpskid, Gold Wing Windshield Vent, Kewlmetal Helmet Locks, Rumbling Pride Flag Holders, Cup holders, Signal LED's on mirrors, Baker Built belt stabilizer, gremlin bell, Bad Boy air horn, TricLed 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th taillights and fender LED strips. RT-622 trailer, ........More to come.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post

WELCOME and good luck with your choice, they really are a great bike.
    13 RSS SM5 here
    Runs perfect and not any problems at all. Not many miles on it right now but would not of picked anything other then a RS or a RSS.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

In the meantime; ask us anything and everything, that comes to mind...
    We're here to help!
    Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

to this EXCELLENT Site.

If you know of someone that has a spyder I would take a test drive. Sent pm Deanna777
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

One of the biggest things I have learned here is that the Dealer you choose for service makes a HUGE difference. There is a lot of variation in dealers, and some down right horror stories. Ask around for dealer references.