Spyder Garage

Default Want To Eliminate Oil In My Air Filter Box

I need a repost of how to eliminate that oil, remember seeing it here a long time ago. I think Lamont used a catch can, and any input would greatly appreciated. Thank You Tom Staten Island, N.Y.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MISTERZ06 View Post
    I need a repost of how to eliminate that oil, remember seeing it here a long time ago. I think Lamont used a catch can, and any input would greatly appreciated. Thank You Tom Staten Island, N.Y.
    I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a really good way to solve the issue. They ran a vent w/ filter up by the handlebar. I think that is what I'm going to do. You can do a search to find it.

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

Buells have a similar problem. Someone thought that running the breathers together and feeding the gunk in to the air filter to be incinerated in the engine was a good idea. Some of us disagree!

The first time I tried to resolve it, I had a catch can fitted and the breather fed to it. But, this left a hole in the air filter, so the mechanic showed me his 'old trick' of super gluing a penny over the hole. Unfortunately, on the way home, the penny detached itself and the front pot breathed it in... afterwards there was no trace of the penny, but a trail of damage that resulted in a new front cylinder, piston, head and valves! The mechanic paid in full!

The real downsides to the catch can were, one that you had to remember to empty it, two it looked crap, and three it shook itself to bits!

In the end, the best solution was to run the breather in to a small dry, un-oiled K&N type filter clamped between the cylinders. This works as most of the gloop in the breathers is condensed water which just evaporates. The remaining black oil can be cleaned out every six to twelve months, if necessary, but it was never a big issue for me as there really wasn't much of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I have tried all the obvious methods and the one I have the most success with is to run the oil a half quart low.

That and a small piece of lawnmower air filter material in the tube that runs from the crankcase to the air box.

Doing these two things seem to solve it for me.

Spyder Garage

I used the universal fuel filter with the pre-filter material in it and have not had any issues with it. No oil loss and it drains it self back in to the sump. I think it was of BajaRon's posts.
    Rick
    New Braunfels, TX
    2009 GS Silver and Black
    Kuryakyn Grips and Risers
    Spyderpops missing air dam
    Spyderpops Air Management system
    Madstad Windshield
    Rivco Floor board and Highway pegs

Spyder Garage

Keep you oil level correct and Do Not overfill.
    I have a 09GS (30,000 miles) and when I check the air box every couple months there is a little wetness, film on the plastic in the bottom of the air box BUT I have never seen any evidence it got on the air filter!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have a 09GS (30,000 miles) and when I check the air box every couple months there is a little wetness, film on the plastic in the bottom of the air box BUT I have never seen any evidence it got on the air filter!
    Hey Sarge, when changing the oil Friday, I noticed a film of dirty oil all over the rear shock, frame area, etc.. When I got the bike a couple of weeks ago, it had dirty oil that was at least 1/2 quart over full. I was reading the thread above, could I have a similar situation? The level now is right on full, warm engine..........Art

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    Hey Sarge, when changing the oil Friday, I noticed a film of dirty oil all over the rear shock, frame area, etc.. When I got the bike a couple of weeks ago, it had dirty oil that was at least 1/2 quart over full. I was reading the thread above, could I have a similar situation? The level now is right on full, warm engine..........Art
    Over filled oil generally ends up in the air box? Not sure about rear shock frame area- But someone probably will help more!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Unless the crankcase vent was rerouted to exit near the rear tire, oil on the rear shock is usually a result of being thrown there while riding, or a failed rear shock. Clean it off thoroughly, and try to determine the origin.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MISTERZ06 View Post
    To sum it up, it is a very cheap & easy mod to keep the oil out of the air box.
    My only consideration in the process that I didn't do was to take the nut ends of the filter to the grinder & make them round,
    so the trip into the hose would be smoother, but I didn't & all went well. The below are how to pics.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...1&d=1311883552

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I noticed the same thing on my RS-S, not long after I purchased it. Found out the oil came from the brake master cylinder fill cover, the cover was tight, so I assumed the factory or dealership over filled it. I cleaned it off, no problems since.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    So when you say dont overfill, about where on the dipstick is your oil level at?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Unless the crankcase vent was rerouted to exit near the rear tire, oil on the rear shock is usually a result of being thrown there while riding, or a failed rear shock. Clean it off thoroughly, and try to determine the origin.
    Thanks, Scotty. I gave it a thorough cleaning while I had it apart to add a passenger backrest. It's been a week, nothing yet.........Art

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To keep oil out of the air box run the oil level well below the full line on the stick. Run it closer to the add line. It's a dry sump so it won't matter.
    To keep brake fluid off the frame and shock remove the sensors from the bottom of the reservoir to keep the warning light off and run the brake fluid only half full in the master cylinder reservoir.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk