Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New Members - Opinions requested (2013) (RSS vs STS/RTS)

So I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately and finally looking to take the plunge with a Spyder.

I would *LOVE* to have a 2013 or 2014 RT, but I just can't bring myself to pay as much for it as I pay for my VW Golf TDI.

That said, I had a few questions for other RSS owners if anyone could speak to any of the questions.

Skimming over some threads I have seen mention of other people purchasing the handlebars and windscreen from a ST/RT and putting it on the RSS.

Basically what I'm looking for is a more comfortable ride vs sport -
    - More upright seating
    - Possibly adding a weatherproof NAV ( any suggestions on where/how to install on a RSS?)
    - Higher windscreen, not anything insanely huge - just a bit more than the sportier one on the RSS
    - Back seat brace for my wife so that's more comfy. Cruise control is a must, so the RS was out.
    - Additional saddlebags/storage options

Pricing so far I have gotten a quote at $15800 + tax/title/tag for a 13 RSS SE5 w/ 4 year BEST warranty. Sound like a decent deal?

Any help navigating the initial purchase and modification to fit those touring type needs would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see everyone around here more in the future. Looking to put the hold on it tomorrow, and go pickup this weekend.

Suggestions for vendors that carry some of the products I'm looking for also welcome.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I admire your sense of adventure...
    But... No matter how much make-up you put on a pig; you'll never turn it into a swan!
    But you can end up with a real pretty pig!!
    (I'm NOT saying that the RS is a pig...)
    The amount of money, time, and efforts expended WILL make you wish that you had bought the RT in the first place...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Having owned a 2008 GS then a 2011 RSS and 2013 STS and putting a lot of money into each of them making them into more of a touring machine. Now that I own the 2014 RTS I am so glad that I do and love it much better than any of the previous spyders. Yes they are expensive but if you are looking for a more comfortable ride then go with the RT series.

Yes you can save up to $7000 with a 2013 but I can tell you it is worth spending the extra on the 2014 with all of the upgrades.

Check around and you will find some dealers are more aggressive than others. Check the bordering states too.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Go with the RTS.....mine is for sale as I'm upgrading to a2014

Spyder Garage

Based on the features you said you wanted, it sounds like the STS Limited is exactly what your looking for since you're starting with a RSS. I bet you could get a good deal on a 13 which also fits your pricing concerns. The RT certainly has all your needs but like you said, it has the big price tag too. Your RSS deal does sound good but by the time you get all the extras you want you'll have spent thousands more. Good luck, the are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by doofoo View Post
    So I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately and finally looking to take the plunge with a Spyder.

I would *LOVE* to have a 2013 or 2014 RT, but I just can't bring myself to pay as much for it as I pay for my VW Golf TDI.

That said, I had a few questions for other RSS owners if anyone could speak to any of the questions.

Skimming over some threads I have seen mention of other people purchasing the handlebars and windscreen from a ST/RT and putting it on the RSS.

Basically what I'm looking for is a more comfortable ride vs sport -
    - More upright seating
    - Possibly adding a weatherproof NAV ( any suggestions on where/how to install on a RSS?)
    - Higher windscreen, not anything insanely huge - just a bit more than the sportier one on the RSS
    - Back seat brace for my wife so that's more comfy. Cruise control is a must, so the RS was out.
    - Additional saddlebags/storage options

Pricing so far I have gotten a quote at $15800 + tax/title/tag for a 13 RSS SE5 w/ 4 year BEST warranty. Sound like a decent deal?

Any help navigating the initial purchase and modification to fit those touring type needs would be greatly appreciated. Hope to see everyone around here more in the future. Looking to put the hold on it tomorrow, and go pickup this weekend.

Suggestions for vendors that carry some of the products I'm looking for also welcome.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 st limited....

I too read your post and it would seem your pretty much describing an ST Limited but adding a backrest.. which there are lots out there.. my wife and I both own 2013 ST Limiteds and had tried all 3 series on roadtests and read lots of forums before we bought.. WE LOVE OUR RYDES...

just sayin

FYI on "CAN-AM SPYDER OWNERS" group on Facebook yesterday.. a gentlemen from Maine was advertising his ST Limited on the group with pictures as well as the link to his craigslist ad.. has the backrest already and 2500 miles.. 21,000 or bo..

here's the link for the craigslist ad http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/4337446628.htmlmainespyder.jpg
    Last edited by jstplayn; 03-27-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: additional info found..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the ONLY problem with the ST Limited?
    It's more expensive than the base RT...

Spyder Garage

if you are looking to do some trips and tour with it, the above comments have validity. if you are looking to just go out and ride and have a great time, the rss is a viable option. we have about 20 k in ours and the wife and I have put 12,500 miles in two summers with it. the wife is comfortable, i'm comfortable and it is a sporty ride. when I ride solo, it has the agility that the rt's lack. (sorry bob!) as far as i'm concerned! i'm 61, but act like a kid! your height and weight can make a difference in the ride on an rs. we did purchase the ultimate seat right off the bat. (wife felt like she was on a downhill seat with the stock seat, always sliding forward) we have a blast on the rss! good luck in your decision!!and as a side note, you can take the rs on a cruise ship where you can't the st or rt!!(got you again bob)
    Last edited by spydaman60; 03-27-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the quick followup!

Would love to pick up a RT or ST, however are the few features I want on the RSS that expensive? (Different handlebars, backseat rest, saddlebags)

I'm still a relatively younger guy I think (31), so a bit sporty doesn't bother me.

Honestly the most I would like to spend is somewhere around 20k max. The idea of buying something brand new is very appealing, with the 4 year warranty especially. Buying used I have pretty much ruled out.

Possible to find RT in that range? I'm in Maryland, the dealers here are quoting almost 17,5k for a 12 RSS - had to quote out of WV to get that down to 15,8k on RSS. They had a 13 STS for 15,8k and RTS for 19,5k but they were both Yellow SM5's.

Anyone with RSS's that have done limited "touring" modifications that are happy with them?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default seating position..

there are 3 very different seat positions from the rs to the st to the RT that was first on your list... and will effect your overall ride expierence.. you can adjust handlebar height with risers

Spyder Garage

doofoo, we toured the first summer with a set of nelson riggs saddle bags and a strap on day pack on the backrest. nothing fancy, but space was available for two or three days of clothes. very inexpensive way to go compared to the brp set-up. we have no need for the bags anymore, as we bought a class c motor home and trailer and ride 250 to 300 mile loops each day from the campgrounds. if you get the rs, let me know and we'll ship you the nelson riggs bags.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the quick followup!

Would love to pick up a RT or ST, however are the few features I want on the RSS that expensive? (Different handlebars, backseat rest, saddlebags)

I'm still a relatively younger guy I think (31), so a bit sporty doesn't bother me.

Honestly the most I would like to spend is somewhere around 20k max. The idea of buying something brand new is very appealing, with the 4 year warranty especially. Buying used I have pretty much ruled out.

Possible to find RT in that range? I'm in Maryland, the dealers here are quoting almost 17,5k for a 12 RSS - had to quote out of WV to get that down to 15,8k on RSS. They had a 13 STS for 15,8k and RTS for 19,5k but they were both Yellow SM5's.

Anyone with RSS's that have done limited "touring" modifications that are happy with them?
    We modified my wife's GS for touring. It is OK, but our RT is better. The biggest problem is that we sunk enough money into it to modify it that we could have bought an RT, if they had existed yet at that time. You need to look at the total cost including mods, to get a true picture...and you will still have to deal with ergonomic compromises with a lower priced model. Have you considered a good used RT? There are quite a few nice ones being traded for the 2014's.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    doofoo, we toured the first summer with a set of nelson riggs saddle bags and a strap on day pack on the backrest. nothing fancy, but space was available for two or three days of clothes. very inexpensive way to go compared to the brp set-up. we have no need for the bags anymore, as we bought a class c motor home and trailer and ride 250 to 300 mile loops each day from the campgrounds. if you get the rs, let me know and we'll ship you the nelson riggs bags.
    Thanks for the offer.. Very much appreciated.

Looking at the Ultimate Seat. Honestly trying to figure out the total cost to get the things I want, using high numbers *I think* (Ultimate Seat $1000-ish, Handlebar Risers/Helibars $350-ish, Floorboards $600-ish) Let's just chalk it up to $2k + the RSS = $17800.

If I could find a RT for around 20k I would do that. I found a new 13' RTS for that price, but it was a manual. I doubt I'll come across a SE5 for that price. I was quoted 25k even for a 14 SE6 RTS, but it honestly just is too high for me to consider. I'm looking to purchase some land and build a house in the next couple of years so I'd rather save cash for that.

Most of my trips will be "local" day or at most weekend trips within a few hundred miles of my home. I have a 3 year old at home, so my wife and I will probably not be able to get away further/longer than that. When we take trips, it's typically to camp with our daughter (travel trailer, so no possibility to bring the Spyder).

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool My 2012 RSS built for comfort and sport.

True the RT is the caddy but the RSS is what u make it, plenty of power and lots of sport as far as comfort a set of Heli bar risors and floor boards and the comfort level has risen to that of a STS also nelson rigg has some really nice soft saddle bags that hold for two up on a trip. I also added a BRP Comfort seat and i can ride the day and still keep the price under $20,000.
    The majority of riders on here own maxed out RTL and you cant beat them for comfort though if sport is what you are leaning twards and a smaller budget youll be quite happy with a 12 or 13 RSS outfitted to suit you.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Comments from a newbie.

I have recently purchased a 2013 ST Limited, the reasons I went for this model are exactly the same as what you are looking for. When I first saw the RT I thought it looked to big and bulky. I'm not planning to do that much long distance touring so didn't need the extra luggage capacity that the RT gave. I suffer with back problems and the ST gives me a very comfortable ride, I recently did a 1000km round trip over a weekend and had no aches or pains when I got off at the end of the journey. The front screen is adjustable and gives ample protection from the elements.
    Alan:
    2013 Spyder ST Limited
    TBR
    Black Series Slip-On Exhaust with M-5 Carbon Canister and P1X power tip and black bolt kit
    Fox Podium shocks
    BRP Carbon black sports rack & backrest
    Custom Dynamics LED converted taillights & black tag bolts
    WrapMySpyder carbon dash kit & GT stripes & graphics
    Bestem USA carbon side fairings, belt guards & under tail
    Procoat NZ powder coated wheels
    Hydrographics NZ carbon dipped front suspension covers, billet caps and dash surround
    Spyderpops 3D SS Grille set

Spyder Garage

there are a lot of dealers selling 2013 RTS, s at big discount's. Saw a SE5 on ebay for $21.540 buy it now. I bet you could get it for less than that.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RS comfort seat for sale 350.00

There is a comfort seat with a gel pad insert for 350.00 in the for sale section.
    For the length of rides you are talking about and your age the RSS should be a great fit for you the nice thing about the RSS is it already has the beefier sway bar and the Fox gas charged racing shocks so you won't need to do any suspension upgrades however if your dealership has the laser alignment available see if they will throw that into the deal and usually you can get the passenger back rest for cost-installed.
    one last thing is to get them to drop the shipping and assembly charges trust me they have room to bargain and they are still making plenty of money on the deal. I have bought 2 spyders and they were willing to deal both times.
    Good luck and you are going to love your new spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A quick rundown on the ergos...
    RS Ergonomics.jpg ST Ergonomics.jpg RT Ergonomics.jpg

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My $.02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I admire your sense of adventure...
    But... No matter how much make-up you put on a pig; you'll never turn it into a swan!
    But you can end up with a real pretty pig!!
    (I'm NOT saying that the RS is a pig...)
    The amount of money, time, and efforts expended WILL make you wish that you had bought the RT in the first place...
    I was going to add a comment to your post/questions, but Bob nailed it without me reading any further. I had a 2008 and now have a 2010. I now ride at night (great lights) ride in colder weather (heated grips) and FAR more comfort. I found my Spyder (RT-S) on Craig's list -- my daughter, Laura, also found her 2011 RT-Limited on Craig's list. In your price range you should be able to find a great 2010 - 2012 RT-S or RT-Limited. Now I'm going to read the rest of the responses to your post.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    I was going to add a comment to your post/questions, but Bob nailed it without me reading any further. I had a 2008 and now have a 2010. I now ride at night (great lights) ride in colder weather (heated grips) and FAR more comfort. I found my Spyder (RT-S) on Craig's list -- my daughter, Laura, also found her 2011 RT-Limited on Craig's list. In your price range you should be able to find a great 2010 - 2012 RT-S or RT-Limited. Now I'm going to read the rest of the responses to your post.

Don
    Are all the BEST warranties transferable? The only way I would consider buying a used one is if it still had substantial warranty time left.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about prowling the dealerships, and try to find a 2012 leftover?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How about prowling the dealerships, and try to find a 2012 leftover?
    Honestly I'd be fine with that, but the one dealer I've come across with locally had a 2012 RSS and wanted more for it ($17,1k) than I could get a 2013 RSS from another dealer ($15,5), and almost as much as the good priced dealer had a 2014 RSS ($17,5k).

If the dealers were willing to work with me on price on a 2012/2013 RT or RTS and I could get it for around 20k - I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I'll call a few more dealers to see what's up.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Follow up.. Picked up a new 2013 RSS today under the 4 year BEST warranty promotion.

Only got to ride it in the driveway so far, it was pouring down raining the whole day.

Looking forward to making the small little modifications to make it mine (windshield, floorboards, seat/backrest for my wife and perhaps risers/new more comfy bars) but I'll be happy with the RSS after weighing the options on them all. It just didn't make sense, even adding up full list price of all the aftermarket stuff I wanted to purchase the ST, let alone the RT for the prices I could get.

Thanks everyone for the input! Now have to pick up my wife a helmet and some comm devices.

Pics below..

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with that! For the last 20 to 30 years Honda Goldwings, new and used, have been about the same price as a Honda Civic!!
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default nice ride doofoo

good for you. have fun.
    it was fun while it lasted.