Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earplugs

Spyder Garage

Default Earplugs

This is not a real exciting topic. But it is something I've been "messing" with the last week or so.
    I noticed that I was getting a lot of road noise at freeway speed. Maybe I noticed it because I'm getting older--maybe not. Anyway I looked up on the internet and found that wind noise at 65 MPH could exceed 125 decibels. That is loud...really loud. So I got some ear plugs. Foam ear plugs. It reduced the noise a lot. So I decided that I would get some molded ear plugs that fit just fine.

The last time I was at Las Vegas Bikefest there was a vendor selling custom earplugs for $67. So I called a few audiologists in my area. I live about 80 miles East of Los Angeles. The audiologists charge between $95 and $145. I went over to the local Honda motorsports shop and he had some do-it-yourself kits for $30. I then checked Amazon.com and found a do-it-yourself kit for $19. I bought the $19 version.

It came. I read the instructions two or three times and followed them exactly. As expected the earplugs came out just fine. No problem

So today...me, the earplugs and my RT up on the super slab. 77 MPH. Much quieter. Much nicer. I also noticed a couple of other things that seem to have changed by wearing the earplugs: 1) I no longer have a tendency to shift at too low an RPM. My shifting is naturally well within the power band. This is good. 2) The wind-head-buffeting from trucks and cross winds doesn't bother me as much. I understand #1, but not #2.

Any ideas why #2....why did the wind buffeting seem less?
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

The air pressure changes from the buffeting isn't affecting your inner ear as much as it did before the ear plugs.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on a wise choice!
    Buffeting bothers you less, because a large portion of it is the noise generated by the airflow...
    ...the very thing, that you've protected yourself from!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Put up a link for the DIY earplugs...................

would be appreciated. 2 yrs ago, at Spyderfest in Cuba, Don from TX was there making the Big Ears custom earplugs, approx. $60. Got a pair and they're great for blocking out the noise. I found just the opposite that I was used to shifting by sound more than looking at tach. One time I looked down as I was accelerating onto a highway and saw I was at 9,500 RPM. Oops!!!!

Spyder Garage

I have two sets, both custom made. I had one set made at a BMW Rally and they are for use with an iPod. The second set was made by my audiologist and are purely for hearing protection while riding. Both were expensive but you get what you pay for when it comes to effectiveness and comfort. I think the protective only ones were made by Beltone.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

We have used earplugs for years. Another benefit that is hard to understand is that you will actually become less fatigued during a long trip, for some unknown reason. One of the biggest benefits is that you don't take an hour to hear again normally after your ride ends. Nancy and I currently use the Big Ear plugs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    We have used earplugs for years. Another benefit that is hard to understand is that you will actually become less fatigued during a long trip, for some unknown reason. One of the biggest benefits is that you don't take an hour to hear again normally after your ride ends. Nancy and I currently use the Big Ear plugs.
    I've been wearing earplugs for years. I just use the foam ones but I just might break down and buy custom fitted ones.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those D.I.Y.s from Amazon "sound" interesting...

Spyder Garage

​custom protect ear......great investment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: How long can you get away with wearing them around the house, before they figure out that you're not actually listening to them?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: How long can you get away with wearing them around the house, before they figure out that you're not actually listening to them?
    Have you checked the missus' ears lately?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All I need to do, is try to open the BRP Accessoires catalog, and she's on me like a Hungry Pit-Bull!

Spyder Garage

This is clearly a premeditated action to bump up post count

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Ditto!

Never leave home without them. If your not wearing them now you will already have lost some hearing.

I wear Bluetooth Helmet speakers and foam ear plugs. Ear plugs cut out the wind and road noise and you can hear your MP3 or XM more clear than ever. Also Big EAR makes a killer molded ear headset that plugs into the GPS or Bluetooth Ear Molds are just being developed.

Ear plugs will also work with the OEM radio on the Spyder but you will certainly P/O anyone around you. Get a Helmet headset and make everyone around wonder what your listening to and why you have that Spyder Grin.

Spyder Garage

Ear plugs are great. The only way to fly. I use them all the time. Generic 32db models. Never tried custom fit versions. Maybe I should look into them.

I've found that I sleep better when riding with ear plugs than without...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I can't stand ear plugs

foam things give me a headache from the pressure .. I can do the moldable wax stuff as long as I don't hit the pressure points in my ears.. and they fall out eventually.. I have always been destined to have the wind in my ears.. I can't even wear reading glasses for over 15 minutes because of the pressure. and I read lips

Spyder Garage

Bought 200 of these three years ago; not even through half the box yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comfy enough and they do the job.

And, contrary to assumption, you hear the traffic around you *better* with earplugs in than without at anything about running speed-- plugs block the bad sound but let you hear what you need to hear.

(Oh, and yeah: I can hear my Sena just fine through the plugs, too!)
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    She already believes I do not hear her. I do not want to give her un falsifiable evidence.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

I have the custom molded ear plugs with the imbedded amplifier in each ear piece. When I plug into my music I dont even hear my hindle or kewl metal air intake, all I hear is music - I shift based upon vibration, because I can't hear anything beyond the music. Its the best.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    foam things give me a headache from the pressure .. I can do the moldable wax stuff as long as I don't hit the pressure points in my ears.. and they fall out eventually.. I have always been destined to have the wind in my ears.. I can't even wear reading glasses for over 15 minutes because of the pressure. and I read lips
    I have much the same problem. I even wear my glasses elevated above my ears because they hurt otherwise. I also have very tiny earholes, so even the moldable plugs or the smallest available silicon ones bother me. Try the Big Ear custom plugs, or one of the alternative products. I have no pain at all from them. They are worth the money and the half hour or so it takes to have them made and coated.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I've found that I sleep better when riding with ear plugs than without...
    Well THAT's an eye-opener!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Custom ear plugs

I went to a local hearing clinic a few years back and had the Audiologist/HIS craft me a set of custom ear plugs. She made the molds and sent them away for processing. Within a week I went back for a fitting. I wore them for a week or so at her suggestion and went back again to fine tune the fit. She was aware that I would be wearing the plugs under a helmet and wanted to make sure that there were no pressure points experienced from wearing the plugs with a helmet. The final adjustments were made and the plugs are indeed a custom fit.

i can wear them all day without discomfort and they definitely block out wind noise and make riding the bike much more enjoyable. Another side benefit I discovered is wearing these plugs while sleeping in a strange bed while traveling makes for a better sleep every time. Blocks out all those unfamiliar and annoying sounds like the infamous rattling window air conditioners we run into in the less pricey motels that we tend to stay in while on the road.

The process to custom fit the plugs took multiple visits and I do admit to feeling a tad guilty at only paying $100 for the finished product. This was compounded a bit when I lost one of the plugs while on a road trip six months later and they were replaced at no charge.

Any type of ear protection is beneficial and I would recommend going the custom fit route based on my experiences with ear plugs.

Spyder Garage

I always use some sort of hearing protection when I ride. I use these when riding one-up and listening to music; when not listening to music I wear foam plugs.

http://www.earfuze.com/store.html

When Some Girl is with me I use the blue tooth in the comm unit that I have in a different helmet so we both can listen. I always use the foam plugs when using the blue tooth and can hear the everything just fine.

Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Quieter Ride

Hopefully you will not miss something you need to hear... ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hopefully you will not miss something you need to hear... ......Mike
    Eliminating the wind noise (a.k.a. white noise) makes it easier to hear the important stuff around, like cars, sirens, etc.

Granted, listening to music pretty much negates that, so you have to be extra vigilant. I never listen to music when I'm just riding around town.