Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Limited Issues

Picked up the bike on the 15th of this month. I love the bike, but I have not had the opportunity to "fully" enjoy the experience. Traded in a 2011 RT. I usually ryde with a full helmet. A few days later, I purchased a half helmet. Now, I could hear everything. I noticed a clicking sound from the from the front wheel area. I also noticed that the front brakes were rubbing as I rode and when I stepped on the brakes, it was even more rubbing. I have also noticed that at 75 mph, after backing off of the throttle, there is a vibration that I can feel through the floor boards. It is now back at the dealership to be checked out. Has anyone else experienced any of these issues on a new-bike-just-out-of-the-crate? Thanks for any and all feed-back that I can get.
    TC

Spyder Garage

No clicking sounds here but my brakes do rub also... I asked a few others with 14's n a few said the same...
    2014 Black RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trailing throttle vibration (At that speed...), is the drive belt... it's about as normal as these machines can be!
    Clicking??
    Some others have mentioned it; I just don't remember what was decided...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The brakes may need to wear in that will stop the rubbing sound and u may have a caliper shim that is to loose behind the brake pads that will sound like a clicking noise, my front left caliper has that same noise when stoping only.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a little better. First time in 3 years that I haven't had a in the garage. I should be out ryding.

Spyder Garage

It sounds like the above posters have you covered. So far, so good, not to many issues with the 2014 RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another member had a clicking from the front and reported his lug nuts were loose. You could also put some disc brake quiet(orange goo) on the backs of the brake pads this keeps them from moving around and is recommended by Bajaron when putting new pads on. The belt vibes can be addressed by a belt stabilizer sold by sponsors of this site. I got one from bakerbuilt but haven't got it on yet.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Disc Brakes

It's been my experience that all disc brakes drag a little bit, some moreso than others. About all I can say is that your change in helmet styles might require the use of earplugs. I wear a half helmet but then again I worked for almost 34 years in a noisy factory and lost a lot of my hearing.

Spyder Garage

Default X2 on the

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Another member had a clicking from the front and reported his lug nuts were loose. You could also put some disc brake quiet(orange goo) on the backs of the brake pads this keeps them from moving around and is recommended by Bajaron when putting new pads on. The belt vibes can be addressed by a belt stabilizer sold by sponsors of this site. I got one from bakerbuilt but haven't got it on yet.
    loose lug nuts. I saw that thread as well. There should not be a brake hanging up, good that its back at the dealer.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

I have the same vibration issue at 70'ish
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Hey you guys, I thought the 2014's were perfect and bullet proof. What was all the hype about? What gives? Just kidding. It is after all a "snowmobile" with three wheels.

I have ridden the 2014 for two days. It does drive slightly better, and the heat is much lower but you can have the 6th gear. It is gutless with no torque in 6th. You have to always shift down to 5th if you want to pass anything. Engine sounds like a Toyota and not a "motorcycle".

Thus far I still prefer my late 2013 to the 2014. When is vivid red coming back?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Lug Nuts"... THAT was the one!
    My memory just isn't what it...

...What was I talking about??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the harmonic vibration at 75 also but I disagree with Jack on 6th gear think it is great. I rarely have to downshift to 5th to pass,
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

All disc brakes rub. The pad constantly rides against or near the rotor in light contact, and in full contact with the rotor when engaged. I doubt it is anything different than with previous models.....you can just hear it better.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

6th gear is overdrive so I don't expect more than it is. I was surprised that the in 6th the bike held cruise control up a steep climb and did not loose a single RPM!

Spyder Garage

Just got a call from the dealership. The RT is ready. All is well. Everything has been checked out. Thanks for all of your input. I've been on Spyderlovers before I purchased my first Spyder. Was satisfied with the 2011 RT, but reading all of the comments about the 2014, I hade to "pull the trigger". Very happy with all of the improvements and especially the color. Thanks to Joe and Ann, on Sunday I got "SQUARED AWAY" and I was able to ryde "straight" home. Tonight, the RT will be back home in the garage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    I have the same vibration issue at 70'ish
    +1. I think they all do in the 70-75 range. Just the way it is.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Install the idler, from one of the Sponsors. Well worth the time and money.

Spyder Garage

Default I have also noticed that at 75 mph, after backing off of the throttle

Topcat
    I notice it at 78 and more at 82 when I brought my rt home. I notice it more on a down hill and when I would back off the cruse controll felt that vibration. Belt drives are nice. but tension needs to be monitor more than shaft drives.
    My victory vision started a squeaking noise at about 9 k found out the belt wasn't tight enough and adjusted it and it ran for 30 k with no problems.
    It might take some fine adjustment to help this situation but I will wait till it is broke in at 3000 mile. just make sure the belt doesn't move off of the inside flange to much. My victory forum recommended to wash the belt that seam to keep it quiet and last long.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rev.rr View Post
    Topcat
    I notice it at 78 and more at 82 when I brought my rt home. I notice it more on a down hill and when I would back off the cruse controll felt that vibration. Belt drives are nice. but tension needs to be monitor more than shaft drives.
    My victory vision started a squeaking noise at about 9 k found out the belt wasn't tight enough and adjusted it and it ran for 30 k with no problems.
    It might take some fine adjustment to help this situation but I will wait till it is broke in at 3000 mile. just make sure the belt doesn't move off of the inside flange to much. My victory forum recommended to wash the belt that seam to keep it quiet and last long.

rev.rr
    Thanks for the additional information. This is a beautiful bike and we will have some issues. But, with all of the experience out there, I won't be going through this all alone. I'll keep an eye on the belt and I will order the tensioner for it.

Spyder Garage

The old Triumps and early Japanese bikes would numb your feet, butt, and hands; now that was vibration!
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy a can of paint, ride home with it, and it'd be ready to use!
    007 Style... "Shaken; not stirred!"

Spyder Garage

So what was the problem with the front brake sound? I have noticed this on mine at slow speeds from the 1st day and I currently have 3500 miles on it and still doing it. I had it checked when I got the first service done at 3000 miles and they said it was dirt in the brakes but the funny thing is it still makes the noise even when driving out of the parking lot of that dealer...... Seems to be coming from the left side front (as sitting on the spyder).
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Topcat the owners manual does say if you have vibration take it in to the dealer. I just read that today.