Thread: advice

Spyder Garage

Default advice

is it wrong to think about installing back up sensors to my 2012 RT in conjunction with camera.? those mirrors are just NOT that effective , especially if your a big burly person.
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think it's a great idea, you can pick up a unit at Auto Zone and install it easy, one of my friends just put one on his
    GoldWing and it works great I am thinking of doing it next week to my Spyder
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    is it wrong to think about installing back up sensors to my 2012 RT in conjunction with camera.? those mirrors are just NOT that effective , especially if your a big burly person.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Backing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I think it's a great idea, you can pick up a unit at Auto Zone and install it easy, one of my friends just put one on his
    GoldWing and it works great I am thinking of doing it next week to my Spyder
    Dave
    I'm sorry, are you guys serious?

Spyder Garage

And when you put that back up device in make sure it beeps and you have one of those reflective wide load signs.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It can certainly be done...
    But jeepers; is it that tough to turn your head to both sides, and actually look behind you?
    I'm sorry; I don't mean it to sound funny... but when do people stop looking for ways to do less, with more technology?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool hey I resent that

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It can certainly be done...
    But jeepers; is it that tough to turn your head to both sides, and actually look behind you?
    I'm sorry; I don't mean it to sound funny... but when do people stop looking for ways to do less, with more technology?
    my manly feelings are hurt, ...BOB. I mean we really don't need turn signals either...or a brake light.......or a gps ( there's paper maps). BTW I have crimptitus of the lobo region of my neck and can only turn 7%
    of my L & R. so , yup I got me a set ordered!
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The best way to back up (for me) I just turn (twist) around in the seat till I can see whats is behind me

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

my manly feelings are hurt, ...BOB. I mean we really don't need turn signals either...or a brake light.......or a gps ( there's paper maps). BTW I have crimptitus of the lobo region of my neck and can only turn 7%
    of my L & R. so , yup I got me a set ordered!
    I'm sorry for your disability but with that kind of a phys. handicap you shouldn't be on any kind of motorcycle. You need to know what's going on around you at all times. It is unsafe for you and especially unsafe for others.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hogrider46 View Post
    I'm sorry for your disability but with that kind of a phys. handicap you shouldn't be on any kind of motorcycle. You need to know what's going on around you at all times. It is unsafe for you and especially unsafe for others.
    How the hell can you say that? If he passed the drivers test let the man enjoy his ride. From where you are sitting you are in no position to say what this person is or is not capable of doing.

Spyder Garage

I like the idea of a back up camera. My latest car has one, and I like it a lot. I also have difficulty making that full turn around without some pain. I use my car camera as an aid--but do not rely on it totally.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default hey its all good here

dude, I am so sorry - I was being sarcastic toward Bob D. funning with him. there is no such thing as cripticus of the lobo region of the neck. and furthermore apologize to anyone I may have offended. (foot in the mouth).
    although, I am fat and lazy and is the only reason for a backup system. your comments were not warranted though and ultimately my business with or without a disability to add farkles to my time machine.
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If someone wishes to put a back up monitor on their Spyder then go for it. Although the majority of people are flexible enough to be able to swivel their back or neck sufficiently to see what is behind them, there are many who do not have that level of flexibility. To me, adding a rear view monitor to the Spyder is no different than any other device people put on their machines to make the driving experience more enjoyable. (Bigger mirrors, hand brakes, backrests, highway pegs, GPS, HID's, etc....)
    It always inspires me to see a person with any level of physical impairment making adjustments to their personal transport in able to enjoy to fully enjoy those things in life that most of us take for granted. I continue to be amazed at people's ingenuity.

Spyder Garage

Nobody's head turns 180 degrees, so the view to the back will always be less than ideal. I think a rearview camera is better suited to the task than mirrors, so I say go for it if you can afford it. From what Dave (CyncySpyder) said (and Teddy confirmed) the real problem is in finding suitably waterproof equipment, especially the monitor. Also consider that the ignition could interfere with wireless units, so wired may be a better way to go, IMO. Even then you may have to shield the wiring or take other noise reduction measures.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

dude, I am so sorry - I was being sarcastic toward Bob D. funning with him. there is no such thing as cripticus of the lobo region of the neck. and furthermore apologize to anyone I may have offended. (foot in the mouth).
    although, I am fat and lazy and is the only reason for a backup system. your comments were not warranted though and ultimately my business with or without a disability to add farkles to my time machine.
    Now; I LIKE your sense of humor!

If anything; I should apologize to you, for my lack of support for a farkling endeavor...

Are we good?

Spyder Garage

I married my "back up sensor" 32 years ago.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Hogrider: If you plan on attending Spyderfest I advise you to stay away from my wife who has a right arm that is paralyzed and a left arm that cannot rotate completely because it has a steel bar in it. Because her C5 and C6 connections are avulsed she cannot achieve full neck rotation either.
    Oh, and you'd better stay away from Seth, he would probably kick you (if he had the use of his legs).
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default sensorship

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    I married my "back up sensor" 32 years ago.
    yeah me 2 , but-she's just as lazy as I am. I've got 34yrs invested in mine!
    ooh I hope she's not on the puter
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Is that a threat?

Because they will have to come to me for the big fight because I can't walk. Yes, I'm handcaped also. I have had 10 back surgeries due to injuries in the service and others. My back is all metal now with rods, cages and screws holding it all together. I can barely feel my legs and feet due to a spinal cord injury that occured during one of those surgeries I was lucky I wasn't paralysed completely. I set an looked at my Harley for 2 yrs. Knowing I couldn't ride it safely. Than along came a Spyder what a miracle I said to my self I can do this. I would need a handbrake, a backrest, floorboards and a cane. Yea, it hurts like hell all the time but I hurt setting at home in a chair. The main thing is I ride safely if I couldn't do that I'd sell it in a second. I have over 45+ years of experience on bikes. If it would become unsafe for me or unsafe for others if I continued to ride the guys I ride with would let me know. I know it's hard giving something up you love to do but there has to be limits. There are a lot of rules that come into play when your on a bike but I have never read any on here, SL.Maybe I missed them.

But to clear up this post I don't have a problem w/ handicap people riding motorcycles as long as it is safe for them to do so and safe for those around them.
    And as far as the op's farkles I wouldn't care if he put a 50 cal. machine gun on it but I do think the backup camera is a little much.

Getting back to the fights, I know who I'd put my money on :yikes:

Thanks,
    Steve

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

Well said Steve! Much of your story mirrors mine. I was paralysed by an operation on my C3-c5 vertebrae ten years ago and kept my Buell for 3 years. My first move was on to a road going Can Am Outlander quad, but the Spyder is much better. The pain when riding is always there, but try stopping me!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

.50s are okay?
    This fellow is ready for an upgrade!
    Man the Guns.jpg
    And as long as ANY rider can operate the controls in a manner that makes them capable of safe usage of a vehicle:

Spyder Garage

Because they will have to come to me for the big fight because I can't walk. Yes, I'm handcaped also. I have had 10 back surgeries due to injuries in the service and others. My back is all metal now with rods, cages and screws holding it all together. I can barely feel my legs and feet due to a spinal cord injury that occured during one of those surgeries I was lucky I wasn't paralysed completely. I set an looked at my Harley for 2 yrs. Knowing I couldn't ride it safely. Than along came a Spyder what a miracle I said to my self I can do this. I would need a handbrake, a backrest, floorboards and a cane. Yea, it hurts like hell all the time but I hurt setting at home in a chair. The main thing is I ride safely if I couldn't do that I'd sell it in a second. I have over 45+ years of experience on bikes. If it would become unsafe for me or unsafe for others if I continued to ride the guys I ride with would let me know. I know it's hard giving something up you love to do but there has to be limits. There are a lot of rules that come into play when your on a bike but I have never read any on here, SL.Maybe I missed them.

But to clear up this post I don't have a problem w/ handicap people riding motorcycles as long as it is safe for them to do so and safe for those around them.
    And as far as the op's farkles I wouldn't care if he put a 50 cal. machine gun on it but I do think the backup camera is a little much.

Getting back to the fights, I know who I'd put my money on

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve:

Thanks for the clarification.

I misunderstood your initial post as being anything but pro-handicapped.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default rearview camera

Just call it a birds eye view.