Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trying to break the harley addiction

Been lookin at a 2014 with the tree cylinders. Has anyone here had to break that harley addiction. Are you glad you did. Are they comfy to ride all day?. Any input will help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr,Shangles View Post
    Been lookin at a 2014 with the tree cylinders. Has anyone here had to break that harley addiction. Are you glad you did. Are they comfy to ride all day?. Any input will help

Dont right the opposite.. I went from Canam to Harley....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Which one you like best

Using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I had an older model Harley and I got knocked off it. Not able to hold up a big cruiser any more because of the wreck but, I am still riding and that is all that counts. And I don't care what make or model it is. Have a Great One! Ride Safe & Long !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went from a 2005 1200 Sportster Custom to a 2012 Spyder RS. The Sportster was my first road bike (had dirt bikes in the past) and I bought it really because the Harley dealer was literally right next door to work. All in all it was a good bike but I prefer the Spyder. I find the Spyder to be A LOT more comfortable. I'm also a lot more comfortable on the Spyder mentally and that's probably because I've ridden snowmobiles my whole life and riding a Spyder is the same.

I put 20K miles on the sportster in 9 years and 4500 miles on the Spyder in one. I have a lot more fun on the Spyder. It's just more fun to ride for me.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, I just don't get the Harley thing. As a group I don't like Harley riders. As for Harley's they are just now with the current models bringing them out of the 1960's technology wise. They are big, heavy, slow, loud, hard to maneuver, expensive and ugly (except for the V-Rod). No, I have never owned a Harley, but then again I have never had malaria, but I know enough about both to know I want neither.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a road test and ride a spyder but don't ride it like a harley it's not. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2003 HD Electraglide. Loved riding that bike for 10 years. Never had any problems with it. Bought my 2013 ST Limited last year. After not riding the HD due to having too much fun on the Spyder, sold the HD. My husband sold his HD Road King after we bought the 2012 RTS last September.

Spyder Garage

Default My comparison

Ms Spyder shares her garage with a HD trike. The only time I have driven a HD trike was when I started shopping . Sooooo glad I got Ms Spyder .. Here is my short list.
    Reverse. That alone makes Spyder a 10. HD 0
    ease of ryding...Spyder handles twisties easily
    Stability....far far superior
    IMHO if it gets you in the wind and you like the ride...who cares what it is. I have found in all my travels that Harley folks are awesome..met a HD dude once having a bad hair day and needed an attitude adjustment..AND have met Spyder owner using same shampoo. I never ever let anyone steal my JOY..just say in'. My life, my choice. I choose ..having my glass, at least 1/2 full .. Yep there are days life sucks... But I am still responsible for how I respond to whatever comes my way....aaaahhhhh yep LIFE IS GREAT..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Mr,Shangles;779186]Been lookin at a 2014 with the tree cylinders. Has anyone here had to break that harley addiction. Are you glad you did. Are they comfy to ride all day?. Any input will help

Sounds like me.
    Since 2002 I put on over 180,000 miles on my two Harley's. Rode them in all 49 states(could not find a way to ride to Hawaii). Last year my wife purchased the 2013 STL so we had both in the garage. We took a trip together on the Spyder and shaired driving. I found it very comfy and very easy to hold up.
    Last fall I sold the Harley and we traded in the STL for a 2014 RTL with matching RT 622 trailer.
    To answer your three questions - one word - YES
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your taste in bikes and websites!
    Can Am, versus Harley?
    Both offer new options to riders that are looking for a different approach...
    They just do it in different ways!
    I've ridden Tri-Glides, and they were a lot fo fun. The 3rd gear roll-on power is RIGHTEOUS!
    But they do feel a bit less... refined? That may not be the proper word...
    The controls are all heavier.
    The steering is not really as "precise" (Although Spyders have their own quirks here as well)
    They don't handle bumpy roads quite as smoothly.
    But...
    They are a VERY well sorted-out touring machine in their own right.

Maybe it's a bit like "Blondes, versus Brunettes", or "Peanut Butter and Jelly, versus Grilled Cheese and Bacon"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Try the Spyder and see, preferably with a known Spyder rider around to help. Had HD years ago, liked/bought the sportier Hondas. then got where I was concerned about holding up a big bike. Tried all different kinds of trikes, decided the Spyder was for me.
    Some people decide image is the main thing, comfort/mechanical things are second. I would not own any Moto guzzi made, but lot of people like them. My choice. What is comfort, you have to decide that. I think the stock seat on my/this spyder is just fine, other spend money to buy a different one for their own reasons.
    Do some HD riders
    "project" the big, bad a.. look, yes. Are there a lot just nice people on a HD, yes.
    End of rant on this. It is not what you ride, but if you ride. I heard a long time ago: Live to ride, Ride to live
    works for me
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Before I bought my 2013 RT Ltd, I had ridden mostly H/Ds since the mid 1980s. I had just about all the models at one time or another. (No, I am not that wealthy. The wife worked at the dealer!! ) I found I was mostly a touring style rider and had 3 different Ultras, a Road King, along with a Gold Wing and a couple of BMWs. Never was a "if-u-ain't-H/D-u-ain't-sh*t" kind o' guy.

With that said, I find Spyder riding to be much more relaxing than ANY 2-wheeled experience, especially for us used-to-be-young folks. Three wheels gives you a little more freedom to look around without throwing your balance out of kilter. Stop lights are no big deal. (29" inseam) You don't have to worry about where to put your foot, i.e., gravel, the drop-offs... Reverse is a DREAM on these machines. Parking lots and any slow riding is NOT an exercise in balance. Rain? Tar snakes? Bovine exhaust? Any slick road condition doesn't cause near panic! Bumpy roads are much smoother. I don't know what else to tell ya other than, you will enjoy the experience if you just ignore the hard core H/D folks, which I did in the first place!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Sorry, I just don't get the Harley thing. As a group I don't like Harley riders. As for Harley's they are just now with the current models bringing them out of the 1960's technology wise. They are big, heavy, slow, loud, hard to maneuver, expensive and ugly (except for the V-Rod). No, I have never owned a Harley, but then again I have never had malaria, but I know enough about both to know I want neither.
    Far be it for me to defend HD, but.........

HD is kinda stuck because they have to appeal to their fan base. Their bikes are designed around what their customers want and expect, and they deliver just that, as their sales figures indicate. They're heavy, slow, and clunky because they're built to be tough and to last a lot of miles. They stick with push rods because that means their valve never need adjustment, and not because they don't know or understand newer technology. And, for the record, the new HD do have quite a bit of new tech stuff, like Brembo anti-lock braking systems, etc.

The new HD's are better built that the new Beemers, as evidenced by the latest motorcycle customer (problems reported) surveys, showing BMW makes the worse motorcycles in available in the US market by a BIG margin (of the major manufacturers), with Yamaha being the best. Can Am was not rated.

While I completely agree that I don't get the whole pirate thing, a lot of people do and they spend A LOT of money doing it. I also don't get the chrome thing either. It's just like I don't understand why a lot of beemer riders are utter snobs.

I don't own any HD products at this time, but may in the future. I have owned 2 HD's and 2 beemers previously, so I think I'm pretty familiar with them. I do have a good friend with a new HD bagger (Street Glide, I think) and it is a truly nice motorcycle. From my limited riding experience, I'd say HD hit the bullseye for it's intended use.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had no trouble braking the HARLEY addiction, I simlply got tired of having to call my wife
    to bring the trailer and come and get me. I have owned 6 HD's and all were trouble, the last
    one had never ending electronics problems... Bought a GoldWing, that was number 5, the
    5th. trouble free Wing.
    Dave

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Y'all got me thinking , maybe. Plus on my last bike ride I missed a piece of wood in road by only inches, with 2 wheels = problem, 3 wheels= less problem. Wife has been on me to get a triglide. Getting balance problems now. Thanks for the help

Using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stuff in the road...
    The typical bike has a MUCH easier time avoiding this debris; only one tire track...
    The typical cage has only two tire tracks...
    We've got three...
    You've got to keep your eyes down the road, if you expect ANY chance to avoid something that's in your path.\
    If you can't: try to "size it up"
    You can SOMETIMES aim to put the object JUST to the inside of one of your front wheels.
    That's your best bet to hope that the rear wheel doesn't catch it!
    I had a dead "Quill Turtle" in my lane, and tried to miss it in that manner...
    And I STILL got about twenty quills stuck in the rear tire sidewall!

Spyder Garage

Default Well sort of ..

I didn't exactly kick the habit, I still have an '03 VROD. I got rid of my '07 FLHX and have not regretted it. The RT is a ton of fun to ride in any condition. My wife and I took it around Lake Michigan last summer and she didn't complain about comfort a single time.

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

I ride a Spyder RS SM5 (wouldn't feel like a bike at all if not for the manual tranny) and absolutely love it. I ride with many Harley folks and have the utmost respect for them, their machines, and the heritage. They return the favor with much respect back. Seems like the way to go with my favorite hobby.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anytime you ask a question such as the OP did on a site like this you are going to hear responses straight from the side of the brain influenced by "owner bias".

The OP has a good question regarding the comparison of the two choices, but some take it as an opportunity to attack people and products. Geez... I will leave my comments at that.

To the OP... you need to ride both and make your own comparison. They are clearly not in the same class with each other; thus have entirely different features, responses, and requirements to properly operate and enjoy. It is an apples and oranges situation.

I own both and never make the mistake of confusing which is which. I like both equally the same for what they are. However, I do like the feel of a motorcycle in the twisties far better than the Spyder. I can handle a bike much better, faster, and with less work in the twisties than a Spyder -- but do not underestimate a Spyder either. JMHO.

There are a lot of good people on this site that can provide their opinions without bashing people and products; but make sure you do your homework by riding a Spyder before putting-down a wad of money on one.

A lot of people can like or dislike whatever they want; but that does not mean you will like or dislike the same.

Good luck in your choice.
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 03-23-2014 at 01:40 PM.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I had a dead "Quill Turtle" in my lane, and tried to miss it in that manner...
    And I STILL got about twenty quills stuck in the rear tire sidewall!
    What is this "Quill Turtle" you speak of Mr Denman? We have box turtles and snappers around here, but I have never heard of a quill turtle. Porcupine?

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Last ride was 19 years on a wing and I rode two other HD. Pick up a New 2012 RT in may of 2012. I can tell you I am not looking back. I Love this thing and will not go back to two wheels.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vrodrjs View Post
    What is this "Quill Turtle" you speak of Mr Denman? Porcupine?
    You guessed it!
    But we call them much worse; right after the impact!

Spyder Garage

and to this website. GREAT CHOICE!!!!!

2 years ago, I bought a HD Switchback ( it was new to the Harley Line) I traded it for a 2012 RTS-SE5, I love my spyder and I will not go back to a 2-wheeled motorcycle ( I have a card saying " RESTRICTED TO RIDING A THREE WHEEL MOTORCYCLE ONLY this is from Vermont Agency of Transportation Dept. of Motor Vehicles and must be carried with License/ Permit). I feel safer and I like the features that the spyder offers. Deanna777
    Last edited by Deanna777; 03-26-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

It's not what you ride , it's that you ride

The Spyder (especially the 14 with a six speed and 1330) is a much more comfortable relaxed ride.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer