Spyder Garage

Default Cheap frunk operator for 14 RTd

Here is a pic of the power door lock actuator I bought open my frunk on the 14 RTSE6. This and the switch cost me $12 from Amazon. The actuator mounting matches the look and the bolt pattern of the stock set up. No complicated wiring is required since it only needs to be powered to operate in one direction. It is gear driven so ample power to push the release arm to pop the trunk. I plan to install the momentary contact switch to operate it in a discrete location and have it powered all the time for convenience. If I were worried about security it could be wired to a ignition circuit wire so it would only open when the bike is running.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 03-19-2014 at 01:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Interesting. Let us know how the installation goes and how it works.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bluestratos;777289]Here is a pic of the power door lock actuator I bought open my frunk on the 14 RTSE6. This and the switch cost me $12 from Amazon. The actuator mounting matches the look and the bolt pattern of the stock set up. No complicated wiring is required since it only needs to be powered to operate in one direction. It is gear driven so ample power to push the release arm to pop the trunk. I plan to install the momentary contact switch to operate it in a discrete location and have it powered all the time for convenience. If I were worried about security it could be wired to a ignition circuit wire so it would only open when the bike it running.

Excellent ! Thanks for your post. Just what I was looking for.

George.

Spyder Garage

Might give that PTT button something to do (unless you have the BRP communication system)!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a website link?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here is the amazon location for the kit:

Install Essentials 524T 2 Wire Standard Door Lock Actuator Kit
    Sold by Amazon.com LLC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool; Thanks!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That sure looks like a knock off of the OEM unit, which I bought for $55. Wish I would have known this one existed. If you haven't already I suggest you go ahead and buy the OEM bracket for about $7. It simplifies the installation greatly.

I take it the '14 LTD doesn't come with an actuator. If you can find a part number for the hood opener switch that used to be, or maybe still is, available a simple wiring change under the center switch group will allow the switch to be added there. Or are all four switch positions being used? Another option, for like about $55 is to buy the combo parking brake/hood switch and plug it right in. The business end of the harness for the actuator should be right under the lights near the hood latch.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Might give that PTT button something to do (unless you have the BRP communication system)!!
    Good thought, just won't work. Most, if not all, the buttons on the left multi-switch cluster communicate with the rest of the bike over 2 wires using the CAN system. There's no practical, maybe not even possible, way to use the PTT as a regular push button switch. The left multi-cluster switch is its own little processor! The right hand switch feeds into the left switch.

I'll bet the Spyder is more computerized than you realized!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is...

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Goto EBAY those are $5-$10 free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-PO...9e5a24&vxp=mtr

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

My frunk doesn't have a spring to pop it up - I twist the ignition & have to reach forward to lift the lid up (not a problem with my long arms). So I don't see an advantage?? Am I missing something?
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-27-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUT ON THE RT SERIES

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The springs weren't originally present. I Don't remember the exact year but its fairly recent. The OEM springs are only a few bucks right from the dealer.
    I did that on my GS and RSS.................But for my 2014 RT I just put two pieces of stiff foam alongside the catch and it pops up every time ........just sayin, Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike - I'll give that a try.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default great idea

I'm always afraid I will break the key off in the ignition and this sounds like a good idea whether its switched or always on demand. Does one then disconnect the cable that runs to the ignition switch? will the actuator arm return automatically once the trunk latch has opened/, where can I find a waterproof ON momentary OFF switch? I am sure I can eventually figure it all out, but I'd rather not invent the wheel if some good samaritan will share the specifics.
    Thanks
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Default THIS IS WHAT MIGHT BREAK YOUR KEY

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    I'm always afraid I will break the key off in the ignition and this sounds like a good idea whether its switched or always on demand. Does one then disconnect the cable that runs to the ignition switch? will the actuator arm return automatically once the trunk latch has opened/, where can I find a waterproof ON momentary OFF switch? I am sure I can eventually figure it all out, but I'd rather not invent the wheel if some good samaritan will share the specifics.
    Thanks
    Andy
    ....Andy, I don't know if you ever saw my Post about " Breaking the Key while releasing the SEAT LOCK "...........This is where you are more likely to break the KEY.....What I did was to partially open the seat lock by using wire on the SEAT LATCH to hold it 90 % open ....ALL the time ......Yes, it no longer LOCKS ,I just pull up on the seat in the front to open it ......I no longer have to use the IGNITION KEY...........I bought the wire at Home Depot, it's called Galvanized Steel wire 16 Ga., it's made for twist ties , it doesn't break like copper wire .....................IMHO the amount of pressure needed to open the seat is more likely to break the KEY than that of the FRUNK ....at least on my RT.......................Mike

Spyder Garage

Does one then disconnect the cable that runs to the ignition switch?
    No.

will the actuator arm return automatically once the trunk latch has opened/,
    Yes. It releases the latch and then returns to home position. It's really not an arm. It's a plunger.

where can I find a waterproof ON momentary OFF switch? I am sure I can eventually figure it all out, but I'd rather not invent the wheel if some good samaritan will share the specifics.
    NAPA has one, but it's big. Your best bet is to just search Google or Amazon and look for a weatherproof push button switch. I bought a weatherproof toggle from some online marine supplier.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Default frun opener

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    No.

Yes. It releases the latch and then returns to home position. It's really not an arm. It's a plunger.

NAPA has one, but it's big. Your best bet is to just search Google or Amazon and look for a weatherproof push button switch. I bought a weatherproof toggle from some online marine supplier.
    got these from DEl City, it is an OFF momentary ON switch and they can be fitted with a waterproof rubber cover.

7100011 SPST (ON)-OFF Push Button Switch, Round, $3.40 $3.40
    1 7900002 Black Push Button Boot (1 MIN) $2.89 $2.89
    I plan on mounting them somewhere on the left side on the tupperware and switched to the ignition so they will essentially be locked except when the key is turned ON
    Andy
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Default breaking key

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ....Andy, I don't know if you ever saw my Post about " Breaking the Key while releasing the SEAT LOCK "...........This is where you are more likely to break the KEY.....What I did was to partially open the seat lock by using wire on the SEAT LATCH to hold it 90 % open ....ALL the time ......Yes, it no longer LOCKS ,I just pull up on the seat in the front to open it ......I no longer have to use the IGNITION KEY...........I bought the wire at Home Depot, it's called Galvanized Steel wire 16 Ga., it's made for twist ties , it doesn't break like copper wire .....................IMHO the amount of pressure needed to open the seat is more likely to break the KEY than that of the FRUNK ....at least on my RT.......................Mike
    Hi Mike,
    thanks for the heads up on thiss. I wonder if using a softer spring might solve this problem. I hate not to lock the seat since I have put my fuse holder for all the farkles, the auxiliary relay for the farkles and the positive and negative auxiliary distribution panels under the seat. I can just see some 13 yo mischievious kid with a screwdriver seeing what he can do under there. I have to quit working on the Spyder and devote my attention to the boat if I am going to take it to Florida for the winter.
    Andy
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Default LATCH SPRING

Hi Mike,
    thanks for the heads up on thiss. I wonder if using a softer spring might solve this problem. I hate not to lock the seat since I have put my fuse holder for all the farkles, the auxiliary relay for the farkles and the positive and negative auxiliary distribution panels under the seat. I can just see some 13 yo mischievious kid with a screwdriver seeing what he can do under there. I have to quit working on the Spyder and devote my attention to the boat if I am going to take it to Florida for the winter.
    Andy
    .........Andy you could be right on the spring pressure......I didn't want to dis-assemble it.........I chose the simple way for my purposes...............IMHO tho I think it may be the length and routing of the cable............................I got your very interesting PM.............small world