Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT Hitch

Spyder Garage

Default RT Hitch

Anybody know of anyone who has any RT Hitch's in stock. I know a couple ebay sellers say there the new one's but if you look close in description they list all hitch #'s

Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

DId you check with Pitbull?

Current Bikes:
    2018 BMW K1600 B
    2012 Spyder RT LTD - Sold
    2003 HD VRSCA (VROD)

Spyder Garage

Default Try here...

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Anybody know of anyone who has any RT Hitch's in stock. I know a couple ebay sellers say there the new one's but if you look close in description they list all hitch #'s

Thanks in advance

Call Bert's Megamall and/or Honda East (both Spyderlovers sponsors) and ask for on-line/ebay sales. Call their parts department and be sure to tell them you're a Spyderlover. They both have good prices. When they give you a price, be sure to ask, "Is that the best you can do?" Last summer Honda East delivered, to my door, a BRP hitch (part # 219400432) for $437.00 for my RT Limited.

Let us know how you make out.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

Thanks for the input.
    Pitbull told me late this month maybe early April .

Spyder Garage

I ordered one early February and was told last week it would be mid April but I found one at a dealer in Nashville and had it shipped.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy too long for a hitch

I ordered my hitch two weeks ago from my dealer in Ocala and they told me yesterday that it would be mid May before we get the hitch. We are planning a long trip in June and that does not give us much time to do some short pre trips to make sure we are prepared. Not real happy about the wait. Will a 2013 hitch fit a 2014?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sassoman View Post
    I ordered my hitch two weeks ago from my dealer in Ocala and they told me yesterday that it would be mid May before we get the hitch. We are planning a long trip in June and that does not give us much time to do some short pre trips to make sure we are prepared. Not real happy about the wait. Will a 2013 hitch fit a 2014?
    Not sure about BRP hitches but the aftermarket hitches sold on Ebay fit all years. I just put one on my '14. Therefore, would expect the BRP hitch to fit all years as well. Mine cost $180 at auction from a place in Greenville SC that sells them; regular price is $249. I got it in about 3 days. If you gotta have one and don't want to wait, you can go this route.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...5ac1ca&vxp=mtr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ulflyer; 03-19-2014 at 06:50 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can-Am says voids warranty

In the Can-Am literature it says that the factory hitch is the only one that does not void the factory warranty. I looked at the aftermarket hitches and did not see a problem with them,but would not want to risk voiding my factory warranty and my extended warranty by installing an aftermarket hitch. It is one of those ,big brother things that they can throw out if you break down somewhere far from home. Oh,you have an aftermarket hitch? Sorry,we can't fix your transmiision that went out because you have that aftermarket hitch on your Spyder. Just saying, it could happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's your piece of mind worth to you?
    Keeping the warranty intact is probably more than worth the couple of hundred-dollar difference.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

the after market hitches install differently than the factory hitch, stay with the factory hitch if possible, I have had both.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's at least three BRP hitches on EBay, that are looking for good homes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    the after market hitches install differently than the factory hitch, stay with the factory hitch if possible, I have had both.

Cruzr Joe
    What do you not like about the after market hitch, the additional work to connect the trailer wiring harness? The local Spyder tech indicated he liked the after market hitch. He didn't have to mess with it all in order to adjust belt tension and alignment. To do that he has to remove the BRP hitch. All he needed extra was an extension to the hex driver to reach the adjusting block screws.

I liked it for the price plus I could put together a wiring harness to connect to my 5 wire trailer.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

In the Can-Am literature it says that the factory hitch is the only one that does not void the factory warranty. I looked at the aftermarket hitches and did not see a problem with them,but would not want to risk voiding my factory warranty and my extended warranty by installing an aftermarket hitch. It is one of those ,big brother things that they can throw out if you break down somewhere far from home. Oh,you have an aftermarket hitch? Sorry,we can't fix your transmiision that went out because you have that aftermarket hitch on your Spyder. Just saying, it could happen.
    Can you provide a specific quote or reference, please? That sounds bogus or is just a scare tactic. From previous discussions here, and with my Honda dealer, warranties are only voided if what you added or changed directly and specifically affects the part that fails. There's no way an after market hitch is going to affect the drive train.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    What do you not like about the after market hitch, the additional work to connect the trailer wiring harness? The local Spyder tech indicated he liked the after market hitch. He didn't have to mess with it all in order to adjust belt tension and alignment. To do that he has to remove the BRP hitch. All he needed extra was an extension to the hex driver to reach the adjusting block screws.

I liked it for the price plus I could put together a wiring harness to connect to my 5 wire trailer.
    It would likely not be possible to adjust or align the belt with the BRP trailer hitch in place...if the axle was properly tightened. The axle nut cannot be reached with the hitch in place covering it. You might be able to loosen the axle from the other side, but it would be difficult to torque back to spec from just one side. If your dealer cut that corner, I'd double check the axle nut torque.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Trailer-Hitch

You might want to read this regarding warranty.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It would likely not be possible to adjust or align the belt with the BRP trailer hitch in place...if the axle was properly tightened. The axle nut cannot be reached with the hitch in place covering it. You might be able to loosen the axle from the other side, but it would be difficult to torque back to spec from just one side. If your dealer cut that corner, I'd double check the axle nut torque.
    He was commenting on the fact I have an after market hitch and that it was easier to adjust the belt than if I had had a BRP hitch.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Warranty issues

The reference is on page 72 of the Can-Am Spyder 2014 riding gear and accesories catalog. Copied from catalog" This is the only hitch that maintains your vehicles warranty ". It is also stated on the website for Can-Am when I was looking for accesories before I bought my RT. I found a dealer in Kalamazoo,Mi. that had three in stock yesterday,now he has two.I cancelled my order with my dealer and ordered one. They are on ebay.

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

One of the reasons I chose Spyder over Tri-Glide is Can Am allowing trailering. I did not want to remove the hitch every time I needed service at a dealer (like my buddies do with their Harley's). I would not risk my warranty and extended warranty for a couple hundred dollars. I can also wait for the part. Hell, I been waiting patiently for the RT as it is.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Call Peacock in Mich. They normally carry on stock . They can also ship it to you.
    Phone number 231-745-4606

Spyder Garage

The reference is on page 72 of the Can-Am Spyder 2014 riding gear and accesories catalog. Copied from catalog" This is the only hitch that maintains your vehicles warranty ". It is also stated on the website for Can-Am when I was looking for accesories before I bought my RT.
    OK, here are pertinent quotes from the Cam Am Warranty in the Owner's Manual

BRP LIMITED WARRANTY — USA AND CANADA: 2013 Can-Am® SPYDER® ROADSTER
    1. SCOPE OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY
    Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. ("BRP")* warrants its 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadsters ("Roadster") sold by authorized Can-Am Roadster Dealers (as defined below) in the fifty United States and in Canada from defects in material or workmanship for the period and under the conditions described below. This limited warranty will become null and void if:

(4) the Roadster has been altered or modified in such a way so as to adversely affect its operation, performance or durability, or has been altered or modified to change its intended use.

3. EXCLUSIONS — ARE NOT WARRANTED
    The following are not warranted under any circumstances:
    Damage resulting from the installation of parts with specifications that differ from the original Roadster parts, such as, without limitation, different tires, exhaust system, wheels or brakes.
    I bolded the pertinent phrases. It is clear from both of these comments that the warranty excludes any damage caused by any non original Roadster, non Can Am part. Simply having the part on the bike will not void the entire warranty. Only the damage caused by a non BRP hitch would not be covered by the warranty. Even the BRP hitch is not an original Roadster part. It is an add-on.

If your engine is damaged by the addition of a fuel mixture management unit, you're screwed. If by chance, you take the cat converter off and the engine is damaged due to nanny having to adjust the fuel/air ratios, you're screwed. If you put non-OEM spec tires on the front, and the different characteristics of the tires cause the DPS to fail, you're screwed. Those may be far fetched scenarios, but you get the idea.

Now tell me, what damage can you conceive of that a non BRP hitch is going to cause? Would BajaRon be selling so many anti-sway bars if the bike warranty was automatically voided by putting one on? I don't think so. Would dealers be so willing to install non-OEM tires if such an installation automatically voided the warranty? I don't think so.

The comments about not voiding warranty in the sales info for the BRP hitch are sales blabber.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Now tell me, what damage can you conceive of that a non BRP hitch is going to cause?
    Your discussion of warranty coverage are accurate. Merely installing a non-approved part will not void warranty coverage in the US, but if that part can be shown to have caused or contributed to a problem necessitating repairs, those repairs may not be covered. I would like to discuss your question above, however. The BRP hitch has a patented/patent applied for shock absorbing system built into it, where aftermarket and home-brewed hitches do not. It is entirely conceivable that the shock absorbing system could prevent damage to the swingarm, rear hub bearings, swingarm bushings/bearings, drivetrain, or to the trailer tongue, hitch or other components. The factory hitch also includes an electrical harness and compatible, isolated 5-to-4 converter module. Direct wiring or substitution of alternate products could cause electrical system damage or blown fuses, especially if done improperly. The BRP system is plug-n-play. Use of an aftermarket trailer or additional trailer lights tied directly into the Spyder lighting could overload the lighting circuits or trigger limp mode. The isolated Spyder system separates the trailer lighting power from the Spyder lighting circuit, so all you do in case of trailer lighting/wiring or module problems is blow a fuse. I am not trying to scare anyone away from going the aftermarket route if they wish, I just want them to be aware of the differences between the Spyder hitch/harness kit and non-factory alternatives and of possible pitfalls in going in another direction. In ways the comparison is apples and oranges...it is not as simple as it seems.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011/...ermarket-parts

...Just saying...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The BRP hitch has a patented/patent applied for shock absorbing system built into it, where aftermarket and home-brewed hitches do not.
    Any info about what this may actually be? From what pictures I've seen I don't see anything different, functionally, from the after market hitch.

The factory hitch also includes an electrical harness and compatible, isolated 5-to-4 converter module. Direct wiring or substitution of alternate products could cause electrical system damage or blown fuses, especially if done improperly. The BRP system is plug-n-play. Use of an aftermarket trailer or additional trailer lights tied directly into the Spyder lighting could overload the lighting circuits or trigger limp mode. The isolated Spyder system separates the trailer lighting power from the Spyder lighting circuit, so all you do in case of trailer lighting/wiring or module problems is blow a fuse.
    I think this may the part why they say "only system that maintains your warranty." Also, all BRP parts are automatically become part of the vehicle warranty when installed by a dealer.

As far as I have seen, there is no after market plug and play trailer harness for the Spyder. That's why I used the BRP Y harness. Your comment about the isolator is why I stress that in my hitch project posting.

Spyder Garage

The BRP product description says it is the only one that maintains the factory warranty. It does not say a non-BRP hitch voids the factory warranty. Of course it maintains the warranty if it is dealer installed. It becomes included in the overall vehicle warranty. Naturally, a non-BRP hitch will not have any BRP warranty.

It's mostly all legalese tongue twisting, IMO.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just ordered my hitch from a dealer on e-bay, $499.99 and free shipping.
    Just did not want to wait on BRP to release any on back order and maybe
    not getting one in time for vacation.
    Toby
    2020 RTL