Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RSS advice needed....

Hi! Great forum here, glad to be aboard!

I'm picking up my 2012 RSS SM5 tomorrow. It has 10k miles and is bone stock. It handles, accelerates, and stops well. It will replace my Suzuki Intruder 1400 with sidecar.
    Is there anything I should be aware or watching for? I have done most of my own repairs, maintenance and tire work for many years. The brake fluid was low, topping it off put the warning message out. No stains or visible leaks could be found.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated..........

Art

Spyder Garage

Default check with a dealer

have a dealer check the vin for any history, updates or recalls. if it shows good, and the bike runs good, it's all good. you are buying
    THE most trouble free spyder. rs/ manual clutch. good for you.
    Last edited by coz; 03-17-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default Advice

10K riding would likely result in brake pad wear sufficient to lower the brake fluid level without any leakage. I would advise checking the brake pads to ensure they still have the material required to stop without causing damage to rotors. pads are cheaper than rotors. Follow the owners manual for instructions as to how to check engine oil level. I check and adjust the air pressure in my tires the first of every month.

Welcome to the community. This forum is loaded with very knowledgeable people more than happy to offer assistance. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

and on the new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Check the rear pads- But my 09 GS has 29,400 miles and they are still like new.
    I would put BajaRons Sway Bar for excellent handling and I,m not sure what shocks it has but you know there are options.
    Use a JASO MA 2 oil for best results in the engine.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    have a dealer check the vin for any history, updates or recalls. if it shows good, and the bike runs good, it's all good. you are buying
    THE most trouble free spyder. rs/ manual clutch. good for you.
    Hey Coz, thanks for the good news! ...........Art

Spyder Garage

I too have an SM5 RS-S and have 14000 miles and next to no wear on my brake pads. I have not had any issues with my spyder except the right front tire had uneven wear. I am getting a laser alignment done this spring and I have been told that will cure the uneven wear issues. Nice choice of rides, and I hope to see you on the road.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yeochief View Post
    10K riding would likely result in brake pad wear sufficient to lower the brake fluid level without any leakage. I would advise checking the brake pads to ensure they still have the material required to stop without causing damage to rotors. pads are cheaper than rotors. Follow the owners manual for instructions as to how to check engine oil level. I check and adjust the air pressure in my tires the first of every month.

Welcome to the community. This forum is loaded with very knowledgeable people more than happy to offer assistance. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.
    Thanks Yeocheif. The fluid displacement by the worn pads is probably all that was wrong. Oil and filter change is at the top of my list. I have an automotive "pancake" lift that fits the sidecar hack perfectly. Gonna be fun figuring out a third ramp for the Spyder.........Art

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Check the rear pads- But my 09 GS has 29,400 miles and they are still like new.
    I would put BajaRons Sway Bar for excellent handling and I,m not sure what shocks it has but you know there are options.
    Use a JASO MA 2 oil for best results in the engine.

Thanks Sarge707. I tried an '09 with 15k miles, the front shocks were noticeably worn out. This bike still seems tight with 10k. The sway bar swap sounds good. What did you have to replace for wearable items in 29k?....Tires, battery?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I too have an SM5 RS-S and have 14000 miles and next to no wear on my brake pads. I have not had any issues with my spyder except the right front tire had uneven wear. I am getting a laser alignment done this spring and I have been told that will cure the uneven wear issues. Nice choice of rides, and I hope to see you on the road.

Just sayin'............
    I'll be lookin' for ya here in sunny FL..........

Spyder Garage

chad and I have the same ride. I've only got 12,500 on mine, but all trouble free!! like it was said before, you've got one of the most trouble free years and models out there. all I can add to this is, "ride safe and ride often!" and most of all have fun!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    chad and I have the same ride. I've only got 12,500 on mine, but all trouble free!! like it was said before, you've got one of the most trouble free years and models out there. all I can add to this is, "ride safe and ride often!" and most of all have fun!!!
    Thanks, Spydaman60! People on this forum are having an incredible time with their "Spyda's". I haven't had so much anticipation since I bought my V-Max 10 years ago! Big day tomorrow!..............Art

Spyder Garage

Best looking paint too.......

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    Best looking paint too.......

Just sayin'............
    got that right bro!!! and by the way queasyrider, what color are you getting?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

got that right bro!!! and by the way queasyrider, what color are you getting?
    Why, the appropriate color for today of course: St. Patrick's Neutron Green! I know, I know, but it grows on ya!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Queasyrider View Post
    Why, the appropriate color for today of course: St. Patrick's Neutron Green! I know, I know, but it grows on ya!
    that was my second choice, but the misses liked the can am red!! so I guess I didn't have any choice. my first choice was the two tone gray! oh well, the red grows on ya too!

Spyder Garage

Brake fluid low will give an error when it needs about a teaspoon of fluid. Brake pads can wear down to a mm before needing changing. That is really thin but there you have it.

Change the oil every 5000 miles, ride it regularly and don't modify the electrics in any way. At least until you learn the proper way to do it-on here.

I am on my second RS and they are rock solid, strong and problem free since the power steering has been fixed. You should have a lot of fun.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

!!

Just remember...........................if you try to jump MORE than 21 buses.................................it won't end well!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Flanker;776912

Just remember...........................if you try to jump MORE than 21 buses.................................it won't end well! [/QUOTE]

It depends on which busese you use. I used Matchbox buses and all went well! Of course, that was also with my R/C Spyder!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ride , you will love it but get to know it , the spyder handles a lot different then a bike even with a side car

What color did you get?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    Congrats on the new ride , you will love it but get to know it , the spyder handles a lot different then a bike even with a side car

What color did you get?
    Hey Billrob, thanks for the congrats! Yes it DOES handle differently but in a good way. The sidecar was a real challenge, right turns were the ones that got your attention. Accellerating and decellerating also caused a pull to the right or left. It was fun at the beginning then it was just a PITA.....
    Neutron Green is the color. So far everyone comments positively without me mentioning it................

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    !!

Just remember...........................if you try to jump MORE than 21 buses.................................it won't end well!
    Thanks Flanker! Were those buses end to end, or side to side??

Spyder Garage

That's great
    Same color as mine the flat green and flat black look great

Enjoy the new ride and be safe

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links