Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default SpyderAttitude Cat Bypass - WE NEED ANOTHER VENDOR

I have now installed my second SypderAttitude cat bypass....Only because there is no other available. I made comments about the poor build quality, low grade materials before, same story this time but WORSE this time the dimensions are messed up to the point it does not fit in the hanger without hitting the frame. Just really poor product. The first one was a bear but this one....

I finally got it installed with lots of rework. At one point I got convinced it could not be this bad and I had messed something up. Reinstalled the factory cat in less than 10 minutes so it was most definitely a dimensional problem.

Its on now, the joints are sealed up if crooked and no leaks. For the price they charge for this, it really should be of FAR better quality. Stainless Steel like the factory exhaust, not thin carbon steel and the person doing the welding really needs to go to trade school, they are just flat out ugly blobbed on welds. Sorry but the truth of this needs to come out and hopefully another vendor can offer a decent product. At least good quality and dimensional control if not cheaper. Sorry to rant on a sponsor vendor, but perhaps they should not be.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default I strongly agree

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I have now installed my second SypderAttitude cat bypass....Only because there is no other available. I made comments about the poor build quality, low grade materials before, same story this time but WORSE this time the dimensions are messed up to the point it does not fit in the hanger without hitting the frame. Just really poor product. The first one was a bear but this one....

I finally got it installed with lots of rework. At one point I got convinced it could not be this bad and I had messed something up. Reinstalled the factory cat in less than 10 minutes so it was most definitely a dimensional problem.

Its on now, the joints are sealed up if crooked and no leaks. For the price they charge for this, it really should be of FAR better quality. Stainless Steel like the factory exhaust, not thin carbon steel and the person doing the welding really needs to go to trade school, they are just flat out ugly blobbed on welds. Sorry but the truth of this needs to come out and hopefully another vendor can offer a decent product. At least good quality and dimensional control if not cheaper. Sorry to rant on a sponsor vendor, but perhaps they should not be.
    and strongly so poor a weld THAT at the y junction you maybe if you lucky have a 1'' exhaust hole ....NO kidding! had to resort to elbow grease and grinder to decently open up to 1 1/2 hole there.
    I read and hear that JT (one of our sponsors) is trying to produce one! JT MACHINE ... I think.
    '' RIDE -WINE - DINE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST DAY- SO MAKE IT COUNT DAILY''
    2013 ram 1500 RT HEMI 405 Hp
    2012 spyder RT + cat-bypass, mod muffler, PCV + auto tune, HID headlight n foggers, seal floorboards, LED's every where, supercharged ..not!
    2012 Fiat c500 conv.

Spyder Garage

I saw the one that Lamont had designed when I was in Daytona for Bike week. I am very impressed in the quality and the sound for sure! Can't wait to get one on my 2014 Spyder RTS!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

​seems like Lamont was in the almost ready to release stages with his stainless steel cat bypass if I'm not mistaken from recent posts.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lamont and Jthornton both are going to be releasing them real soon. I think Lamont has his just about ready and Jthornton has his jig welded up. Soon there will be options and hopefully affordable ones!
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazyspyder View Post
    and strongly so poor a weld THAT at the y junction you maybe if you lucky have a 1'' exhaust hole ....NO kidding! had to resort to elbow grease and grinder to decently open up to 1 1/2 hole there.
    I read and hear that JT (one of our sponsors) is trying to produce one! JT MACHINE ... I think.
    Looks like I need to get busy on this as soon as I get the air filter up and going.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Waiting patiently...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...Waiting patiently...
    I think Lamont has you covered on the 2014.

JT

Spyder Garage

Default Cat by pass

Called pit bull yesterday and parts guy said They should be releasing Lamont's bypass in the next week or so. I put my name on the list and said he would call me when ready. He said they would be priced around $399

Spyder Garage

Are these being produced just for RT's or for the fast Spyders too?

Spyder Garage

I absolutely agree the dimensions and QC is subpar, I got by but it was royal pain to get it mounted and for the $450.00 bills it is a bad deal. this is coming from someone who just got down Installing one on my machine.

Spyder Garage

Been reading alot about the Cat Bypass and just wondering, would this have any affect on the warranty of the Spyder?
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

...Waiting patiently...

, you, waiting patiently

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    Been reading alot about the Cat Bypass and just wondering, would this have any affect on the warranty of the Spyder?
    I would think that if you had a failure related to the catalytic converter you would most definitely void your warranty.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I would think that if you had a failure related to the catalytic converter you would most definitely void your warranty.

What I see w this is that if any problem arises w the engine they could "say" it was caused by the cat removal...then it would be up to the owner to disprove that....I think we know how that would turn out.

Hence my thought of maybe having the dealer install it then perhaps they would be more on your side in a dispute?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    What I see w this is that if any problem arises w the engine they could "say" it was caused by the cat removal...then it would be up to the owner to disprove that....I think we know how that would turn out.

Hence my thought of maybe having the dealer install it then perhaps they would be more on your side in a dispute?

It can be reversed. If you ever had a real engine problem that needed to be covered by warranty, then the first thing you could do is put the cat back on before taking it to the dealer if it is a concern. I cannot imagine how a cat removal could cause any real damage to the engine.

Spyder Garage

Good point, and I agree on it not causing any problems, but they can say anything they want just to not cover something.

Spyder Garage

Good point, and I agree on it not causing any problems, but they can say anything they want just to not cover something.
    I hear you and I know others have the same concern regarding warranty issues. I don't know if I've read on this forum of a true warranty related problem that involved something truly major such as an engine or transmission failure. It seems that most warranty issues are stupid things such as a broken frunk release or other tick-tack type items.

Changes that people make, including the cat removal, silencer or even FI module only make the Spyder better and I would expect that BRP acknowledges that and that is the whole reason why the aftermarket exists. Even BRP endorses the use of the Akrapovic exhausts, so they know that people will be tweaking their bikes.

I would expect that a bolt on item would NOT void the warranty. I would expect that direct mechanical changes such as adding high compression pistons would.

Spyder Garage

Bolt on?

Okay I'm adding a supercharger!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    It can be reversed. If you ever had a real engine problem that needed to be covered by warranty, then the first thing you could do is put the cat back on before taking it to the dealer if it is a concern. I cannot imagine how a cat removal could cause any real damage to the engine.
    Asking the dealer to tamper with an emissions item; is about like asking them to help you rob a bank...
    That can get them in BIG-TIME TRUBBLE!
    And only a real moron would do it for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bolt on?

Okay I'm adding a supercharger!
    Yea!!!! Baby!!!!! Now I can take on that pesky sportbike neighbor of mine. lol
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

About the only way a catalytic converter will damage an engine is if it gets blocked. That happened frequently on the very early model auto cats. I rodded out the cat on my '78 F150. That way it would pass inspection because at the time they only looked at the exhaust system.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cant ever imagine a different muffler presenting any warranty issue....,However, Changing the exhaust takes all of 15 min to do. If your worried about it being a warranty issue swap it back to stock if you ever have to take it in for warranty work.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Asking the dealer to tamper with an emissions item; is about like asking them to help you rob a bank...
    That can get them in BIG-TIME TRUBBLE!
    And only a real moron would do it for you!
    Thats fantasy Bob not reality how many dealers or even cyclists have you ever heard or personally know to be ticketed or arrested for removing or like I say "replacing" a CAT?

Lets look at this realistically...........how many bikes out there have only headers on? MANY MANY MANY 100,000s whats the first thing most twin air cooled guys do when they buy a bike? Change the exhaust.

Now I have seen and even heard of personally only three in my life that even got ticket for excessive noise let alone CAT removal................

I think some of you have a "The sky is falling mentality." when the feds have time to mess with me for replacing my CAT we all have much bigger problems than uncomfortable heat issue with this machine MUCH BIGGER.......