Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2009 RS engine missing out

My engine tends to cough & sputter after the heat bars are up past 4 bars; replaced fuel filter & O2 sensor. Problem still continues even after bike engine has been turned off an hour. Repairman suggests the tank is too full of gas. Any comments?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Plug wires??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default i agree

sounds like it needs plugs and wires. contact baja-ron
    it was fun while it lasted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    sounds like it needs plugs and wires. contact baja-ron
    They insist that chances are it's NOT the plugs or wires.....beginning to think they just don't want to check because they aren't easy to get to.
    And of course, nothing registers on the computer indicating a plug or wire issue...... I'm at the point I don't want to ride it I know it's going to get hot....& that's most of the days here in Texas!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default same

mine did exact the same
    Honda gaskets on Y exhaust pipes done the job.

btw, - how exactly would quantity of gas in tank cause this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The tank is, "too full of gas"???
    Wait... Was he actually serious???
    They're looking to get you out the door with any story possible; find yourself a different dealer!

Spyder Garage

How many Miles- I changed plugs and wires at 18,000 miles on my GS and they are NOT that hard to get to on a RS.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What did you replace yours with?
    I think that the underhood heat just cooks the OEM wires and destroys the shielding.
    I slapped some of BajaRon's finest on, and no problems EVER!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My rs was missing pretty badly at idle once it warmed up, this weekend I changed the plugs and wires and it runs so smooth now the difference is incredible. Comparing the oem wires to bajarons accel wires is like comparing a drinking straw to a garden hose in terms of size. Once all the Tupper ware is out of the way they are really simple to get to, probably 15 minutes max without tupperware.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I guess I should preface that with the fact that I had already taken the air box out, not sure how much harder it would be with the air box still in there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthemojo View Post
    My engine tends to cough & sputter after the heat bars are up past 4 bars; replaced fuel filter & O2 sensor. Problem still continues even after bike engine has been turned off an hour. Repairman suggests the tank is too full of gas. Any comments?
    Sounds like you need to bypass the gas evap. cannister.Do a search on here for the procedure.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msj4848 View Post
    My rs was missing pretty badly at idle once it warmed up, this weekend I changed the plugs and wires and it runs so smooth now the difference is incredible. Comparing the oem wires to bajarons accel wires is like comparing a drinking straw to a garden hose in terms of size. Once all the Tupper ware is out of the way they are really simple to get to, probably 15 minutes max without tupperware.
    Are the accel much superior to the msd, bajaron offers?
    Last edited by gfd1182; 04-13-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthemojo View Post
    They insist that chances are it's NOT the plugs or wires.....beginning to think they just don't want to check because they aren't easy to get to.
    And of course, nothing registers on the computer indicating a plug or wire issue...... I'm at the point I don't want to ride it I know it's going to get hot....& that's most of the days here in Texas!!
    If your plug wires are the ones that were on from new, I would change them and the spark plugs. You cam get them from BajaRon. I would try using high octane gas, 91 to 93 octane. Also check for vacuum leaks. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

What dealership are you going to? I want to make sure and steer clear of them.
    Rick
    New Braunfels, TX
    2009 GS Silver and Black
    Kuryakyn Grips and Risers
    Spyderpops missing air dam
    Spyderpops Air Management system
    Madstad Windshield
    Rivco Floor board and Highway pegs

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gfd1182 View Post
    Are the accel much superior to the mad, bajaron offers?

I've never used the msd so no personal experience, but I figured for 7 bucks I would get the best. Here's a chunk of a post from bajaron.

I carry 2 wires set versions, MSD (RED) and Accel (Black). They are of similar construction using the same process to get spark from the coil to your Spark Plug (Low resistance Spiral Wound Copper Alloy Wire instead of the OEM High resistance Carbon Impregnated Core). The Accel wire is thicker (8.8mm to 8.5mm and the Accel outer skin is more heat and cut resistant than the MSD wire). However, both will perform very will on your Spyder.

I think the accel wires greater heat resistance is what convinced me, what with all the fun people have with heat build up "under her skirt"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by msj4848 View Post
    I've never used the msd so no personal experience, but I figured for 7 bucks I would get the best. Here's a chunk of a post from bajaron.

I carry 2 wires set versions, MSD (RED) and Accel (Black). They are of similar construction using the same process to get spark from the coil to your Spark Plug (Low resistance Spiral Wound Copper Alloy Wire instead of the OEM High resistance Carbon Impregnated Core). The Accel wire is thicker (8.8mm to 8.5mm and the Accel outer skin is more heat and cut resistant than the MSD wire). However, both will perform very will on your Spyder.

I think the accel wires greater heat resistance is what convinced me, what with all the fun people have with heat build up "under her skirt"

I wud agree to that.
    thx for the input..
    how does the new wires/plugs feel from stock?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also installed JT's air cleaner kit when I did the plugs and wires so I'm not sure how much awesomeness I can attribute to each upgrade, but my bike has never ran this good in the last 12k miles!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There was a service bulletin some years ago that called for adding an additional ground wire for the ignition coil, can't hurt to pull your oil panel and verify that it was installed.