Spyder Garage

Default New Battery for my 09 SE5

My Spyder went into service on Jan of 09 and last week the battery died. 12K miles and lots of downtime while we bought and sold houses and moved. I can't complain about 5 yrs +. My choices for battery weren't real great on a Sunday morning. I searched the web a bit and decided to take a chance on a 2 yr unit from Batteries Plus. I walked in the local store and they have the Odyssey on the shelf! About $15 more than mail order so I decided that was close enough and took one home and charged it up a few hours. Takes a bit of tweaking to get the cables connected but I'm up and running with one of the best batteries in place.

If you're near one of those stores you might check it out I'm happy.

Spyder Garage

Default i agree

that's the best deal going, that i've heard of. not too many spyder batteries with a two year warranty out there.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default 09 SM5 Battery

I also ride a 2009 and the battery gave it up on my last ride fall. Parked for the Winter but with Spring right around the corner here in Canada, I planned on a new Odyssey. I've read that because the bolt downs sat differently, and they aren't the exact same size, it is a <very> tough fit. What size/model did you buy and how did you overcome the fit challenges?

Your insight is appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    that's the best deal going, that i've heard of. not too many spyder batteries with a two year warranty out there.
    I hear the new motobatt batteries come with a catch can to catch all the leaking battery acid.....lol

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I almost got lost in your mall !

Quote Originally Posted by MotoSpyder2 View Post
    I also ride a 2009 and the battery gave it up on my last ride fall. Parked for the Winter but with Spring right around the corner here in Canada, I planned on a new Odyssey. I've read that because the bolt downs sat differently, and they aren't the exact same size, it is a <very> tough fit. What size/model did you buy and how did you overcome the fit challenges?

Your insight is appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default bad memories

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I hear the new motobatt batteries come with a catch can to catch all the leaking battery acid.....lol

i was not trying to re-live bad memories, or bore people with my leaking motobatt stories. but since you brought it up....
    just go to batteries + . i will in the future.

Spyder Garage

Default 1 yr vs 2 yrs

my '09's battery crapped out last year in April (2013)... i went to BATTERIES PLUS, and they only had on hand a 1 yr replacement battery... so that's what i bought... that battery died in June... i went back to BATTERIES PLUS, and sure enough, the battery was defective... they gave me a new battery, and they gave me the 2 yr. battery for no extra charge... the young man said it was for the inconvenience of a faulty battery.... whenever i need another battery for anything, it's back to BATTERIES PLUS for me...
    great business to deal with....

Spyder Garage

Default that's good to here

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    my '09's battery crapped out last year in April (2013)... i went to BATTERIES PLUS, and they only had on hand a 1 yr replacement battery... so that's what i bought... that battery died in June... i went back to BATTERIES PLUS, and sure enough, the battery was defective... they gave me a new battery, and they gave me the 2 yr. battery for no extra charge... the young man said it was for the inconvenience of a faulty battery.... whenever i need another battery for anything, it's back to BATTERIES PLUS for me...
    great business to deal with....
    that is a stand up company.

Spyder Garage

I just got an Odyssey PC680 for my wife's 09 GS. It is just a tad smaller then the oe battery but much more starting power. Picked it up for $107 on Ebay. Just need to wait until we get the bike out of storage to put it in. Her battery wasn't dead but we decided that it probably was not long for this world and the last thing we need is for it to crap out on a trip. We had that happen with my Valkyrie in Nashville and it was an expensive fix with the cab rides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    i was not trying to re-live bad memories, or bore people with my leaking motobatt stories. but since you brought it up....
    just go to batteries + . i will in the future.
    Drip drip drip...ugh!

Spyder Garage

Default PC680

I got the PC680. It comes with 2 angled brackets that I attached to the battery. Then I had to bend the '+' cable end to line up against the bracket properly. The '-' cable didn't need mods. The unit is a bit smaller than the OEM but the rubber strap seems to hold just fine. If I had thought that there would be interest, I'd have taken a pic or 2. Right now I'm not very up for re-opening the bodywork just for a pic. Maybe after our giant garage sale this weekend.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post
    I got the PC680. It comes with 2 angled brackets that I attached to the battery. Then I had to bend the '+' cable end to line up against the bracket properly. The '-' cable didn't need mods. The unit is a bit smaller than the OEM but the rubber strap seems to hold just fine. If I had thought that there would be interest, I'd have taken a pic or 2. Right now I'm not very up for re-opening the bodywork just for a pic. Maybe after our giant garage sale this weekend.
    I have the PC680 on my '08. I had to use the two angled brackets on the positive terminal so I didn't have to bend the terminal end of the cable.

As a side note, I did some checking and did purchase the charger/tender specific to the PC680. There was a thread I posted a few years ago as to the reason why.