Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Air Filter

Spyder Garage

Default New Air Filter

I finally found enough of my garage floor(I put away and cleaned for 4 hours this morning) to work on my Spyder today. Task #1 remove the air box... done. Task #2 get the length of the breather hose needed... done. This is the prototype in the photo. Doc Riverside's friend Don has his Spyder all apart for chroming and could not wait for the production air filters so he is getting the prototype. Doc Riverside had a lot of input into the design of the filter to make it very easy to change and other ideas he had to make it the best one you can get. I'm so excited and can't wait to get them in stock. I guess I have to park my Spyder until I get them in stock... cause I'm not putting the air box back in. I could not believe how hard it was to get the factory filter out... what were they thinking?

CF-140-01.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

Did you take out the resonator too? Or just the air box? I have my wife's apart as I took the handle bars ad windshield bracket off to get black powder coated. The air box looks easy compared to the resonator...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Do I take it that this is not the KewlMetal one, but one designed by Doc Riverside?
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm pretty sure he is making this one himself and Doc had a hand in the design of it. There are quite a few people on his list to get one of these units when they are available and if I got my request in fast enough I should be close to the top of that list. Waiting for them to become available.................
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Did you take out the resonator too? Or just the air box? I have my wife's apart as I took the handle bars ad windshield bracket off to get black powder coated. The air box looks easy compared to the resonator...
    Yes, I removed the resonator and it is easier than the air box. Cut the tie wrap that holds the air filter hose on the resonator. Take the bolts out of the left brace that goes front to back, take apart the three big wire plugs, remove the one bolt that holds it in place. Push the bar down a bit and pull the resonator out.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Do I take it that this is not the KewlMetal one, but one designed by Doc Riverside?
    It is JT's design with lots of input from Doc Riverside. Funny all this was hatched in Lamont's front yard at the BBQ... neither me or Doc felt good that day but made a connection and sparked some ideas and a friendship.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I'm pretty sure he is making this one himself and Doc had a hand in the design of it. There are quite a few people on his list to get one of these units when they are available and if I got my request in fast enough I should be close to the top of that list. Waiting for them to become available.................
    Yep, you got it correct.

I don't see your handle on the list but I added it... if you get a chance PM me your email and I'll send you an email as soon as I get my hands on the first batch. They are being produced in my friends machine shop (he has a much bigger shop than mine) as we speak and as soon as he gets the first batch done there off to get anodized.

JT

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have heard the Kewlmetal air cleaners caused a louder engine noise...How is this one going to be in that regard?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    I have heard the Kewlmetal air cleaners caused a louder engine noise...How is this one going to be in that regard?
    I've not had the opportunity to compare them side by side so I can't comment on that. I can say that removing the air box and resonator greatly improves the heat issue on the seat and glove box area due to greater air flow around the engine.

JT

Doc - Riverside

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    During normal throttle there is a mellow sound. When you jump on the throttle you get a deep throaty sound until you get up to a steady speed then the sound returns to normal.

The biggest improvement you will see is you are no longer sitting on a Barbeque Grill.
    Last edited by Doc - Riverside; 03-03-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

What is the effect on the engine not having the resonator in place?

And what are your thoughts on not pulling in cool air but rather warm/hot air in the intake?

Dont get me wrong, I'm interested in one too.
    Last edited by SNOOPY; 03-03-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    What is the effect on the engine not having the resonator in place?

And what are your thoughts on not pulling in cool air but rather warm/hot air in the intake?

Dont get me wrong, I'm interested in one too.
    My SWAG is the air box was very hot so the air going through there was heated too, how much I don't know. I feel with the open air flow after removing the air box and resonator the air temperature could be lower than the air going through the air box. This is all just my SWAG.

JT

Spyder Garage

I wonder if when all the extra plastic and tubing is removed, if an simple cool air intake tube can be fashioned to "help" direct fresh air toward the new filter.

Would be a nice addition to a new production air filter, just saying. Lol

Spyder Garage

How many miles on that Pyder? I'm not sure mine was that clean out of the crate!
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Arrow

I wonder if when all the extra plastic and tubing is removed, if an simple cool air intake tube can be fashioned to "help" direct fresh air toward the new filter.

I wonder if the air going into the engine will in fact be cooler than what the temp sensor is telling the ECM it is without a intake tube? Cooler air at the intake than what the ECM is being signaled exsists. May or may not be a big thing

All that aside. If it aids in a cooler ride for the operator and does no harm to the spyder(which I'm convinced it will not). It's a win win to me.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-03-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

My concern is pulling in hotter air will give worse engine performance, I know on a car cool air is king in an intake.

Spyder Garage

Default i wonder

i really don't know what the air box looks like but if you could cut the air pipe feeding the air box and leave it in place, and than remove the rest of the box would that feed air to the new filter.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pandy View Post
    How many miles on that Pyder? I'm not sure mine was that clean out of the crate!
    Patrick
    Can't be asking about my Spyder I live on a dirt road so you can image the shape it's in...

JT

Spyder Garage

That might be possible, I'll have to look into it. I know WackyDan wants to do that too.

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i really don't know what the air box looks like but if you could cut the air pipe feeding the air box and leave it in place, and than remove the rest of the box would that feed air to the new filter.
    I was thinking that 2, but like you, I have no idea what any of this looks like inside. lol

Spyder Garage

Arrow

My concern is pulling in hotter air will give worse engine performance, I know on a car cool air is king in an intake.
    Agree. Just not sure whether the air (with all that plastic removed) will be any warmer/cooler than what the temp sensor to the ECM is reading. That said, more air can't hurt as long as it enters and vents/escapes DOWN as opposed to out the seat cracks.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

One thing I guess to keep in mind is how often the engine compartment air is "turned" over, not like the air will just be sitting there long enough to get really hot like it may be now?

Do we know what CFM the throttle bodies are on a Spyder, that figured in may help...not that we know how much it's pulling at idle or low speeds though?

Spyder Garage

I was thinking that 2, but like you, I have no idea what any of this looks like inside. lol
    This is the air box, filter, and resonator that I took out of my RT.

airbox.jpg

JT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    This is the air box, filter, and resonator that I took out of my RT.

airbox.jpg

JT

Is that the same on an ST?

That looks like 20 lbs of plastic!!!

Spyder Garage

Haven't some guys installed fans to help pull air when stopped are moving slow in traffic as they tend to overheat if sitting to long. Gets mighty warm here in the desert.