Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment well worth the time

I just got back from Lamont and Harvey doing alignments in Birmingham Alabama. I had 10,600 miles on my 2012 RTS (my second Spyder) and felt it was set up correctly from the factory. I did a 6,300 mile trip this summer and was really happy with the way the bike preformed. I can say with out a doubt I would have enjoyed the trip much more if I had the alignment done before the trip. The steering sensor was off a good bit. The tires were fairly close. The difference is significant. If you have the chance to have a laser alignment I would highly recommend you have it done.

THANKS Lamont!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Glider3J View Post
    I just got back from Lamont and Harvey doing alignments in Birmingham Alabama. I had 10,600 miles on my 2012 RTS (my second Spyder) and felt it was set up correctly from the factory. I did a 6,300 mile trip this summer and was really happy with the way the bike preformed. I can say with out a doubt I would have enjoyed the trip much more if I had the alignment done before the trip. The steering sensor was off a good bit. The tires were fairly close. The difference is significant. If you have the chance to have a laser alignment I would highly recommend you have it done.

THANKS Lamont!!
    Without a doubt, it is the REAL Deal. My 2010 is solid as a rock after Lamont took care of it a few months ago.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Glad you liked it Jim, I knew you would. I think we have 24 to do tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment well worth the time

Wish I was there. I'll get mine done soon enough.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Alignment and Heim Joints

I am considering having my still in the box 2014 RT Limited laser aligned. I have noticed some info about replacing Heim Joints? Is this necessary on a 2014? Is it a Must do or nice to do?? I want to get the Spyder right before it leaves the shop, but honestly with the Farkels I "think" I need, the budget is getting real thin. So now I am working on "Prioritization"...

Thoughts??

Spyder Garage

Talk to bajaron. I just received the swaybar and heim links but haven't put them on yet. He was upfront with me with all the questions I had. You can also search the forum and there are some discussions about issues with the OEM links.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Is there anyone who offers the laser alignment in NE Ohio?

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone in Canada that offers Laser Alignment.
    The wife & I are going to attend Spyders In The Redwoods this year, hopefully one of the vendors there will be offering it.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Laser alignment

Has anyone had their laser alignment done at cowtown USA? If so, did they do a good job, and how much did they charge.. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C_Boogie View Post
    Is there anyone who offers the laser alignment in NE Ohio?
    ​Almost. JohnnyK's in Lodi apparently has the Rolo/Outlaw system on order and should be up and running in a couple of weeks. This dealer is where I just bought my '14 RTS and is located at the intersection of I-71 and Ohio Route 83. And they're a Spyderlovers.com sponsor.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just had my 2014 RT Ltd done at Matthews Fun Machines in Matthews, NC.
    My machine had NO toe is (supposed to have 3/4 inch) and was out 1 inch front to back.

Now the heck BRP can ignore this is beyond comprehension. This laser alignment should be either a factory feature, or made a part of the dealer setup.

Fred

Fred
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredace View Post
    I just had my 2014 RT Ltd done at Matthews Fun Machines in Matthews, NC.
    My machine had NO toe is (supposed to have 3/4 inch) and was out 1 inch front to back.

Now the heck BRP can ignore this is beyond comprehension. This laser alignment should be either a factory feature, or made a part of the dealer setup.

Fred
    The factory does laser align them. They use a totally different procedure and equipment however, measure over a shorter distance, and align to the frame and not the rear wheel If the OEM procedure allows 1/8" variance in three feet, that will be over 1/2" as measured by the ROLO procedure. All-wheel alignment is the best and is often used for4 racing purposes, but has never been standard practice for manufacturers in the automotive industry. If you want it for your car, you have always had to pay to have it done separately. I am not a fan of the BRP system or their suspension geometry, but they are doing the job much, much better than they used to, and are not ignoring anything...they are just doing it differently. Just because your machine was not in alignment by the ROLO measurementys does not mean it was out of alignment by BRP specs.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Laser alignment

I believe the Ann and Joe owners of Squared Away Laser Alignment will be at Spyders in The Redwoods. Check with them. They are out of Las Vegas.

Spyder Garage

Are you saying BRP has different specs or higher tolerance ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Are you saying BRP has different specs or higher tolerance ?
    It is apples and oranges. BRP has a completely different procedure, different reference points, and different equipment. Their specs and tolerances are correct for their methods, the ROLO specs and tolerances apply to only the ROLO procedures and equipment. You can't directly compare the numbers.

If you were to shine a laser on a target 10 feet away, and that laser had an accuracy of +/- 1/10" in ten feet, then for a target 100 feet away it might be off as much as an inch. At 100 yards it could be within tolerances and be off by 3". Same tolerances, same equipment, just a matter of the distance to the target. This is much the same thing, but is complicated further by using different axes for the centerline. There are valid reasons for BRP to do it the way they do it. If you want something more precise, done after assembly with the Spyder on the ground, or that takes all wheels into account, then you need to use the aftermarket.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Well Hell View Post
    I believe the Ann and Joe owners of Squared Away Laser Alignment will be at Spyders in The Redwoods. Check with them. They are out of Las Vegas.
    Thanks!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac