Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Spyder RS - ST Handlebar Swap

This swap will require a moderate mechanical ability. If your handy and have worked on motorcycles and/or cars you can handle this mod. The follow are the tools that you will need.
    1. 10mm socket
    2. 8mm socket
    3. 7mm allen wrench
    4. 5mm allen wrench
    5. 3mm allen wrench
    6. T-27 torx bit
    7. straight screwdriver

First use the T-27 torx bit to remove the upper plastic body panel that covers the "backbone" and the side panel (where your knees would be).
    image.jpg

Next use the 3mm Allen wrench to remove the black plastic covers on the underside of the handlebars. This will allow access to the 5mm Allen bolts to remove the actual handlebars.
    image.jpg

After you have unbolted the handlebars with grips, throttle and (sm5) clutch still attached you can now remove the (4) 7mm bolts that hold the center piece of the handlebars on.
    image.jpg

After you have removed the 4 bolts now turn the center piece over. Unplug the ignition switch by removing the rubber boot. The plug has (3) spot to squeeze to pull it off. There are (2) 8mm bolts that hold the black plastic piece that surrounds the ignition switch, remove them now.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Now there are (2) 10mm bolts that bolt the ignition switch to the center handlebar piece, remove them. After the bolts are out push the ignition switch through the hole so that you can grab the black plastic trim ring for the ignition switch. once you grab the trim ring turn it counter clockwise and pull. Now the ignition switch will be separated from the center piece.

Tug on the wires to the throttle and controls to find the wire ties on the right side (above engine) that are holding the wiring harness down. Cut the (2) wire ties so that you have mor play in the wires. You are now ready to reassemble using the Spyder ST center piece.
    Last edited by hchays; 02-26-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default great write up

great write up hubie. love the black bars. they look excellent.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    great write up hubie. love the black bars. they look excellent.
    Thanks, I like the look too. I finally got the pictures to upload to the thread. However it would only let me put up to 5 pictures on it. It's a pretty easy mod if you have much mechanical ability. There are only a couple of things that I stumbled across that would hold a person up from doing the mod. They both have to do with the ignition switch (I created a step for the ignition switch). I hope everyone enjoys the thread.

Spyder Garage

I have sm5. Will there be a problem with clutch and the cable length

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    I have sm5. Will there be a problem with clutch and the cable length
    I also have a SM5 and I had no issue with wires or clutch hydrolic line. Everything fits like it was designed to have the ST bars from the factory. The most difficult thing about the install was putting the left side plastic cover ( goes on the underside of the handlebar) back on. It wasn't bad just a tight fit, but that was the worst thing. From start to finish (even taking pictures) the whole job took me about 2 hours.

Spyder Garage

[QUE=hchays;766783]info also have a SM5 and I had no issue with wires or clutch hydrolic line. Everything fits like it was designed to have the ST bars from the factory. The most difficult thing about the install was putting the left side plastic cover ( goes on the underside of the handlebar) back on. It wasn't bad just a tight fit, but that was the worst thing. From start to finish (even taking pictures) the whole job took me about 2 hours.[/QUOTE]

Have you driven yet? How is the comfort compared to regular bars.
    Thanks for all the Info

Spyder Garage

I have only taken a very short ride, but the comfort is much better. It gives me a much more upright riding position which relieves a lot of stress on my back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    I have only taken a very short ride, but the comfort is much better. It gives me a much more upright riding position which relieves a lot of stress on my back.

That's what i'm talking about!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I went for a nice ride today. The handlebars work perfectly! I have no back or shoulder pain, now I am waiting on my Russell Day Long seat to be shipped next week. If your thinking of doing this swap, DO IT!

Spyder Garage

Default bars look excellent

saw the handlebars today, they look great, as if they were installed at the factory. the black is very sharp.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

I've got about 1000 miles on the handlebar swap now and still loving it!!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for this thread! My dealer did the swap this week and I pick up my bike tomorrow! Can't wait to try it out!!
    2013 Silver RS SE5
    Mods: 23 in windshield, Zumo 660 and mount, 2go cup holder, BRP comfort seat, throttle lock, alignment, RS-ST handlebar swap
    2700 miles and loving every minute!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Guesswho View Post
    Thank you for this thread! My dealer did the swap this week and I pick up my bike tomorrow! Can't wait to try it out!!
    Im glad to hear you have a dealer that can think outside of the box.

Spyder Garage

Ordered my ST bars and will do the swap this weekend!
    2010 RTS and 2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

Default parts list

Quote Originally Posted by packbuckbrew View Post
    Ordered my ST bars and will do the swap this weekend!
    packbuckbrew-others-Do you have a parts list for this conversion?
    Is it all the ST handle bar parts in the diagram "ST" box from BRP?
    Does any seller sell it as a package?
    Best place to buy? Forum supporting venders?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mudcruiserman View Post
    packbuckbrew-others-Do you have a parts list for this conversion?
    Is it all the ST handle bar parts in the diagram "ST" box from BRP?
    Does any seller sell it as a package?
    Best place to buy? Forum supporting venders?
    Thanks

You'll need to order the following parts from a BRP dealer.

(1) #115 comes in black or silver
    (1) #94
    (1) #95 SM5, #92 SE5
    (2)#4
    (4)#5 if you want to put new mounting bolts.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile RS To ST Handelbar swap

Thanks for the handlebar swap info , I ordered mine today from my dealer and the part manager was surprised that the ST would fit, I've also ordered floor boards fro ISCI, I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again

Spyder Garage

Cool, good luck!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RS to ST Spyder handelbar swap

Just finished replacing 2013 OME RS handlebar's w/ ST bars, everything fit good, a couple tips if swapping bars, watch for a 3/16 x 3/4 " +- spring when taking the ignition apart ,--- be careful when taking the trunk & seat cables off from under the bars , maybe ( lubricate a bit before removing especially if you end -up removing them a few times ) --- the left plastic cover that goes under the new ST bars has a split on one side (it is supposed to be there according to my dealer (its not broken)

FYI -- Also finished installing new floor boards , not exactly a great experience , cost more the web site stated, got different design than ordered, two small important screws missing & to top it off they supplied the wrong instructions.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up ST Bars

Thank You!!. Is BRP the only ones that sell the ST Bars? What is the difference between the Stock and the ST Bars. Do bring them closer to you, like the risers?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Thank You!!. Is BRP the only ones that sell the ST Bars? What is the difference between the Stock and the ST Bars. Do bring them closer to you, like the risers?
    The ST bars are stock handlebars from a Spyder ST. So Your Can-Am dealer will be the only place you'll be able to get them. In an above post you
    l see a parts list that you will need to order for the install. I think all the parts total out to right around $200. The ST bars will bring the handlebar position up and back to give you a more upright and comfortable riding position. The really cool thing is, since they are stock Can-Am parts your Spyder still keeps the stock look.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just completed the exchange with no problems. I found you don't have to remove the rubber boot on the ignition switch. Just unbolt it. I agree, the hardest thing was replacing the left hand plastic cover underneath. You also need to order additional Allen screws to hold the new plastic covers on. Great job explaining the replacement process.

Spyder Garage

The ST bars are stock handlebars from a Spyder ST. So Your Can-Am dealer will be the only place you'll be able to get them. In an above post you
    l see a parts list that you will need to order for the install. I think all the parts total out to right around $200. The ST bars will bring the handlebar position up and back to give you a more upright and comfortable riding position. The really cool thing is, since they are stock Can-Am parts your Spyder still keeps the stock look.
    Good morning to you

Do you know if ST bars will fit on a 2012 RSS SE5??? I'd rather go this route than risers...

Thanks in advance,

roller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Good morning to you

Do you know if ST bars will fit on a 2012 RSS SE5??? I'd rather go this route than risers...

Thanks in advance,

roller
    Thinking not. 13 are interchangable. Don't know about the 14

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This swap will require a moderate mechanical ability. If your handy and have worked on motorcycles and/or cars you can handle this mod. The follow are the tools that you will need.
    1. 10mm socket
    2. 8mm socket
    3. 7mm allen wrench
    4. 5mm allen wrench
    5. 3mm allen wrench
    6. T-27 torx bit
    7. straight screwdriver

First use the T-27 torx bit to remove the upper plastic body panel that covers the "backbone" and the side panel (where your knees would be).

Great write up, thanks. I'm getting ready to do this swap... one quick question - why do we need to remove the body panels? Also, is it three total panels to be removed?
    Much appreciated,
    Bodgerist