Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default thinking of getting a 2013 rs need info ---- new to the spyder

well last year i took a test ride on a spyder and went about 80 miles.
    when i got off i was not sure if it was for me but i did like the part of
    being safer. the way the brakes work was great did not have to worry about dumping
    the thing. As for the steering i just started to figure that out on my way back.
    I was holding on to tight and was all over with it. but once i got what i was doing wrong
    that thing was fun. is this just me on my first spin or did other people get off of it with some dought.
    anyway has anybody ever tried to move the foot pegs on the rs ahead some. and up and back
    with the bars alittle. I have heard that people do not really get the ride right till about 1000 miles
    does this seem to right. can't make up my mind if i want to keep my bike or do the trade.
    i know it is what ever you want but are they worth the money.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Rode two wheels most of my life but there came a time when I knew I had to do something or else.Test rode a spyder and just knew that was it.Yeah it took some getting used to but after I purchased one I never looked back. No regrets here!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Love my RS. I moved my grips and pegs. It all took a little time but I love it. It has been four years now and if I can get rid of the 140 inches of snow I'll be back at it...but...more snow coming tonite.

Spyder Garage

Default go for it

Quote Originally Posted by k67 View Post
    well last yyear i took a test ride on a spyder and went about 80 miles.
    being safer. the way the brakes work was great did not have to worry about dumping
    the thing. As for the steering i just started to figure that out on my way back.
    I was holding on to tight and was all over with it. but once i got what i was doing wrong
    that thing was fun. is this just me on my first spin or did other people get off of it with some dought.
    anyway has anybody ever tried to move the foot pegs on the rs ahead some. and up and back
    with the bars alittle. I have heard that people do not really get the ride right till about 1000 miles
    does this seem to right. can't make up my mind if i want to keep my bike or do the trade.

I have a 2013 rs bought last year in june love it.I do ride both had a hard time deciding am older 59 to be exact.Actually drove Norm Robinson for a ride fellow new yorkers fell in love.
    Grip Iis everything light grip. Does take time to adjust.
    Being I dont live far from you when weather brakes you can take mine for a ride. Who knows when that could
    be but welcome.
    GO FOR IT THEY ARE GREAAT!!!!

Spyder Garage

Bought my RSS back in June, have rode some street bikes but came from mainly off road ATV ATC and dirt bikes, this was a very easy transition for me and have not looked back or at any other bike. They handle and turn completely different then a bike but won't take ya long to transition over.

I love my RSS it's quick and just plain fun to ride. Good luck with your choice think you'll be happy with them.

Spyder Garage

Buy the Spyder RS and you will not regret it. I bought my 2013 RS in June and put almost 3000 miles on it. I have added highway pegs so that I have two different foot positions (one for in town, one for highway). I also just replaced the stock handlebars with a the handlebars from a 2013 Spyder ST. The handlebar swap probably moved the bars back 1.5" and up 2.5". They make a great upright riding position.

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Background: Ridden motorbikes 28 years. Got my RS just over a year ago. Bought subject to test ride without having ridden one so took quite a chance.

Flew up to the North Island to pick it up, had a ferry crossing and 350km ride to get back home.

Did 20km before getting on the ferry and was really worried if I'd done the right thing. Made the classic mistake of gripping the bars to much and whole business of steering seemed so unnatural. As did the foot only brake and not putting your feet down to balance the 'bike' when you stop at junctions.

The ride home after the ferry was a revelation. Started off slow and found getting corners hard to get right at first but after a while it all began to make sense. By the time I was half way home I was grinning from ear to ear. Just loved learning how to ride the Spyder, it was like being 17 again and learning to ride a motorbike - and let admit it it's nice to be a younger version of yourself sometimes:-)

A year on and I absolutely love riding the Spyder to the point where I feel that I'll never go back to 2 wheels again, and that's quite a statement.

For the riding position etc I would say don't make any changes at first and give yourself some time to work out what it's like for you. A lot of people say about putting risers on the bars, etc but I've found the standard riding position suited me just fine. I suspect it's more a case of what you've ridden before - I rode 'road bikes' for the most part, I suspect if you've ridden cruisers then you probably would want to move the bars up and back etc. I also suspect the types of journey's you do and the roads you use will make a difference as well - I'm always looking for the twistiest way from one place to another:-)

The only changes I have made are: Sway bar - the one and only change I would say was a requirement not a personal preference, though I think on the 2013 they beefed these up anyway someone with an 2013 will know. Grip puppies as I found the grips a bit uncomfortable for long journeys. A back rest for when my daughters on the back.

Changes I'd still like to make: A hand brake lever, just don't have the same feel with the foot brake. Stickier tire on the back wheel as I tend to slide it a bit, this probably is more to do my riding style:-)

Hope that's of help.

Jos

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    I have a 2013 rs bought last year in june love it.I do ride both had a hard time deciding am older 59 to be exact.Actually drove Norm Robinson for a ride fellow new yorkers fell in love.
    Grip Iis everything light grip. Does take time to adjust.
    Being I dont live far from you when weather brakes you can take mine for a ride. Who knows when that could
    be but welcome.
    GO FOR IT THEY ARE GREAAT!!!!
    Thanks for the offer not just anybody will do that.
    I am 55 myself and this is part of the reason i am thinking of tradeing.My daughter rides
    with me sometimes and i would fell better with her on the back of this than a two wheeler.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Love my RS. I moved my grips and pegs. It all took a little time but I love it. It has been four years now and if I can get rid of the 140 inches of snow I'll be back at it...but...more snow coming tonite.
    they are saying that right now there is not a riser made for the 2013, other than a
    set of rt bars is this right. and also is there a kit to move the pegs and does the brake move to.

Spyder Garage

they are saying that right now there is not a riser made for the 2013, other than a
    set of rt bars is this right. and also is there a kit to move the pegs and does the brake move to.
    The handlebars to use for the swap are from a ST. You can buy the parts new for around $200, which is less then a spacer would be and it keeps the stock look. As for the pegs, I would add highway pegs so that you have options while riding. It really makes it nice to ba able to change foot postion if out on a longer ride. There are a few options on highway pegs, however I fabricated myown as I do on a lot of things.

Spyder Garage

I had 2 wheels for almost 60 years but was starting to feel a bit wobbly & the bikes seemed to get heavier by the day.

My feelings were identical to yours after my first ride. No way was I going to spend that kind of $ on something so difficult to ride.

I had a second test run 3 years later & it was much more positive.

Bought a lightly used '08 GS a year after that.

When I picked it up a few days later I bought a Kewl Metal kit to raise the bars & bring them back. There are several aftermarket kits available for that. I also made some forward foot rests but there are several choices if you purchase. I've been working to make it as comfortable for my old body as I can.

I have the manual gearbox & enjoy changing the gears. The 1 litre V-twin is great. I especially like not falling off as I come to a stop.

I'm very happy now.
    Last edited by oldgoat; 02-28-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    The handlebars to use for the swap are from a ST. You can buy the parts new for around $200, which is less then a spacer would be and it keeps the stock look. As for the pegs, I would add highway pegs so that you have options while riding. It really makes it nice to ba able to change foot postion if out on a longer ride. There are a few options on highway pegs, however I fabricated myown as I do on a lot of things.
    I have heard some things about the spyders over years that they have been out.
    have they got the bugs worked out of them now or are there still some problems.

Spyder Garage

I have heard some things about the spyders over years that they have been out.
    have they got the bugs worked out of them now or are there still some problems.
    They have work most of the bugs out of them now. The 2013 ST's (first year for the ST model) had a heat issue, where it was putting a little extra heat on the legs while riding in 80-90 degree weather. The RS's have been pretty trouble free. I have a 2013 RS and I noticed a little extra heat as well. I fixed mine with some new insulation on the back side of the body panels. The RT's have been fix for the most part from what I know. Of course now we have the new 2014 RT with the new engine, so I guess we'll see how that goes when riding season is in full swing.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello " Thinking of getting an RS"... Welcome to the bunch here,
    That is a hell of a long name you have there I bet it was fun in school, did they call you Think for short??
    All kidding aside, I am 72 have been riding 2 wheels "still do" for 58 years.
    2 years ago I was T-Boned by a drunk driver and was messed up for a while and while I was recovering
    my wife who has logged close to a million miles with me said and I quote you best get something that will
    not tip over if you ever want me to ride with you again, So after thinking about making my GoldWing into a trike
    to much $$$$ I decided on finding a nice used Spyder GS or RS and that is what I bought, after riding it home
    and thinking I made a big mistake I did a little retraining on my part on how to ride and found out it was me not
    the Spyder you MUST NOT try to ride it like a motorcycle it does not work that way. I did find that with some modifications
    it was one fun ride. Here is what I did to my 2008 GS, first thing change the bars I used the HeliBar riser along with the BRP
    1 in. riser made a BIG improvement over stock, then I install Rivco floorboards and Rivco road peg mounts, I extended the brake
    forward with a unit from ISCI and installed the larger brake pedal, I also installed the passenger floorboards from Rivco. the next
    thing that I highly recommend to everyone is the Madstad adjustable windshield, WOW what a difference from anything else out
    there... being able to adjust the shield up-down-forward and back is the best, then I install a full custom Dave's all day seat
    with Comfort Max Gel in the front and back... now it rides fantastic is comfortable for all day 500 mile rides and I would buy another one if I needed to.
    So that is my story and I'm sticking to it....
    Ride Safe
    Dave

well last year i took a test ride on a spyder and went about 80 miles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hello " Thinking of getting an RS"... Welcome to the bunch here,
    That is a hell of a long name you have there I bet it was fun in school, did they call you Think for short??
    All kidding aside, I am 72 have been riding 2 wheels "still do" for 58 years.
    2 years ago I was T-Boned by a drunk driver and was messed up for a while and while I was recovering
    my wife who has logged close to a million miles with me said and I quote you best get something that will
    not tip over if you ever want me to ride with you again, So after thinking about making my GoldWing into a trike
    to much $$$$ I decided on finding a nice used Spyder GS or RS and that is what I bought, after riding it home
    and thinking I made a big mistake I did a little retraining on my part on how to ride and found out it was me not
    the Spyder you MUST NOT try to ride it like a motorcycle it does not work that way. I did find that with some modifications
    it was one fun ride. Here is what I did to my 2008 GS, first thing change the bars I used the HeliBar riser along with the BRP
    1 in. riser made a BIG improvement over stock, then I install Rivco floorboards and Rivco road peg mounts, I extended the brake
    forward with a unit from ISCI and installed the larger brake pedal, I also installed the passenger floorboards from Rivco. the next
    thing that I highly recommend to everyone is the Madstad adjustable windshield, WOW what a difference from anything else out
    there... being able to adjust the shield up-down-forward and back is the best, then I install a full custom Dave's all day seat
    with Comfort Max Gel in the front and back... now it rides fantastic is comfortable for all day 500 mile rides and I would buy another one if I needed to.
    So that is my story and I'm sticking to it....
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    well i guess i am going to get a 2013 RS SE5 . just driving myself nuts thinking about what to do has pushed me over the
    edge. anyway about some accessories, handlebars - relocate footpegs & floorboards and maybe a backrest. the deal with the brake pedal i want to move
    it ahead so you don't get your foot under it. but with the lever you got from ISCI do you put on just a longer lever or do you move the hole
    brake control. why i ask that is because it seems that buy just putting on a longer arm that the ratio will change with the brake and you will
    have to push further on the pedal to get the same stopping power. I am sure there will be more things put on down the road but for
    this year that will be it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

K67 the longer brake arm made by isci is used with their floorboards also you have to cut part of the stock brake pedal off than mount the longer assembly. I love my isci boards and controls also moving the bars closer gives a more relaxed seating position.

Spyder Garage

If you go with the Seal Floorboards then the brake pedal situation changes as it get extended up through the floorboards as can be seen in this photo of the Seal Floorboards on my spyder when it was a 2009 gs/rs se5 before moving them to the 2013 rs sm5. (It is a large photo so will take some time to load.) I use my heal to press on the brake and it works quite well for me.
    2013 Pure Magnesium Spyder RS-SM5 Cal Sci medium clear windshield, R-35 hard sided saddlebags and fitments rack, 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited Embroidered Stock Seat, Trunk opening spring, fire extinguisher, Passenger backrest and rack, Added side mirrors, Handlebar bag.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

k67,
    and
    Now...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    K67 the longer brake arm made by isci is used with their floorboards also you have to cut part of the stock brake pedal off than mount the longer assembly. I love my isci boards and controls also moving the bars closer gives a more relaxed seating position.
    when you extend the brake how much more travel does the
    pedal have over the stock length. I will most likely make my own
    boards -peg extenders and things in that area. that fab stuff
    is for me.
    now for the exhaust i will most likely change that some time
    to a more of a deep tone but not to loud. I have been hearing
    that on the 2013s the converter is in the muffler is this true
    or is it under the bike.
    what is the most popular pipe for this type of tone.
    just would like something that sounds good . Im 55 but
    im not to old yet if you no what i mean.

Spyder Garage

when you extend the brake how much more travel does the
    pedal have over the stock length. I will most likely make my own
    boards -peg extenders and things in that area. that fab stuff
    is for me.
    now for the exhaust i will most likely change that some time
    to a more of a deep tone but not to loud. I have been hearing
    that on the 2013s the converter is in the muffler is this true
    or is it under the bike.
    what is the most popular pipe for this type of tone.
    just would like something that sounds good . Im 55 but
    im not to old yet if you no what i mean.
    The cat converter is separate from the muffler on the 2013 .
    I'm 72 and purchased a 2013 RT Limited in Sept and have 6000 trouble free miles on it and just
    purchased a 2014 RT limited hoping to get my wife into riding.
    I have a Yoshimura 77 on my 2013 and it has a nice deep tone .
    I like it without the baffle for a little louder sound.
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default well it's in the garage 2013 rs

could not hold out any longer. picked it up last sat, 2013 rs se5 in black.
    put 200 miles on over the weekend and loved it.
    this one seems to be much smooooother than the one i tested last year.
    that bike was a few years older too.
    now save for some accessories.

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new addition ,you'll have a blast and even better that it's your own!