Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Stranded on hwy transmission out

Took my first 450 mile round trip to
    Austin, TX. after the dealer fixed my set screw oil leak.

Ride was perfect until about 80 miles into the trip to Austin. I feel the transmission
    slipping mainly in 6th gear. Thought nothing of it. Got about 175 miles into the
    trip, and it slips in every gear and won't go.

Dealership in Austin
    (Woods Fun Center). Yes I am calling them out and I don't care. I called to tell
    them I needed a tow and I had roadside assistance. Well the newbie service rep
    (who is clueless) says NO, my 14 with 190 miles is not covered under roadside.

I let the bike sit on the side of a busy toll road for about an hr trying to figure a way to get the bike to them. Hr passes, and the bike
    magically works like nothing happened. The transmission slips a few more times, but I make it to the dealer. Service Rep says they only have one Spyder tech and
    he is busy. They can't get me in for one week. I explain that I am from out of town andis there anyway the tech can possibly look at it or possibly speak with
    me in person. Rep comes back to me while I am in parts looking at jackets, ectand says, sorry, the tech is busy and can't speak to you. He told me the tech
    said there are always problems with the spyders and its probably the two solenoids in the transmission. Not sure what that means.

The service idiot then finds me in the store a few minutes later and said, Hey someone from BRP tech dept wants to speak with you. So I speak to "Danny" from BRP about my
    issue and he seems concerned, concerned to the point that he is personally flying from Canada tomorrow and will be at my dealer Wednesday morning to look
    at the bike. I was amazed.

I basically left the place pissed off but happy that BRP was there for me. So I decided to drive back home which is 240 miles. I
    get 142 miles into my journey and it starts slipping bad to the point it wont go at all. E light lights up, engine light comes on, and its flashing R and N at
    the same time. Had to coast to a stop nearly getting a$$-packed by road ragingidiots. Oil seemed okay and I saw nothing leaking.

Long story, short,
    $371 tow bill to which BRP paid $200.00. Spyder was towed back to my dealer in town and is sitting in front of the service bay outside. (They are closed Mondays).

More to follow. Also, I bought the first 14 in Midland and I live in San Angelo. San Angelo is where my bike is sitting at waiting to be looked at.

Should I call the dealer who sold me the bike and demand the tow difference? Thoughts on all of this?

UPDATE BRP FINALLY SAID WHAT WAS WRONG (2-27-14)
    Got a call from "Danny"s boss from BRP. He shared what was wrong with my bike and said the problem was a retaining clip that was improperly installed (upside down) on the sylenoid (sp). He said the retaining clip was then put in the proper way and nothing else was damaged or replaced. A software run was conducted and no issues there. He said no parts were damaged either.

He said he wanted to make sure the masses of the 14 Spyder do not have this same issue and so far its isolated too very few. He said other transmission problems that they have seen are not like mine.
    He went onto say that I am covered for 4 years instead of two which I think I already was with the best warranty. He is also asked what I would like to see on a future spyder model? I couldn't even think and said make the backrest standard, lol.

So hopefully no on else has this issue. I feel confident BRP is telling the truth and I am 100% satisfied now. Thank you BRP for making it right! Although French people are hard to understand lol.

And too clarify, the dealer that is reimbursing me is my local dealer, not the one who sold me the bike. Kudos to San Angelo Powersports for going above and beyond, thank you, you have earned my future business.

Last edited by SAPD911; 02-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh crap... That's not good! Be safe waiting for the tow and keep us posted on the outcome.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

wow ... not a good monday morning at all

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear this, Please keep us posted on the cause and fix.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    Traveling to austin woods fun center. Transmission just went out. Slipping real bad. So mad right now. Waiting on a tow. 14 rts.
    As you think back, were their any previous warning signs? Or, did it happen all at once?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Apparently brp doesn't provide roadside assistance. Out $150for the tow. Dealer car look at it till tomorrow. It slipped a little coming up here. Thought it was the cruise. Then it got worse. Reverse works fine. So pissed. 2nd issue with this bike. Just hit 308 miles.

Spyder Garage

Apparently brp doesn't provide roadside assistance. Out $150for the tow. Dealer car look at it till tomorrow. It slipped a little coming up here. Thought it was the cruise. Then it got worse. Reverse works fine. So pissed. 2nd issue with this bike. Just hit 308 miles.
    Roadside assistance is included with your warranty, save your receipt, they should have to reimburse you, not a good way to start the week.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Yes they do provide roadside assistance.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! There's a number to call in your owner's manual packet...
    I believe that they'll re-imburse for up to $200 if you don't use their service.
    Good Luck; please let us know what happens next!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default This SL member also had similar issue...

Thinking this sounds like what happened to bluestratos . ..recommend you check his posts....his dealer and BRP were all over it and he is now a happy '14 owner... Hoping your dealer is one of the "good guys", committed to making happy customers. Keep us posted....please.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default link

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...asted-35-miles

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Thinking this sounds like what happened to bluestratos . ..recommend you check his posts....his dealer and BRP were all over it and he is now a happy '14 owner... Hoping your dealer is one of the "good guys", committed to making happy customers. Keep us posted....please.

Spyder Garage

Traveling to austin woods fun center. Transmission just went out. Slipping real bad. So mad right now. Waiting on a tow. 14 rts.
    I have my card for Emergency Roadside Assistance (Can Am roadsters only) 1-866-477-1415....hope that helps.

Best luck with your RT...keep us updated on what caused it....I have zero miles on mine due to the weather and it's always good to get info. on any issue that comes up.

Hope all turns out fine....
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well for whatever reason it started working properly got it to the dealer. Transmission seems fine. Could it be the drive belt? Dealer is booked today but the may squeeze me in. Will let y'all know.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dealership here in austin can't look at it for one whole week. Figures. Technician won't even speak to me personal said it was possibly solenoid a in the transmission. Gonna get some gear and head back home. Hopefully I make it

Spyder Garage

that is a strange series of events I would put in a call to BRP service and advise them of the problem and get a case started on it.

Then i would tell my dealer how upset i am that they won't take time to check it.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

SORRY TO HEAR THIS. Hope they get it resolved in a timely manner. Not being able to look at a brand-new bike for one week sounds ridiculous.

Spyder Garage

As the owner of a 2013 RTL, I am paying attention to any problems that pop up on the new '14s and how BRP and the dealer network handles them. As much as I enjoy riding my Spyder, I have yet to feel confident in the company and how problems are handled.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Whole new bike with a whole new batch of problems. Things that "come and go" are the worst kind of problems to, would be better off it was broke then at least you would know what the problem is. Now that its working again you'll never know when it will do it again and that the worst kind of fear with a bike.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default Happy 2014 owner

I am one of the new RTLimited owners and am happy to report I hit 2 K miles over the weekend on it and am extremely happy with the performance. Just wanted to let folks know that there may be some issues but not widespread.
    Tim

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Not being able to look at a brand-new bike for one week sounds ridiculous.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Technician did say something about te weather causing the solonoids to not work properly.

Spyder Garage

Technician did say something about te weather causing the solonoids to not work properly.

That sounds like a copout.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Not saying it is right but 'some dealers' may see it as just another bike with a problem. What I wonder is. Would they react the same if it had two wheels?
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 02-24-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revving Tim View Post
    I am one of the new RTLimited owners and am happy to report I hit 2 K miles over the weekend on it and am extremely happy with the performance. Just wanted to let folks know that there may be some issues but not widespread.
    Great to hear that! It's "nice" to get positive feedback as well as the issues we all read about! Thanks for taking time to report success!!!!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac