Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    NO NO NO......
    GO for the Kumho Solus KH16 185/65-14, they have a 100,000 mile wear rating....
    Don't want to start any arguments here, but in your opinion, why not the Yokohama S Drive?

Spyder Garage

I didn't see this posted - why are you looking for bigger/taller tires?

I am guessing you are staying with 14" wheels, just trying to find biggest tires? I don't know if you were looking into trying to mod the bike to go with 15" tires/wheels. If you did this, you could upgrade the brakes to use the bigger (270mm) brake discs.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    Don't want to start any arguments here, but in your opinion, why not the Yokohama S Drive?
    my opinion is based on 20,000 miles of use with the KUMHO's.....
    i've rolled these from SC to UT n back, in all types of road conditions, with ZERO negatives....
    the choice is yours, i'm just try'n 2 give u some info... good luck.... let us know the results of your choice....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post
    I didn't see this posted - why are you looking for bigger/taller tires?

I am guessing you are staying with 14" wheels, just trying to find biggest tires? I don't know if you were looking into trying to mod the bike to go with 15" tires/wheels. If you did this, you could upgrade the brakes to use the bigger (270mm) brake discs.

Jerry
    Not looking to necessarily go bigger. Original post was just wondering what my additional options were since I dont have fenders and without messing up my speedo

Spyder Garage

my opinion is based on 20,000 miles of use with the KUMHO's.....
    i've rolled these from SC to UT n back, in all types of road conditions, with ZERO negatives....
    the choice is yours, i'm just try'n 2 give u some info... good luck.... let us know the results of your choice....
    Well thanks for the input. I know I should not be going by looks but I do really like the S drives. I ultimately want something that isnt going to mess with the speedo. It seems though with any of these options, it wont be a problem?

Spyder Garage

NO NO NO......
    GO for the Kumho Solus KH16 185/65-14, they have a 100,000 mile wear rating....
    Just keep in mind, the longer the tread life, the harder the compound with LESS traction. You've got to make a decision on which you need most, tires that'll roll forever or tires that'll grip in the curves.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

So I have been doing a lot of research on tire sizes that will work with stock fenders. My fenders have been sleeping soundly in the garage for the past 2 yrs with no plan to put them back on. I am not saying I want to go as big as I can since I don't have fenders but what is a smart way to approach this? I am scared of getting into trouble with the nanny too. I have found a few threads that have said that no one has reported issues with going to a bigger size and that going a step or two up will actually make the speedo a bit more accurate? Right now I am looking at the Kumho Ecsta AST (stock size) for the back and Falken Ziex ZE-512 for the front (185/60R14) Thoughts?
    The change in tire size that results in the speedo being more accurate is with the rear tire, not the front. See this thread I started for more information:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ction-Evidence
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default The math was OK, Thanks Bob

Thank-you for recognizing that my math was not at fault. Considering I had an Associates Degree in Mechanical Engineering I'm pretty sure about it. I had done all of that math when I changed brands of tires on my last motorcycle. It turned out that the tire circumference of the new tire was only 2% less than that of the OEM tire, however since this was the rear tire and had to do with the odometer reading I was actually only covering 98 miles when my odometer indicated 100. That meant I was only covering 980 miles for every 1000 indicated or 9800 for every 10,000 miles. The error gets pretty big over long distances.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Just keep in mind, the longer the tread life, the harder the compound with LESS traction. You've got to make a decision on which you need most, tires that'll roll forever or tires that'll grip in the curves.
    Most of my riding is in the mountains, so while I'd love 100,000 miles my priority is gripping the curves. How would I figure out which tires best accomplish that -- any recommendations?
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAYBE NOT

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    Thank-you for recognizing that my math was not at fault. Considering I had an Associates Degree in Mechanical Engineering I'm pretty sure about it. I had done all of that math when I changed brands of tires on my last motorcycle. It turned out that the tire circumference of the new tire was only 2% less than that of the OEM tire, however since this was the rear tire and had to do with the odometer reading I was actually only covering 98 miles when my odometer indicated 100. That meant I was only covering 980 miles for every 1000 indicated or 9800 for every 10,000 miles. The error gets pretty big over long distances.
    Den, if you are using a chart for your calculations that chart leaves out a very important fact..........The real circumference of EVERY size of tire varies from brand to brand. They are all made from different molds to meet the manufacturers tread design......Why is this such a difficult concept to understand ????????? ....Tire a, and tire b, are listed as the same size,,,,,However their circumference is different because they were made by different company's

'

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    Most of my riding is in the mountains, so while I'd love 100,000 miles my priority is gripping the curves. How would I figure out which tires best accomplish that -- any recommendations?
    Since your in the mountains (curves) I too want the handling on the curves and with the responses/recommendations I have seen I will be going with the Kumho Ecsta AST on the rear (stock size) and the Yokohama S Drive on the front 185/55R14

Spyder Garage

www.tirerack.com has some good resources for seeing ratings for various aspects of tire performance and wear. Take a look.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Since your in the mountains (curves) I too want the handling on the curves and with the responses/recommendations I have seen I will be going with the Kumho Ecsta AST on the rear (stock size) and the Yokohama S Drive on the front 185/55R14
    This is a good choice, however it would be my second one. Since my son is in the tire business I can get any tire I want and since I look at info from a different view than the consumer and am only looking at performance. Things I look at are, the ability to displace water. This is important to me cause I have chosen a wider tire for performance (185/60/14 and a wider tire will hydroplane quicker. Next is wet traction, dry traction, and then something that most overlook is the weight of the tire, this affects performance and mpg. Speed rating is not important to me as long as it exceeds 120 mph.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    This is a good choice, however it would be my second one. Since my son is in the tire business I can get any tire I want and since I look at info from a different view than the consumer and am only looking at performance. Things I look at are, the ability to displace water. This is important to me cause I have chosen a wider tire for performance (185/60/14 and a wider tire will hydroplane quicker. Next is wet traction, dry traction, and then something that most overlook is the weight of the tire, this affects performance and mpg. Speed rating is not important to me as long as it exceeds 120 mph.
    So what is your first option? I never ride in the rain unless I get caught in it and in that case I go hide under something

Spyder Garage

Default How do you find your tires and order them?

So what is your first option? I never ride in the rain unless I get caught in it and in that case I go hide under something
    I'm also curious to hear what your first choice would be, but I DO ride in the rain regularly in the spring/summer -- it's Colorado and the mountains... you can expect a rain shower to pass through most afternoons. In the winter there is snow melt runoff going across the roads so they're often wet, and sometimes icy depending on the temperature, steepness of the canyon, side of the road that the river runs, time of day, wind speed...

Separate question: What process do you use to get alternative tires? I went through that list that was posted in a previous post looking for any tires in the right size (for the front) and kept getting "there are no tires available in your size" with all the brands listed in most of the US tire companies (UK seems to have a lot available but I don't feel like paying the exchange rate). I went to all of the companies that people have included as links. Either they didn't have the 165/65r14 available at all or as soon as I put in my zip code they dropped off the list.

I liked the goodyear ultragrip 7 tires but no matter where I searched, kept getting a message saying they weren't available in that size. I haven't made any phone calls yet to see if I can custom order them, is that what needs to happen?. The whole search was a little disheartening. I guess I'm too used to instant shopping gratification with all my other purchases. I make a decision on what product I want, I search for it, it's available at a price I'm willing to pay and I order it. So far I've had no luck with tires...
    Last edited by vondalyn; 02-26-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I use General Altimax HP 185/60r-14 in the front and Toyo Proxes 4 225/50r-15 in the rear

I'm also curious to hear what your first choice would be, but I DO ride in the rain regularly in the spring/summer -- it's Colorado and the mountains... you can expect a rain shower to pass through most afternoons. In the winter there is snow melt runoff going across the roads so they're often wet, and sometimes icy depending on the temperature, steepness of the canyon, side of the road that the river runs, time of day, wind speed...

Separate question: What process do you use to get alternative tires? I went through that list that was posted in a previous post looking for any tires in the right size (for the front) and kept getting "there are no tires available in your size" with all the brands listed in most of the US tire companies (UK seems to have a lot available but I don't feel like paying the exchange rate). I went to all of the companies that people have included as links. Either they didn't have the 165/65r14 available at all or as soon as I put in my zip code they dropped off the list.

I liked the goodyear ultragrip 7 tires but no matter where I searched, kept getting a message saying they weren't available in that size. I haven't made any phone calls yet to see if I can custom order them, is that what needs to happen?. The whole search was a little disheartening. I guess I'm too used to instant shopping gratification with all my other purchases. I make a decision on what product I want, I search for it, it's available at a price I'm willing to pay and I order it. So far I've had no luck with tires...
    175/65r-14 in that tire will work for you, 910 rev/mile.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Ron!
    Have you seen any replacements for the newer 15" fronts yet?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I use General Altimax HP 185/60r-14 in the front and Toyo Proxes 4 225/50r-15 in the rear
    That is EXACTLY what I have also...It rides wonderfully---grips much better in curves, is smoother and I've seen no adverse affects in rain
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default where to go for tire install if dealer won't do it?

so I just checked with my dealership to see if they would install anything other than OEM and they said that they will only install OEM. IF I were to go with the american general HP's (they look good too), where would I go to have them installed? Would other motorcycle shops do it, or do I have to go to a place like discount tires or ???
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

so I just checked with my dealership to see if they would install anything other than OEM and they said that they will only install OEM. IF I were to go with the american general HP's (they look good too), where would I go to have them installed? Would other motorcycle shops do it, or do I have to go to a place like discount tires or ???
    The front wheels shouldn't be a problem if you take the wheels off the Spyder yourself and take them to the tire store. There are a few cars that have 14" wheels, so they should be able to do it. If you can get away with not telling them they're from your Spyder, you'll have better odds at getting them mounted as some car tire stores won't knowingly work on motorcycle wheels. The rear wheel would be hard to do at a car tire store. You'll need a motorcycle dealer or motorcycle tire installer to do it.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

I am running into the same issue. My buddy that works at a motorcycle shop will mount but does not have ability to balance and the last I checked my dealer will not install car tires but will balance them. I checked with Belle tire, discount tire and another local shop and none have the ability to balance. So no clue what I am going to do after they are mounted. Although currently my front tires are not balanced. After I had wheels powder coated the dealer wanted WAY to much just to balance and my buddy from the motorcycle shop said to put them on and see if they even need to be....they didnt! Hopefully I can get lucky with the new tires.

Spyder Garage

You will have to come to spyderquest and we will set you up.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

You will have to come to spyderquest and we will set you up.
    I would love to. I could come see "Krylon" AKA arntufun!

12-15-11 010.jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BALANCING

Although not the most exact way.........the old " Bubble " balancer ( static type ) of days gone will work fine if done even a little carefully......The problem is finding one !!!!!!..............Also check at a Walmart Supercenter .....Cynyspyder had his done there.......Mike ...................PS my rear was not balanced at all and so far I can't tell any difference