Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUDS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BUDS

How expensive is a buds system less computer??

Spyder Garage

Newbie question: What is BUDS?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maxson View Post
    Newbie question: What is BUDS?
    I found this site that explains what and how BUDS works . This site sells them but buyer beware as BRP Buds is only meant for BRP dealers.

http://www.brpdiagnostics.com/buds-how-it-works/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I have been told BRP wont sell you BUDs unless you are a dealer. I believe that is illegal and against fair trade / competition laws in the US but that has been argued before.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

From what I understand--BUDS is for dealers only. There are some available out there, but they may not contain the latest and greatest from BRP. I am guessing that current updates will be the problem unless you are a dealer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is what was sent to me regarding BUDS from BRP.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/images/buds.pdf

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Brpdiagnostics is legit. The only downside I have heard from a few that have it is that they don't get the updates quite as quickly as the dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    This is what was sent to me regarding BUDS from BRP.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/images/buds.pdf
    I still contend that is a illegal policy here in the US. It does not allow 3rd parties to have a business and service the Spyder. This is called unfair competition.

I work for a major company that was class action sued for the same thing. That is, not giving 3rd party service companies the diagnostic software to allow them to service my companies products thus giving the company I work for a monopoly on service. My company lost that class action in 1992 and we had to allow anyone to be able to purchase the diagnostic software to service the products.

So if someone was to fight BRP on this policy I am sure BRP would loose. But who is going to do that? In my companies case it was a 500 million a year revenue stream that was locked out to any competition. Obviously enough to incent a company and lawyers to go after.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I still contend that is a illegal policy here in the US. It does not allow 3rd parties to have a business and service the Spyder. This is called unfair competition.

I work for a major company that was class action sued for the same thing. That is, not giving 3rd party service companies the diagnostic software to allow them to service my companies products thus giving the company I work for a monopoly on service. My company lost that class action in 1992 and we had to allow anyone to be able to purchase the diagnostic software to service the products.

So if someone was to fight BRP on this policy I am sure BRP would loose. But who is going to do that? In my companies case it was a 500 million a year revenue stream that was locked out to any competition. Obviously enough to incent a company and lawyers to go after.

Bob

BRP is canadian based and a lawsuit may have to start there???

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    You may be right but the least the other company could is remove the BRP logos from their software. For sure they own those.

Spyder Garage

Next question. What are the people that are doing Laser alignments that are not BRP dealers doing???

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default buds

Thanks for the input. It's good to get your inputs and points of view. We have some good people out there, Thanks
    Denny

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    BRP is canadian based and a lawsuit may have to start there???

Cruzr Joe
    To sell products in the US requires compliance. So if I wanted to buy BUDs since I am in the US they would have to sell it to me. Other countries, whatever their laws are. My company is world wide so we have to go by laws for a country we sell in.

Just like this law for France, Toubon's law. If you don't translate your UI or documentation to French, you can't sell your product in France or pay the fines!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toubon_Law

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Not Illegal

The software is "Intellectual property" of BRP, and they do not have to sell it. It is very common in the high tech world for diagnostic software to not be sold to the general public, but only authorized dealers and service providers. The company I work for does the same, as does companies such as Kodak, NCR, Pitney Bowes etc. It protects the service revenue, and ensures proper service.

Spyder Garage

Default A word of caution

Quote Originally Posted by ponyexp View Post
    How expensive is a buds system less computer??
    There are not a lot of days that go by without changes here. Even if you purchase you are, practically speaking, instantly out of date.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    Next question. What are the people that are doing Laser alignments that are not BRP dealers doing???

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=finless;761956]To sell products in the US requires compliance. So if I wanted to buy BUDs since I am in the US they would have to sell it to me. Other countries, whatever their laws are. My company is world wide so we have to go by laws for a country we sell in.
    Bob[/QUOTE

Bob:

I think this phrase is key... "Distribution and use of grey market products is in direct violation of intellectual property and copyright laws"

Legally, BRP has the right to protect their copyright everywhere they do business. Perhaps more importantly, BRP has to protect against an unauthorized person using their software to alter a vehicle to make it dangerous or unsafe to ride. I don't know the details of your company's stuff but maybe it wasn't completely proprietary.

Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyman View Post
    The software is "Intellectual property" of BRP, and they do not have to sell it. It is very common in the high tech world for diagnostic software to not be sold to the general public, but only authorized dealers and service providers. The company I work for does the same, as does companies such as Kodak, NCR, Pitney Bowes etc. It protects the service revenue, and ensures proper service.
    And so I work for Xerox. And we got a class action in 1992 from 3rd party service providers, lost it, and now we have to sell our diagnostic software or sell access to it if it is embedded. So there you have it!

"Intellectual property" or not, you cant have a monopoly with it and based on many class actions like it including Kodak for it's service diagnostics, BRP could be forced to do the same. Again though I don't see high priced class action lawyers jumping on this one against BRP.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can buy a GM Tech2 that communicates with older GM cars no problem. The problem starts ~2012 models now everything has to be hooked up to GM's main web portal for any updates. I went through this with my 2012 Terrain . I added factory remote start and it had to be programed. The tech guy at the dealership I worked with let me watch everything and you had to drill down several sub menus to get to where you needed to be. There are so many computer systems on the newer cars and each is ID'ed by Vin as to what is allowed to be updated or changed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"The Federal and Ninth Circuits agree that “intellectual property rights
    do not confer a privilege to violate the antitrust laws.” 40 In Kodak , the Ninth
    Circuit noted that “two principles have emerged regarding the interplay
    between these [antitrust and intellectual property] laws: (1) neither patent nor copyright
    holders are immune from antitrust liability, and (2) patent and copyright holders may refuse to
    sell or license protected work.”41

1 In 1994, Xerox settled an antitrust suit brought against it by a class of ISOs. Under the settlement, Xerox suspended its parts policy for 6 1/2 years and agreed to license its diagnostic software to ISOs for 4 1/2 years.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 02-18-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    If needed, they send you to a dealership for the steering position reset/re-zero.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    If needed, they send you to a dealership for the steering position reset/re-zero.
    It's my understanding that some/many independent laser alignment folks have a "version" of BUDS. It is also my understanding that Lamont has the "real" BUDS that he uses to reset steering sensors following a laser alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    It's my understanding that some/many independent laser alignment folks have a "version" of BUDS. It is also my understanding that Lamont has the "real" BUDS that he uses to reset steering sensors following a laser alignment.
    Just like Microsoft there are always updates to Buds like the recent 2013 ECM update. That said I bet any old version will zero the steering. DPS has not changed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Just like Microsoft there are always updates to Buds like the recent 2013 ECM update. That said I bet any old version will zero the steering. DPS has not changed.
    When I used the term "version" I wasn't referring to an outdated release but rather a non-BRP BUDS. Poor choice of words for sure.