Spyder Garage

Default Questions about bump skid install.

I plan to install a spyderpops bump skid myself on my 2012 RT A/C. I will be using a Craftsman motorcycle lift and jack stands. Where is the best place to position the lift and best position of the jack stands. Two more questions please. Should I use two stands up front and block the rear tire or use all four jacks? I am in fair health at 83 years of age. Should I attempt this or let the dealer do it? This is an amazing site.... Thank you everyone. Art.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did my 2012 last year, the only problem I had was getting the four outside screws to catch the threads. There are ridges on the bottom of the nose on the spyder. Just block the rear wheel and use the jack stands up front. I used car ramps and they were fine as well.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did mine on two car ramps. Installation is straight forward and not too hard to do. I did find it a little easier to warm the ends up with a heat lamp to get it to bend slightly to match the contour of the bottom of the trunk so the bolts would start.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I do..!!

place the lift forward on the center main frame to lift the front end. Place a stand under each front "A" frame. Block rear wheel. Now I found it easier to remove the sub frame that the oem skid plate is attached to. This allows me to work on the installation without laying on the floor looking up in tight quarters. But the installtion following the instructions is quite easy. Good luck you should do fine because wanting to do it yourself is half the job....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I did mine on two car ramps. Installation is straight forward and not too hard to do. I did find it a little easier to warm the ends up with a heat lamp to get it to bend slightly to match the contour of the bottom of the trunk so the bolts would start.
    That's a good idea, I had a hard time and even called Harvey but I didn't think of that. I just kept pushing and trying until I got it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

car ramps are the way to go. Very stable! make sure you chock the rear wheel. The install was pretty easy. getting the first screw in was a little tricky..could have used one extra hand.
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

Did mine on ramps also..Good mod, fairly easy install. Like everyone has said, a couple of the screws are stubborn but not hard to figure out once you're under there.
    2012 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post
    I plan to install a spyderpops bump skid myself on my 2012 RT A/C. I will be using a Craftsman motorcycle lift and jack stands. Where is the best place to position the lift and best position of the jack stands. Two more questions please. Should I use two stands up front and block the rear tire or use all four jacks? I am in fair health at 83 years of age. Should I attempt this or let the dealer do it? This is an amazing site.... Thank you everyone. Art.
    I hope I get to ride as long as you have Mac the Knife!

SpyderLovers Sponsor SPYDERPOPS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I did my 2012 last year, the only problem I had was getting the four outside screws to catch the threads. There are ridges on the bottom of the nose on the spyder. Just block the rear wheel and use the jack stands up front. I used car ramps and they were fine as well.
    We now include two longer screws for the outside holes in the rear of the BumpSkid so it is a lot easier to install.
    Thanks,
    Harvey

Spyder Garage

Default Help

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysevel View Post
    car ramps are the way to go. Very stable! make sure you chock the rear wheel. The install was pretty easy. getting the first screw in was a little tricky..could have used one extra hand.
    If someone would like to help me with mine please feel free to let me know.

Spyder Garage

Car ramps here too. I used the jack up front on the skid after putting the 2 rear bolts on to lift the skid up to mark the holes with a marker to drill. Remove,drill, insert clips and then bolt it back up.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Bumpskid - use car ramps

I had installed a bumpskid on my 2012 RT Limited. Use car ramps...if you need more clearance, jack it up some and place wheel stands (or better yet, boards right on the ramps to elevate it).

I had no problems with the install and the bumpskid saved my RT several times, i.e. roadkill, speedbumps, debri, etc.

I plan on adding one to the 2014 when they're available.

Good luck with your install!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 02-17-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac