Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

BRP = Penny wise & Dollar foolish.

If everyone is serious of thier intentions on this thread on not purchasing a new spyder, it looks like about 5-6 sales may have been lost up to this point. I will research 2 other Reverse trike options before having to settle on another spyder if it comes to that. I have a trouble free 2011 RTL, but the 2014 hits home in the areas I would enjoy with the new engine. This all just gives me a headache.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vidman View Post
    After reading this and the other comments I have put my checkbook back in the drawer. I was about to pull the trigger on a RT S. I had become convinced BRP was more responsive then HD. The 2014 TriGlide was in the race but I have experience with HD so decided on the Spyder.

I know HD customer service. I am now wondering it the "devil you know......"

Waiting to hear BRP response AND True follow thru.
    Just curious - you state your choices were Spyder RT and HD Triglide. That's it? I have a Spyder but would never consider a traditional trike. That being said if I were in the market for a traditional trike the only choice for me would be the Honda Goldwing. As far as reliability is concerned no one else comes close.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    Most of you know my experience with the Spyder brand. I lurked on this forum for over a year before I pulled the trigger on a 2012 RT. It's been well documented on this forum that I've been very happy with my purchase. My dealer has treated me as royalty and I couldn't be happier. After a year of owning my Spyder and lurking again for almost a year on two Triumph forums I added a 2013 Bonneville T100 to my stable. i just need the two wheel thrill while bumming around town.

So where am I going with this?

It is my opinion that the difference between BRP Customer Service and Triumph Customer Service is NIGHT & DAY. I think BRP support to the dealer is the weakest link in the chain. I can't believe some of the things I hear my fellow Spyder pilots go through to get something resolved, if it is resolved at all. Someone at BRP needs to come to grip with the reality that our perception of their product is dictated by the experiences we have and experiences of others we read here. I feel like I've dodged a bullet. For the money I've spent, I'm not a betting man. If something would happen today and I had to replace the Spyder...it wouldn't be with another Spyder. I don't like the odds, with BRP customer service and dealer support, the risk is overwhelming against me.

Just one more thing. I've noticed on this particular thread and some others like it, that most of the "BRP Friendly" advocates are responding with tones of concern and perhaps BRP's behavior is starting to wear thin on them also.
    I believe you hit the nail on the head. I too have a 2012 RT and I believe it to be the most reliable RT of all years produced. It is my second Spyder but I, like you, would not buy another one. I got this one because it is the only thing the wife feels safe on. I've had 2 Yamaha's which were trouble free. My next bike will be a Yamaha FJR 1300.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    As I look into my thinking cap, I predict this thread will be closed soon. .
    Is this forum actively monitored? I am absolutely positive I posted a comment earlier today in this thread about quality, in response to another post about quality control. Both are gone. I don't even find it in my recent messages list. Are comments that are negative toward BRP sometimes deleted? I sure hope not. Censoring can stifle free and open discussions.

EDIT: I think I have my answer. My response was probably in another thread and the entire thread has been deleted.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-17-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Add info
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users Peoriafirefighter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

FB I sure hope BRP stands behind their word. You have been a loyal customer and a good representative by all the long distance riding you and Mark have done. I like my Spyder but after the transmission went out in Albuquerque and I was stranded there two weeks, I will never ride it long distance again. I'll only trailer it to where I want to ride so I can transport it home when it breaks down. I'll be riding my Goldwing Trike on long distance. The Goldwing Trike with the EZ stear handles great. I like the assurance of the Goldwing that it won't fail me. I've had other Gold wing's and rode all over the country on them with never a problem. Plus the Goldwing is just getting broke in at 200,000 miles. Try getting that kind of mileage with a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Just curious - you state your choices were Spyder RT and HD Triglide. That's it? I have a Spyder but would never consider a traditional trike. That being said if I were in the market for a traditional trike the only choice for me would be the Honda Goldwing. As far as reliability is concerned no one else comes close.
    Your opinion is noted. The Honda problem is dealing with warranty issues (if needed). For ME It came down to the trike being manufactured by one company (not a conversion). I have ridden since 1967. I hate that I have to give up 2 wheels. I want to continue the fun and not add any headaches.

I am watching this forum very closely. It is the most positive forum I have read in ANY subject. Most forums are more negative.

I only put the check book back in the drawer. I didn't lock it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Is this forum actively monitored? I am absolutely positive I posted a comment earlier today in this thread about quality, in response to another post about quality control. Both are gone. I don't even find it in my recent messages list. Are comments that are negative toward BRP sometimes deleted? I sure hope not. Censoring can stifle free and open discussions.

Thats my problem w forums that close threads and remove posts.

Sure it's up to the site owners to do what they want, but censorship is no ones friend and drives people away. I've seen it happen on a large scale before.

Spyder Garage

Yup, the quality control post have been deleted...thats too bad. Yours, mine, & FB's. The issues speak for themselves.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Well put! It pays to observe for a while and keep an open mind. Most of us are hoping for a vast improvement in the 2014 model year for the ST as well as the new RT. Time will tell if BRP has done their homework. In the meantime, those with repeated, major issues like FB need to find a resolution that brings their 2013 machines up to the standards set by the rest of the pack. It is the response to the problems, especially for the 2013 RT and ST owners, that will determine how BRP comes out of this in terms of future sales...not the engineering contained in the latest and greatest models. That should be obvious from the comments in this thread. The time for a unified, generous, and overwhelmingly supporting BRP response is now. I hope they choose to rise to the occasion.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your opinion is noted. The Honda problem is dealing with warranty issues (if needed). For ME It came down to the trike being manufactured by one company (not a conversion). I have ridden since 1967. I hate that I have to give up 2 wheels. I want to continue the fun and not add any headaches.

I am watching this forum very closely. It is the most positive forum I have read in ANY subject. Most forums are more negative.

Understandable concern about warranty with an after market conversion. But, from what I have heard from my GW dealer and others in my GW chapter that really is pretty much a non-issue, except for having to go to two different dealers depending on the problem. The local dealer said they still handle everything related to the original part of the bike, but let the converter take care of everything on the trike part. My younger brother came over today with his new HD Tri-Glide. He said it's the largest HD trike made. About the same $$ as a new GW trike. To me it just doesn't look like it would be the comfortable tourer the GW is.

Now as for me, I decided I needed to move to three wheels before something happened that would make me wish I had done it months earlier. I bought my 2013 RT with 615 miles on it for only about $2000 more than a new conversion would have cost me for my 2005 GL1800A. The VSS, ABS, and electric shift, none of which are on a GW trike, coupled with the much lower $$ investment, made it a no-brainer for me to go with the barely used RT. I sure hope my decision is vindicated in the reliability arena.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    We really enjoyed our 2012 RT Limited last year and put 7,650 miles on it without any issues, i.e. getting stalled, stranded, etc. It was very reliable. I had the dealer address a couple of items and BRP honored warranty on one of them.

I just purchased a 2014 RT Limited to enjoy more of a "cruising" experience with a better powertrain. Anyway, the main point I am saying "do what you feel will make YOU happy". I have been frustrated with BRP's lack of response to my questions at times, but my dealer has always come through (lucky me).

BRP must be experiencing growing pains or their culture is not what we expect it to be. They need to be more customer centric and respond better to customer concerns without giving away the store. I don't want anything of monetary value from them when I contacted them, I just wanted an answer to a question. MOST companies honor that and provide a written response to their customer just out of courtesy.

I am not letting that issue get in the way of me and my wife enjoying our 2014 RT Limited just like we enjoyed the 2012 RT limited. Life's too short for that. We really enjoy ryding the Spyder and have done many more things because of that with friends.

Hope you do well in your decision making.....remember, what's important is that YOU are happy with your decision.

My $0.02 worth............good luck!
    We would Never want to get in the way of you enjoying your spyder!!!! We wish you the BEST and Many miles of fun!!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Well put! It pays to observe for a while and keep an open mind. Most of us are hoping for a vast improvement in the 2014 model year for the ST as well as the new RT. Time will tell if BRP has done their homework. In the meantime, those with repeated, major issues like FB need to find a resolution that brings their 2013 machines up to the standards set by the rest of the pack. It is the response to the problems, especially for the 2013 RT and ST owners, that will determine how BRP comes out of this in terms of future sales...not the engineering contained in the latest and greatest models. That should be obvious from the comments in this thread. The time for a unified, generous, and overwhelmingly supporting BRP response is now. I hope they choose to rise to the occasion.
    There is nothing than we want more than FB's spyder to be in good running order and dependable. All the other issues with brp are not important .... if her bike was running right.We are happy campers...BUT.. We are continuing to hope for a successful outcome!!!!!
    FB still loves her spyder.... I have reservations....
    Last edited by hotglue; 02-17-2014 at 11:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default commander in chief

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Yup, the quality control post have been deleted...thats too bad. Yours, mine, & FB's. The issues speak for themselves.
    we must remember that there is a power to be above us, and that power has connections with BRP. i am sure BRP is reading every post on this topic and has had a few words with the commander in chief, that being said the chief has offered to try to help F B with her problem to see if he could do anything about it. so it was really nice of him to try and i hope he can help.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    we must remember that there is a power to be above us, and that power has connections with BRP. i am sure BRP is reading every post on this topic and has had a few words with the commander in chief, that being said the chief has offered to try to help F B with her problem to see if he could do anything about it. so it was really nice of him to try and i hope he can help.
    I have noted that the online indicator has been on where BRPCare posted earlier today. It is still on as of 30 seconds ago. I do not believe the commander in chief lets BRP run what happens in the posts. I read the thread on QC and was thinking it had taken a bad turn south. When this happens, the thread is usually closed rather than deleted. OR--the original poster deleted the post--which in turn deletes the thread. There has been quite a bit of that going on the last few days. I for one am not seeing any specific censorship of posts on a particular subject basis.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-18-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    As I see it. Customer satisfaction as it relates to major problems is being dictated by the legal department, rather than customer service. That is a top down decision. While all companies design their way out of major inherant problems. They shouldn't walk away or turn a blind eye to those who continue to have the problems that brought about the redesign.
    BRP should probably have their legal department read these threads as I know for a fact that the Customer Service department does not communicate with legal. Or else that is another lie that they tell. They tell many thousands of lies.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Looks post 36 from brp?

Spyder Garage

EDIT: I think I have my answer. My response was probably in another thread and the entire thread has been deleted.
    That post was deleted by the guy who started the post. That's your option on this board.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi flamingobabe,

Let me start off by saying that I'm sorry about the challenges you've had with your Spyder. I'm well-aware of your case and of the issues you've encountered - as well as what BRP has done so far to assist you.

That being said, after reviewing the notes on the dealings you had with the person here at BRP, I can tell you that they did not agree to the item that you seem to be upset about - rather, they said they'd look into it and came back to you with the news that it could (unfortunately) not be done. Now let's be clear - I'm not in any way, shape or form saying that you're wrong or that it wasn't what you heard, but evidently there was a miscommunication somewhere. What you asked for was indeed looked into, but it was never promised to you by the rep you spoke to.

Based on the information I have at hand, I feel fully confident in stating that we're continuing to work closely with you in order to make things right and make you happy with your Spyder. I'm sorry if you don't feel that this is the case, but we're going to keep doing everything we can possibly do to support you going forward.
    What a load of ****. More lies and deception from the company that knows Nothing ​about customer service.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    If you do record, you best apprise the other party that the conversation is being recorded. To do it with an "unknowing party" is a felony (at least in the State of Flarda).

Chris

But is it a felony in Canada? Bet they are recording our calls.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is very disturbing to me. Even though I'm not reading about any significant problems with the 2014's so far, I'll be picking mine up soon, and the idea that I might have just bought a vehicle from a company that really doesn't care about its customers really leaves me with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I sure as heck hope the 2014's and me along with them are not headed for a miserable future.

Spyder Garage

Default just disappointed

Isn't it disappointing that someone like FB has to write on here that BRP done her wrong? Great lady and one of the most loyal Spyder
    riders out there. BRP is not aware of the costumers that buy these. It has nothing to do with free merchandise. I think the ones that
    buy a Spyder are middle age and up and if they wanted something for their bikes they just go buy it. JMO
    Customer care means more than anything else.
    FB, I hope issues with your bike get worked out and you enjoy many miles of uneventful travels. Look forward to seeing you out
    there on the road with your wonderful smile on as always.
    States Judy and I have visited so far on the

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a real shame, that it's gotten to this point...
    Char and Mark have always been staunch supporters of BRP, and it's a shame to see that being cast aside...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

one "Ah S**t" wipes out 100 "Atta Boys"

And as far as Lamont deleting things negative to BRP, Guess again, he is running a straight board that is definitely to your advantage, and no money out of your pocket, so be mad at BRP if you want to, but lighten up on this boards owner/operator.

FB, your Spyder is fixed and running, correct. (not that this has anything to do with the numerous problems).

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 02-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Understandable concern about warranty with an after market conversion. But, from what I have heard from my GW dealer and others in my GW chapter that really is pretty much a non-issue, except for having to go to two different dealers depending on the problem. The local dealer said they still handle everything related to the original part of the bike, but let the converter take care of everything on the trike part. My younger brother came over today with his new HD Tri-Glide. He said it's the largest HD trike made. About the same $$ as a new GW trike. To me it just doesn't look like it would be the comfortable tourer the GW is.

Now as for me, I decided I needed to move to three wheels before something happened that would make me wish I had done it months earlier. I bought my 2013 RT with 615 miles on it for only about $2000 more than a new conversion would have cost me for my 2005 GL1800A. The VSS, ABS, and electric shift, none of which are on a GW trike, coupled with the much lower $$ investment, made it a no-brainer for me to go with the barely used RT. I sure hope my decision is vindicated in the reliability arena.

It is true, you will need two different dealers in case of a warranty issue. Unless you go to a dealer that does both, bike and trike. But, you may need a third one also is you have a tranny issue. Triking a GW will void the tranny from warranty work. And the GW has a known issue with tranny problems. Having owned a triked wing and being on their forums, I know. Honda's first question is, "is this a trike"? What's worse, many dealers won't do tranny work. You need to find a dealer that has lift space that will be tied up for weeks. And many dealers don't have a wing certified tech. Their is a GW tranny specialist in Florida. He makes a living doing tranny's. Many owners, and dealers ship the work to him. As far as the Tri Glide goes. I have ridden it. Nice trike. Butt, it is a solid rear axle trike that was developed eons ago. And stolen by HD from Lehman Trikes! Pick your poison. I sold my GW trike, and am waiting on a 2014 RTS SE6. In yellow if they ever get around to making yellow Spyders. Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    And as far as Lamont deleting things negative to BRP, Guess again, he is running a straight board that is definitely to your advantage, and no money out of your pocket, so be mad at BRP if you want to, but lighten up on this boards owner/operator.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black