Thread: Top End Blower

Spyder Garage

Default Top End Blower

We recently installed the Kewlmetal air filter mod to our 2010 Spyder Rt A&C. See here for details

I now have all but one of the parts to do the final piece to this modification.

This addresses the possible heat build up around the engine while at idle or while stuck in traffic at slow speeds.
    Parts include an Attwood 3" blower, an adjustable thermostatic fan controller, a 4 amp fuse for power supply from battery.

Still waiting for the final part which is an additional switch for the spyder console, on its way from BRP parts.

The plan is to run the 12V+ from battery through the 4 amp fuse to the power side of fan.
    The 12V- will be routed from battery through the BRP switch on console through the thermostatic fan control and on to the blower.

This will allow us to control when this blower can run from the drivers seat as well as having it cycle according to temperature being sensed right near the intake filter.

Top End Blower.jpg
    Pics of the parts minus the switch

Edit: Want to add credit to spyderlovers cyncyspyder and cjackg for inspiration on the concept of this mod.
    Last edited by spyderbirds; 02-16-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: credits
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Default very interested

on how it turns out, if you tap a relay off the positive side of the bike fan than run a 12 volt line from the battery to the relay so the blower has it's own power supply it will come on when the bike fan comes on than you can also add the new switch to also turn the blower on when you also want to run it. is it possible to get pictures where you put the blower
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    on how it turns out, if you tap a relay off the positive side of the bike fan than run a 12 volt line from the battery to the relay so the blower has it's own power supply it will come on when the bike fan comes on than you can also add the new switch to also turn the blower on when you also want to run it. is it possible to get pictures where you put the blower
    John,

On the 2010 RT I am only concerned about "purging" the heat build up at slow or no speed. So I don't want to tie it into the radiator fan.
    I will post some pics from the install to this thread. The fan will go into the front left side (opposite the radiator).
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders

Spyder Garage

im doing something like that the same blower that is used for boat bilge gas smell build up,but im running from the fuse that is for the fog lights that i dont have to a switch ,so i can run it when in stop and go traffic,but im leting it blow the heat out the bottom where we took off the plastic sheld ,that way it wont come out on my foot.it will set on top of the radiator blowing dowen and out the bottom hole. wrong picture of the blower this on i got in the hole in the front on each side and only works while your moving,the other on a bilge dan works of the battery or fuse like im doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by napper39; 02-16-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default this is what i did

but with the snow i have not been out to try and see if it helped

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

heres he blower im installing on top of the radiator blowing the heat dowen and out the bottom of the spyder so it dont come out on my foot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default when i did

my stuff it only helps when riding, the bottom vents block off the heat from my feet and i cut a hole in the plastic behind the fan to blow the hot air out of that area, also the top vents i did blow air into the engine when the bike is moving also, i sure hope it works
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

had mentioned this as a possible solution some time back. Not having a problem with the heat never acted on it. Am working on turbo fans on the air intakes which one of our members has done. But ours is an RS with less problems. 'ing for your results. This should really be an effective way to remove the heat..congrats..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

CuznJohn,

I am curious what effect your mods have on your 2013 heat issues.

My issue is of my own doing, by removing the stock air box and resonator I created the possibility of sucking increased temp air into the intake over what the sensor is telling the computer. (sensor is farther forward than the intake).

I am not sure if this would be of any value to your heat issues, nor would I recommend removing the air box and resonator to anyone with a 2013 and its ongoing saga of heat issues.

2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    heres he blower im installing on top of the radiator blowing the heat dowen and out the bottom of the spyder so it dont come out on my foot.
    Yours looks like the same Attwood fan I and others have used.

Let us know how it works on your hot foot issue. I have kind of learned to live with the hot foot. Also curious how my mod helps when in traffic on my hot foot. IF winter ever leaves us we will find out!

2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders

Spyder Garage

What adjustable thermostatic fan controller are you using? (brand, part number)? I think the Attwood will work great to keep the under-Tupperware temps down, but won't affect the feet much.

if you want an alternative to fix the hot foot issue... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...reversal/page5 I haven't tried it yet, but it should work. I plan on doing it in a month or so when it gets warmer out.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    What adjustable thermostatic fan controller are you using? (brand, part number)? I think the Attwood will work great to keep the under-Tupperware temps down, but won't affect the feet much.

if you want an alternative to fix the hot foot issue... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...reversal/page5 I haven't tried it yet, but it should work. I plan on doing it in a month or so when it gets warmer out.
    Imperial adjustable thermostatic fan control PN 226203 from Advance Auto Parts .com

2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the part number! looks reasonably priced too.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

like i said befor im hooking it on the fuse that is for the driving lights which i dont have so i can hook to that fuse and to a switch then when going slow turn it on blowing the hot air dowen and not on my foot,and yes there is no plastic under my spyder ,and also the srwell plastic is out also so the fan will blow all the heat dowen and out. of corse i havent riged the fan as of yet so when i do ill send info and pictures,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbirds View Post
    We recently installed the Kewlmetal air filter mod to our 2010 Spyder Rt A&C. See here for details

I now have all but one of the parts to do the final piece to this modification.

This addresses the possible heat build up around the engine while at idle or while stuck in traffic at slow speeds.
    Parts include an Attwood 3" blower, an adjustable thermostatic fan controller, a 4 amp fuse for power supply from battery.

Still waiting for the final part which is an additional switch for the spyder console, on its way from BRP parts.

The plan is to run the 12V+ from battery through the 4 amp fuse to the power side of fan.
    The 12V- will be routed from battery through the BRP switch on console through the thermostatic fan control and on to the blower.

This will allow us to control when this blower can run from the drivers seat as well as having it cycle according to temperature being sensed right near the intake filter.

Top End Blower.jpg
    Pics of the parts minus the switch

Edit: Want to add credit to spyderlovers cyncyspyder and cjackg for inspiration on the concept of this mod.
    good decision! ... it's a pleasant ride now that the heat under control is

Spyder Garage

I did the same thing.... same blower, I had to can it because I couldn't fit that fan anywhere

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by anthony422 View Post
    I did the same thing.... same blower, I had to can it because I couldn't fit that fan anywhere
    Had you done the aftermarket intake and removed the air box and resonator? If not​I can see why no room for the fan.

I had plenty of room and think found a stable spot for it. time will tell.

2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders

Spyder Garage

Yesterday and today did some spring maintenance on the ol 2010 RT Spyder.
    Oil change
    Replaced antifreeze
    Replace original battery
    Installed the blower fan for use when stuck in traffic or idling. This allows me to flip the switch and activate a thermostat controlled Blower to bring fresh (cooler) air into the area around the Kewlmetal intake I have installed.
    Removed the NBV hi way pegs, never could get real comfortable with them and the foot so far from brake pedal...

2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Top blowerend

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    Napper,

Would you have the brand and model number for this fan.

Thanks

Dom

Spyder Garage

its the atwood turbo blower 17314 it on ebay ,and they also have 4in blowers also.those are for boat bilge blowers.