Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: spare key?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    If you have the programmable blanks, a lot of locksmiths can clone them, THEY JUST DON'T KNOW IT!

Your best option is to have a local automotive locksmith duplicate and clone your key onto the key blank. That way you keep possession of your key. Most automotive locksmiths have cloning devices since most cars use transponders these days. They may not know that their device will clone a Can-Am so just tell them it is a basic T5 chip that any cloning device will clone.
    I'm confused
    Are you saying the key sends out a signal?
    in order for it to do that would it not have to have a battery in it
    If so it will only last so long before the battery goes dead
    Then what?
    Don

Spyder Garage

Red face How they work

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5034953...keys-work.html

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    I'm confused
    Then what?
    Don

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm confused
    Then what?
    Don
    Not a battery but the second half of a transformer, so to speak. The ignition module has a coil that creates a weak magnetic field. That field is picked up by a coil in the key that then generates a tiny electrical current that activates the transponder in the key. Ever seen a Sonicare toothbrush? It recharges by picking up the magnetic field of the charger base. Same principle used in the key.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm confused
    Then what?
    Don
    There are transponders that use batteries. But this is not the case of keys for your vehicle (or in this case your Spyder).

What motor vehicle manufacturers are using is a Magnetic Coupled Transponder system. Magnetic Coupled Transponder systems are passive in nature. This means they do not require constant electricity and thus do not need a power source of their own. They operate in the frequency range area of 125KHz. Since Magnetic Coupled Transponders do not have their own power source they are very limited to range of communication and generally operate in the range of 1cm to 15cm (or 0.393701 of an inch to 5.9 inches). Since this is a radio frequency it can penetrate materials that would make the transponder not directly visible, such as the plastic or rubber in a key fob.

The keys must be "programmed" to match your vehicles ignition system because the ignition system is expecting to receive a very specific response from the key when the ignition is turned on. That is why if you loose your keys, it will be necessary to replace components in your Spyder and program the Spyder again. VERY EXPENSIVE!

If you loose one key, but have one remaining, a second key can be made because the information stored in the key transponder can be read. However, a Spyder dealer will want to reprogram the entire system, i.e. ignition system and key with new codes. If a Spyder dealer just cloned your remaining key, then anyone who came into possession of your lost key could start your Spyder and drive away.

Cloning IS NOT what a Spyder dealer does. He actually reprograms the entire system so that any lost key WILL NOT WORK! In order to reprogram the entire system, the Spyder dealer MUST HAVE a working key to accomplish the task.

If you are on a long trip and do not have access to your remaining key and loose the one you have - you are in for a very expensive repair since the dealer will need to replace the electronics in your Spyder. Remember, we are trying to foil thieves, so making it easy to match a key to the electronics of your Spyder defeats the purpose of having a transponder key. The dealer NEEDS a key from your Spyder to work with the existing electronics built-in to your Spyder. Loose both keys and it will cost you $1000 plus to get back on the road.

If you read my earlier posts - I purchased 2 cloned keys. I now have a total of 4 keys. I was comfortable cloning my keys because I had not actually lost one. Even if you lost one key, you may still be okay with just acquiring a cloned key. For example, if you dropped one key in the ocean or in the Grand Canyon, you probably don't have to worry that someone will find it and actually use it to steal your Spyder. If you don't know where you lost your key, you may feel uncomfortable and want the dealer to reprogram your system so the old key won't work.

You are probably using multiple transponders today and may not even know it. People who have their pets "chipped" so it can be identified if the pet is lost have a transponder. You are not having to change a battery in your pet, right? Nope, that is because it uses a similar system of using radio frequencies to send a faint signal to a receiver. People who drive cars that allow them to bypass toll booths at bridges and roads have transponders. If you can just wave your credit card instead of swiping it, you have a transponder.

This also means when you walk around with something in your pocket or on your person with a transponder, you can be tracked. Your smart phone is constantly allowing you to be tracked.

Some transponders require batteries and some don't. Your Spyder key doesn't.

P.S. If you choose to rob a bank, remove everything from your person, credit cards, phones, key fobs, etc. or else you could be tracked!

A transponder is a benign electronic device implanted in the head of a key which remains dormant until awakened by energy derived from its close proximity to an induction coil/antenna at the threshold of a vehicle’s ignition lock. When a transponder becomes energized by the ignition lock being turned ON, it transmits a unique alpha/numeric identity code back to the antenna coil and the on-board computer - for comparison with values stored in the computer’s memory. If the RF transmission from the transponder is an exact match then the engine can be started.

Last edited by Knarfoh; 03-23-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Knarfoh many thanks for your post.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
    2014 RT-S Cognac, Zumo 660, CB

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice job!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default problem

Ok I used the master key and can am brp cut blanks.
    But the 2012 rts will only let me program 1 key.
    It never gives me the next key option. It just says success and kicks me to the main cluster screen.
    Help please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    This same kind of system is used by other manufacturers. Here are the steps from the manual

To add or reprogram a key, carry out the following steps:
    1. Insert an already programmed functional key
    into the ignition switch.
    2. Turn the ignition key to ON.
    3. Turn the ignition key to OFF.
    4. Press MODE button for 3 seconds.
    5. Wait 5 seconds.
    6. Remove programmed key.
    7. Insert MASTER KEY (P/N 529 036 106).

NOTE: The master key is purposely “not cut” and will not turn in the ignition switch.
    1. No notches
    2. RED colored

8. Wait until the cluster displays MASTER.
    9. Remove the master key.
    10. Insert a key to program.
    11. Turn ignition switch to ON.
    12.Wait until cluster displays NEXT KEY.
    13. Turn ignition switch to OFF.
    14. Press MODE button for 3 seconds.
    15. Remove key.
    16. Insert next key to program.
    17. Turn ignition switch to ON.
    18.Wait until cluster displays NEXT KEY.

NOTE: If there are at least 2 keys programmed and you do not wish to program more keys (4 maximum), leave the last programmed key in the ignition switch. If you wish to program another key, repeat the previous five steps.

19.Wait until cluster displays SUCCESS.
    20. Turn ignition switch to OFF.
    21. Remove key.
    Key programming procedure is complete.

NOTE: When the maximum of 4 keys are programmed, the cluster will display SUCCESS. Start engine and let run for more than 2 minutes. If engine does not stop on its own after 2 minutes,
    programming mode is complete.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Same Problem

Were you able to find a fix? We had the same problem with programming our 2013 RT Limited. It will only allow us to program one too.

Quote Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
    Ok I used the master key and can am brp cut blanks.
    But the 2012 rts will only let me program 1 key.
    It never gives me the next key option. It just says success and kicks me to the main cluster screen.
    Help please.