Thread: RS SM5 Question

Spyder Garage

Default RS SM5 Question

I have a 2013 RS SM5 that has not been started for about a month. Today I started it, let it run for about a minute and pulled in the clutch to shift into 1st gear. It would not shift. I tried again and it made a grinding gear noise. Then I pumped the clutch lever and it clunked into gear and I never had another issue. It was like the clutch lost hydraulic pressure while sitting. Has anyone else ever had this issue. It's the longest my Spyder has ever sat without being ran so I'm new to winter Spyder issues.

Spyder Garage

Have you checked your clutch fluid level? That would be the first move. It is also possible that the slave cylinder o-rings or piston/cylinder have failed (or both), which could also cause a loss of clutch fluid. If the fluid needs to be topped off, and especially if it exposes the bottom of the master cylinder, you may need to bleed the clutch. BTW, the clutch fluid needs to be flushed and bled periodically. See your maintenance schedule.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 02-12-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I haven't checked the fluid yet, but I did not see any fluid on the floor. I figured I would check the fluid tomorrow. I was more wondering if anyone else has had this issue, but thanks for the good feedback.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its also possible the clutch disks seized to the plates from sitting and then finally broke loose. Kinda odd with only sitting for a month but who knows....
    Something to keep an eye on and see if it starts happening more often.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    I haven't checked the fluid yet, but I did not see any fluid on the floor. I figured I would check the fluid tomorrow. I was more wondering if anyone else has had this issue, but thanks for the good feedback.
    If a slave o-ring fails, the fluid is lost internally in some cases.

Rule #3 if something doesn't work...check your fluid levels.
    Just FYI...Rule #1 is check the kill switch (doesn't apply here) and Rule #2 is chek the battery connections (also doesn't apply).
    Last edited by NancysToy; 02-12-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

depending on the last ryde conditions several things could be the cause. You've heard of ridden hard and put up wet...depending on your oil age and level could be the stuck plates but not likely. Could be the hydraulic fluid but seeing as after the first shift things were find I also doubt this. Not a bad idea to check or change your fluid. Seems to me the piston was stuck and once it warmed up broke loose and things started operating normally. Might be a good idea to have it checked, being a new unit it is strange this would occur...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have never had this happen though I have seen where my clutch fluid has dropped down and needed a bit to fill.