Spyder Garage

Default 4300K VS 5000K HID Color Temperature Comparison

We are always getting questions from customers relating to 4300k vs 5000k. Most people looking to get an HID kit in this kelvin range are usually looking for bright white output, with very little blue to the light. One of our customers recently took some awesome pictures showing the differences between XenonDepot's H11 4300k rebased bulb (Philips), and XenonDepot's H11 5000k rebased HID bulbs. We've always explained the difference between the two as being minimal, but 4300k ultimately looking more "natural" with a "warmer" tone to them.

Not only did our customer to take the time to post up comparison pictures between XenonDepot's two kelvin temperatures, he also took the time to post up some comparison pictures between XenonDepot's 5000k HID bulbs and several other vendors' 5000k HID bulbs. XenonDepot accurately rates their bulbs' color temperatures, meaning that when you order a 5000k HID kit/bulb - that's what you're going to get. The pictures below show just how different the same kelvin bulb can differ between vendors - even though they should really be the same....

Philips 4300K vs XenonDepot 5000K

Philips 4300K HID Bulb

Philips 4300K HID Bulb Vs Other Brands

XenonDepot's rebased Philips HID bulbs are accurately rated at 4300 kelvin, and are rated at 3200 lumens - same bulbs that are used in OEM HID applications. They also color shift to 4700K after 100 hours, which means that they're going to get "crisper" over time. Here are some pictures comparing XenonDepot's rebased Philips 4300k bulbs to another brand:

XenonDepot 5000K HID Bulbs

XenonDepot 5000K HID Bulbs VS Other Brands

XenonDepot 5000K HID bulbs are rated to their true kelvin output. Take a look at the pictures below to see the differences between the XenonDepot 5000K HID bulbs and other brands (notice that there is significantly less blue):

UPDATE

Here are some updated pictures of the Philips 4300K H11 HID bulbs color shifting from 4300K to 4700K. As you can see in the pictures below the Philips bulbs are slighter whiter which gives you a good balance of color and light output.

Last edited by XenonDepot; 02-26-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

From my photography knowledge, sunlight is 5000°-5500° Kelvin. I chose 6000° Kelvin for my HIDs in my Tundra's headlights and fog lights, 55 watt units. For my Spyder, I also have 6000° Kelvin with the 35 watt units. I have been real happy with them. They put out a better light pattern with more spread than the orginal OEM halogen lamps.

I have found with the 6000° Kelvin that I have less eye fatigue with that color driving longer distances. They are slightly on the blue side. Too much blue in the higher Kelvin temps and there is a loss of light output.

Spyder Garage

I personally am a fan of 4300k. I found the "blue" in 6000k to not illuminate as well, and I personally prefer more of an "OEM" look (6000k is aftermarket looking).

Steve

Spyder Garage

I use the 5000k, nice white light and really lights the road up. I have them in both headlights and fog lights (my new ones just arrived for my 2014 so next project after I complete the new accessory fuse panel and wiring harness. You don't know how much you miss them until you drive with the old factory bulbs, especially in the rain.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    You don't know how much you miss them until you drive with the old factory bulbs, especially in the rain.
    Seriously!! Once you have HID lights, it's hard to go back to OEM halogens...

Steve

Spyder Garage

UPDATE

Check out the updated pictures of the Philips 4300K H11 HID bulbs color shifting from 4300K to 4700K. As you can see in the pictures above the Philips bulbs are slighter whiter which gives you a good balance of color and light output.

Danny