Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I ran out of gas today

Did 208.5 miles from full to empty, and took about 6.516 gallons to fill up. I know this is not a good indicator, as riding conditions vary, and I only did this experiment once. This trip was without the ECO mode on, shifting for the most part @ 2900 rpm, all but about 30 miles on the freeway going 70 – 75 mph. This tank gave me an average of 32.15 mpg, with my overall average at 31.89, so I guess I can’t complain. I just thought I would go further before it ran out.
    Just some info, 2014 RT, the fuel needle did not go below the E symbol, I was in 6th when it died, but only downshifted to 3rd when I stopped, and gave NO warning that it was out of gas; it just died. If you want to know what it is like just hit the kill switch while going down the street, same thing. I wish I would have got a picture of the fuel indicator, but I did not. Fuel light came on at 171.5 miles.

0210141244.jpg0210141244a.jpg

Also, Cruise was on, but not set.
    Last edited by Blue Star; 02-11-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: add info
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Fuel injected engines usually just quit with no warning. Not like the good old days with carburetors where you might be able to nurse them along for a little ways.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Not good running out of gas on a fuel injected motor. Glad to took the hit for the rest of us. Lol

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hope your mileage picks up a bit because that around the range my V-twin is getting. Good to know about it just stopping. Does the 14 still have the low fuel light??
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran a full tank on eco mode and wanted to shoot myself to put me out of my misery! I got 32.73 mpg which I didn't think was all that great. I didn't get to run a full tank due to the unavailability of fuel where I was riding. This was for 142 miles
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I ran a full tank on eco mode and wanted to shoot myself to put me out of my misery!
    I hear that!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Hmmmm..... Maybe BRP didn't increase the tank size for 2014 ??

Based on the ride-to-empty information you provided, and the mileage I got yesterday (39.57), this means I could have gone 257.84 miles on a tank. This is interesting because BRP claims:

Ride for up to 252 miles at 62 mph (406 km at 100 km/h)* on one tank

Seems to be right on.
    Last edited by Texas; 02-11-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Default Now you know..!!

Good to have an idea of the range you can get. I always use one tripmeter as a guide...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Good to have an idea of the range you can get. I always use one tripmeter as a guide...!!
    I do the same thing. Never trust the fuek gauge.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Not good running out of gas on a fuel injected motor. Glad to took the hit for the rest of us. Lol
    Demo test bike, so I did not mind

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    Hope your mileage picks up a bit because that around the range my V-twin is getting. Good to know about it just stopping. Does the 14 still have the low fuel light??

Yes it does. It came on at 171.5 miles. I forgot to put that in, but added it.

I ran a full tank on eco mode and wanted to shoot myself to put me out of my misery! I got 32.73 mpg which I didn't think was all that great. I didn't get to run a full tank due to the unavailability of fuel where I was riding. This was for 142 miles
    I do not use that ECO mode either, as it drive me crazy too. I have done four tanks with the ECO mode and my average is 32.54 mpg.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Fuel Range

Whenever I do finally take the plunge on a new RT (any version of it) then I could expect to be looking for a gas station anywhere from 180 to 200 miles (200 being the extreme limit). I would expect that riding two-up or against a headwind or in hilly terrain would reduce that figure significantly just as it does on my Victory Cross Country. Sounds like the ECO Mode only gets about 4 tenths or so more mpg so maybe not worth taking your eyes off the road to stay within it's shifting guidelines. I often just shift by the sound and feel of my motorcycles without paying strict attention to a tachometer anyhow. Doesn't sound like the 250 miles of range that BRP advertises is very realistic, kind of like the EPA mpg estimates on the stickers of new cars & trucks. I was hoping for something closer to 40 mpg like Texas reported, hope he is right!!
    Last edited by den1953; 02-11-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Blue"
    Thanks for performing this experiment for us!
    The fact that you went over 35 miles on "The LIght" , adds some comfort...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-11-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    Did 208.5 miles from full to empty, and took about 6.516 gallons to fill up. I know this is not a good indicator, as riding conditions vary, and I only did this experiment once. This trip was without the ECO mode on, shifting for the most part @ 2900 rpm, all but about 30 miles on the freeway going 70 – 75 mph. This tank gave me an average of 32.15 mpg, with my overall average at 31.89, so I guess I can’t complain. I just thought I would go further before it ran out.
    Just some info, 2014 RT, the fuel needle did not go below the E symbol, I was in 6th when it died, but only downshifted to 3rd when I stopped, and gave NO warning that it was out of gas; it just died. If you want to know what it is like just hit the kill switch while going down the street, same thing. I wish I would have got a picture of the fuel indicator, but I did not. Fuel light came on at 171.5 miles.

0210141244.jpg0210141244a.jpg

Also, Cruise was on, but not set.

Thank you, that is good to know.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I ran out of gas today

What is the range on a 2013 ST-S? if you have the information because it feels to me that I fill up go for a ride maybe 2 hours and I have to get gas...

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

BRP did increase the tank size slightly because they removed the "dent" that the 13 exhaust pipe ran next to. Also mileage numbers are a mysterious thing based on your riding style so do take them to heart. My 13 RT/S got a best of 34 mpg on a long ride with the Cincinnati Spyder riders group and that is because I'm a conservative "tour rider" I like to hang on the back roads and ride at reasonable speeds and look around, not hammer it from point A to point B.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Default speed

I think its all about speed. Blue star was running 73 average. BRP was saying around 63 mph like state highways (except in Texas) I will tell you the difference will be huge.

Spyder Garage

Default Most of my riding

Most of the time I ride on back roads and secondary highways with a 55 mph speed limit and I generally limit myself to no more than 60 on them. Interstate highways are a completely different matter. Ohio raised the limit from 65 to 70 mph last year and I was used to maintaining 70 to stay out of trouble but now have to do 75. I still routinely get passed a lot by people doing 80 to 85 mph. I'm still on two wheels an I'm not comfortable doing 80 mph much less 85, especially with my wife on back. I would hope the added stability of the Spyder might make things better on the superslab although I'd rather be on the slower, less traveled roads for the most part.
    Last edited by den1953; 02-11-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me too!

Spyder Garage

Default BREAKING PERIOD?

Wondering if there is going to be a break in period and the mileage will improve over time?
    That's what happened with my 2011 RT. Started out with about 25mpg, increased to 30-33 mpg now. Can't remember how long it took, have 7100 miles on bike now. Maybe after 5000 miles? Just a thought.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They always get better; over the time and miles...

Spyder Garage

As was said many times before, mileage is going to vary. In ideal conditions @ 62 mph., you mightget 252 miles on a tank.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I know your pain!!! I only made it though 1/2 a tank with ECO mode on. Boring!!!!

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I believe that 252 miles on a tank will be a stretch for most of us, 200 to 225 is a more realistic goal. Every time that I have been able to ride until the fuel light came on it has been at 170+ miles which left me with approx. 1 1/2 gallons of gas. The test Spyder that I am on now has over 5500 miles on it and it has had the first service. I have not noticed any increase in fuel mileage though since I started riding it at 1,300 miles.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Other than the obvious dangers of losing power without warning in traffic, there really isn't any danger of damaging the engine of a fuel injected system any more than doing the same thing in a carbureted engine. To get going again you just add fuel to the tank and you're up an running with no issues.

Some confuse fuel injected diesel with fuel injected gasoline systems. Diesel is a whole 'nother ball game. Though you won't damage a diesel engine by running out of fuel. You can't just put diesel in the tank and drive away like you can with a gasoline injected engine.

The only real possible down side of running out of fuel in the Spyder is that, like most modern fuel injected engines, the electric pump in the fuel tank is cooled by the fuel itself. Just like in a car, if you run your fuel real low all of the time it can cause the fuel pump bearings to overheat eventually requiring it to be replaced.

I am guessing as to this aspect on the Spyder based on similar systems in cars and trucks.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...