Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

So the 14s are getting 1 maybe 2 more mpg than the 13s and coupled with a half gallon larger tank go 25 more miles per fill up in real life. Hmm, not nearly as big an improvement as was boasted.

Riding with a group last weekend, running between 65 and 70 but it was curvy back roads so not constant speed by any means, my fuel light came on at 158 and I filled up at 172 using 4.9 gallons. I did not spend time getting every last drop in so say it could have fit another quart and divide by 5.2 gives 33mpg. I don't have an eco mode and am a bit ham fisted with the throttle as my wife will attest. Does not sound like that big a difference to me.

I think I am going to keep looking at adding an aux tank below the saddle bag on the right. Looks like a 2.5gal spun aluminum tank may just fit. That would take my range well past 200.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The specs in the owners manual say the new tank is supposed to be 6.9 gallons--compared to the 6.6 gallons on the previous models. 6.5 actual fill on running out of gas sounds about right. I also remember reading "somewhere" that when the fuel light goes on you have about 1 gallon left. (YOUR ACTUAL RESULTS MAY VARY--OF COURSE).

Thank you for being one of the beta testers--it gives us some ballpark information. My "best" on the old style tanks was 5.8 gallons at 184 miles. I did not run out of gas--but did run out of courage to go farther.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-11-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Thank you for being one of the beta testers--it gives us some ballpark information. My "best" on the old style tanks was 5.8 gallons at 185 miles. I did not run out of gas--but did run out of courage to go farther.
    Pretty close

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=Miles
    2012 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Replies to posts

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    Whenever I do finally take the plunge on a new RT (any version of it) then I could expect to be looking for a gas station anywhere from 180 to 200 miles (200 being the extreme limit). I would expect that riding two-up or against a headwind or in hilly terrain would reduce that figure significantly just as it does on my Victory Cross Country. Sounds like the ECO Mode only gets about 4 tenths or so more mpg so maybe not worth taking your eyes off the road to stay within it's shifting guidelines. I often just shift by the sound and feel of my motorcycles without paying strict attention to a tachometer anyhow. Doesn't sound like the 250 miles of range that BRP advertises is very realistic, kind of like the EPA mpg estimates on the stickers of new cars & trucks. I was hoping for something closer to 40 mpg like Texas reported, hope he is right!!
    I went on a 553 mile round trip to Las Vegas and back, fully loaded, two-up, and it really did not effect my mileage that much. Three tanks averaged 32.29, 24.36, and 33.60. The low of 24.36 was going up two mountains that reached an elevation of over 4000 feet. I do not think riding two-up hurt that much with my mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Blue"
    Thanks for performing this experiment for us!
    The fact that you went over 35 miles on "The LIght" , adds some comfort...
    I wish I had done this before, so it would have been more assuring for me too. Other than this last tank (experiment) my longest tank was 201.3 miles. Just glad I got gas when I did instead of 4 mile further

Quote Originally Posted by Baseball79ST2013 View Post
    What is the range on a 2013 ST-S? if you have the information because it feels to me that I fill up go for a ride maybe 2 hours and I have to get gas...
    Don't know, but maybe someone with a 2013 will jump in. I had a 2012 before, and never went past 127 miles with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    BRP did increase the tank size slightly because they removed the "dent" that the 13 exhaust pipe ran next to. Also mileage numbers are a mysterious thing based on your riding style so do take them to heart. My 13 RT/S got a best of 34 mpg on a long ride with the Cincinnati Spyder riders group and that is because I'm a conservative "tour rider" I like to hang on the back roads and ride at reasonable speeds and look around, not hammer it from point A to point B.
    My average on my 2012 was 29.85 mpg, but like Wheel Addict said, riding style can change things. I wish I could do it again, but time limits me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Spyder View Post
    I think its all about speed. Blue star was running 73 average. BRP was saying around 63 mph like state highways (except in Texas) I will tell you the difference will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzermom View Post
    Wondering if there is going to be a break in period and the mileage will improve over time?
    That's what happened with my 2011 RT. Started out with about 25mpg, increased to 30-33 mpg now. Can't remember how long it took, have 7100 miles on bike now. Maybe after 5000 miles? Just a thought.
    My test bike had 4707 miles when I got it, and is now over 7300.

Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    I know your pain!!! I only made it though 1/2 a tank with ECO mode on. Boring!!!!
    Once you hit 6th gear the ECO mode don't make a difference, but going so slow until I get to 6th makes me feel not safe. On Sunday I was talking to a BRP Tech about the Spyder's ECO mode, and how by twisting the throttle you can over-ride the ECO light. I mentioned that it makes it difficult to use when it works sometimes, and not others. He told me on the snow mobiles you cannot over-ride the ECO unless you turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    While I believe that 252 miles on a tank will be a stretch for most of us, 200 to 225 is a more realistic goal. Every time that I have been able to ride until the fuel light came on it has been at 170+ miles which left me with approx. 1 1/2 gallons of gas. The test Spyder that I am on now has over 5500 miles on it and it has had the first service. I have not noticed any increase in fuel mileage though since I started riding it at 1,300 miles.
    200 miles is my limit now, but I knew from about the first third of a tank that it will be a short mileage tank. Out of 14 fill-ups, I have had the fuel light on 8 times, so my average is 175.81 miles for the light to come on.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The specs in the owners manual say the new tank is supposed to be 6.9 gallons--compared to the 6.6 gallons on the previous models. 6.5 actual fill on running out of gas sounds about right. I also remember reading "somewhere" that when the fuel light goes on you have about 1 gallon left. (YOUR ACTUAL RESULTS MAY VARY--OF COURSE).

Thank you for being one of the beta testers--it gives us some ballpark information. My "best" on the old style tanks was 5.8 gallons at 184 miles. I did not run out of gas--but did run out of courage to go farther.
    Your welcome, and it is funny. I read how others get high mpg on their bikes, but I have never been able to get high mpg on either on my three bikes. Always on the low to middle range.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    While I believe that 252 miles on a tank will be a stretch for most of us, 200 to 225 is a more realistic goal. Every time that I have been able to ride until the fuel light came on it has been at 170+ miles which left me with approx. 1 1/2 gallons of gas. The test Spyder that I am on now has over 5500 miles on it and it has had the first service. I have not noticed any increase in fuel mileage though since I started riding it at 1,300 miles.
    Being the age I am my butt runs out of miles before the tank does.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Spyder View Post
    I think its all about speed. Blue star was running 73 average. BRP was saying around 63 mph like state highways (except in Texas) I will tell you the difference will be huge.
    I agree. I know with my Goldwing, the mpg difference was significant when you are running above 3,000 rpms versus maintaining your engine speed below 3,000 rpms.