Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S MPG Report for Texas

I thought I would create this thread to keep a tally of the MPG I am getting on my 2014 RT-S. I purchased it and drove it home on 2/1/2014. So far, mileage has been very good. However, I expect to see MPG increase once we go back to summer temperatures and summer gas, and my RT-S is broken in. This summer I expect to consistently see 42-44 MPG. For those of you not seeing this kind of MPG, keep in mind that it really depends on how you drive it. I also drive a Prius, and I always get 60+ MPG. Anticipating lights, perfecting shift points, and keeping your speed down to reduce drag are all major contributors to better MPG.

2/1/2014:
    181 Miles - 5.11 Gal. - 35.42 MPG

2/9/2014:
    201 Miles - 5.08 Gal. - 39.57 MPG
    -Texas

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    I thought I would create this thread to keep a tally of the MPG I am getting on my 2014 RT-S. I purchased it and drove it home on 2/1/2014. So far, mileage has been very good. However, I expect to see MPG increase once we go back to summer temperatures and summer gas, and my RT-S is broken in. This summer I expect to consistently see 42-44 MPG. For those of you not seeing this kind of MPG, keep in mind that it really depends on how you drive it. I also drive a Prius, and I always get 60+ MPG. Anticipating lights, perfecting shift points, and keeping your speed down to reduce drag are all major contributors to better MPG.

2/1/2014:
    181 Miles - 5.11 Gal. - 35.42 MPG

2/9/2014:
    201 Miles - 5.08 Gal. - 39.57 MPG
    Would be more interesting as to your driving speed, average speed and type of roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Would be more interesting as to your driving speed, average speed and type of roads.
    Temperatures were in the 70s for both rides. Terrain: Hill Country (if you are familiar with the Texas Hill Country). Windshield down. I am still in the break in period, so speed has not been constant. Top speed has been around 75, but I would say that I hang around the 55 area due to the back roads that we like to drive.
    Last edited by Texas; 02-10-2014 at 06:46 AM.
    -Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for starting this post...
    It sounds as if your type of riding matches mine; it'll give me something to aim for!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Greta info !!

Thanks Still debating on pulling the trigger

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default back roads

Temperatures were in the 70s for both rides. Terrain: Hill Country (if you are familiar with the Texas Hill Country). Windshield down. I am still in the break in period, so speed has not been constant. Top speed has been around 75, but I would say that I hang around the 55 area due to the back roads that we like to drive.
    If you get up to Fredericksburg PM me I have been exploring the back roads around here and thanks for the review on fun center they have helped with a couple of things I had going.

Spyder Garage

I am not getting near that, but I also ride mostly with windshield up and I am heavy as well. But I am still happy as I get way more than I used to on the 11. See my Fuelly link in my signature.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I am not getting near that, but I also ride mostly with windshield up and I am heavy as well. But I am still happy as I get way more than I used to on the 11. See my Fuelly link in my signature.
    Thanks for the link!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the update!

Wow That MPG looks much better than my 2012 RT Limited -- can't wait to ryde our new 2014! Very encouraging on the performance, MPG, etc.....

Thanks for the post...
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thank you for starting this post...
    It sounds as if your type of riding matches mine; it'll give me something to aim for!
    When I was a young guy, I was all about horsepower. I thought the challenge was all about power and how fast I could go. Through the years, I became bored with that. There just wasn't any challenge. More HP usually equated to quicker quarter mile times. Car and Motorcycle companies are always coming out with more powerful vehicles. Traveling fast down the road only increased my heart rate, and I never got to really see the world.

Eventually I became fascinated with efficiency. Decreasing my commute to gain more time for my family, getting the most light out of a light bulb using the least amount of watts & getting the most miles per gallon are just some of the things that have had my interest for more than the past decade. Most people are not willing to take on the challenge because it isn't convenient and/or they don't have enough patience. People said electric cars would never work because they don't go fast enough or have enough range, but now Tesla produces a sedan that is one of the coolest looking sedans on the road with a quicker quarter mile time than a Camaro ZL and a 250+ mile range.

We humans have proven that we can produce enough power to push 214 tons ripping through the atmosphere and send it to Mars. Now it is time that we can find a way to do it by using a 5 lb. reusable, environmentally safe fuel cell, as opposed to using 792.5 tons of rocket fuel. Now that would be impressive! So finding ways to do more with less is what ultimately makes me feel good at the end of the day. Doing so with minimal impacts to comfort is the real challenge.

Aerodynamics plays a big part in vehicle efficiency. The RT isn't the most aerodynamic vehicle. Motorcycles in general are far less aerodynamic than say a Corvette. Driving a Spyder RT is sort of like pushing a brick wall down the road. There was a car company (don't know what happened to them) in San Diego that produced some working vehicles called the Aptera. It was a three wheeled hybrid car that looked like an airplane fuselage with no wings. They claimed it got well in excess of 300 MPG, with 2-3 fuel stops to go coast to coast. I think they have financing issues, but my hat is off to them for thinking outside the box. All that said, I do like the RT very much. My wife doesn't like convertibles because it isn't "open air" enough for her. There will always be some sort of cycle in our life. I will get every MPG out of it that can be gotten.
    -Texas

Spyder Garage

Default Great idea..!!

I'm sure many are interested in the economy yet puzzels me. This is just the way I see it but if you buy a machine like this (not cheap) as a fun/recreational travel mode, knowing well it is not designed like a mo-ped and does not get great mileage why does it become an important issue. The same can be said about weather to use high test gasoline mostly because it costs more. We are talking pennies to the gallon on a 6.6 gal tank. What's that a buck...it may be that I did come in knowing this, and it is one of the most often asked questions at the pump, that it does not bother me. I do get 33 mpg and my cars do better but I can remember getting 12 mpg on my other fun machines. I do have to say I look for the best price when it comes to my roadster but on the best quality products. The best for those with intrest on mpg's are those apps where they track it for you...I did it till I got a handle on my range and consuption and now just ryde and enjoy...jmho....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I'm sure many are interested in the economy yet puzzels me. This is just the way I see it but if you buy a machine like this (not cheap) as a fun/recreational travel mode, knowing well it is not designed like a mo-ped and does not get great mileage why does it become an important issue. The same can be said about weather to use high test gasoline mostly because it costs more. We are talking pennies to the gallon on a 6.6 gal tank. What's that a buck...it may be that I did come in knowing this, and it is one of the most often asked questions at the pump, that it does not bother me. I do get 33 mpg and my cars do better but I can remember getting 12 mpg on my other fun machines. I do have to say I look for the best price when it comes to my roadster but on the best quality products. The best for those with intrest on mpg's are those apps where they track it for you...I did it till I got a handle on my range and consuption and now just ryde and enjoy...jmho....
    Exactly my feelings!!
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Spyder Garage

This has nothing to do with money. Any money, if any, that is saved is just a by-product of what is being accomplished. Just like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are looked at as the forefathers of the home computer, our generation will be looked as the ones who got us out of the stone age where we started to take great strides in efficiency in regards to powering our homes and our vehicles. This is about efficiency and pushing the envelope. If no one ever cared about that, we would all still be getting 12 MPG. In the past several years we’ve seen just how much our deteriorating relationship with other countries affects our pain-at-the-pump. Figuring out ways to use less to do more only strengthens our independence from foreign oil. Some people don't care, and that's fine. Some people do care though, and it is their innovation that drives me to excel as well.
    Last edited by Texas; 02-10-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    -Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But only because I'm a cheep essobee...

Spyder Garage

This sounds like the never give it more than a 1/4 throttle thread. And never shift above 1800 RPM.

I having to much fun to get good mileage!!!!

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Elka front shocks supplied by Pitbull Power sports.
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Smooth Spyder belt tensioner
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    BRP TRI AXSIS Handle bars
    Luggage rack
    2013 STS SE5 Circuit Yellow. The Jenny Mobile!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nils888 View Post
    This sounds like the never give it more than a 1/4 throttle thread. And never shift above 1800 RPM.

I having to much fun to get good mileage!!!!

Everybody drives their Spyder differently. Those that want to drive really fast have to pay much more close, intense attention to the road. I like to drive at a speed that I can hear my wife humming a tune and I can see more of what is around me. However, I think all of us will agree that we are all having fun
    Last edited by Texas; 02-11-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    -Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Must be Fricking nice top speed on my 13?is around 55 lucky to get 23 mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

In an effort to increase mileage and efficiency, and this is not related in regards to the riders, but is a weight loss program planned for the Spyder.

I was quite surprised at how much some of the individual panels or assemblies weigh while accomplishing some work on the machine this week.

While driving to work, I was wondering why they don't have an aluminum swing arm or lighter underbody plastics. Not complaining just thinking about it.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Efficiency Vs. Cost to Produce

I am quite sure BRP could go exotic and cut up to a couple hundred pounds from the RT. A cast aluminum frame & swingarm, carbon fiber body panels & fuel tank etc. could be utilized. Maybe even a wind tunnel designed bodywork could even be developed as well but would you buy it if it cost well over 40 grand?? I doubt it very much and the aerodynamic version might even be too ugly looking to the buying public. I know BRP has been developing a gas/electric hybrid version of the Spyder, but like in hybrid automobiles you'd have the extra cost of having two modes of propulsion. Would the mpg savings justify the added cost?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Everybody drives their Spyder differently. Those that want to drive really fast have to pay much more close, intense attention to the road. I like to drive at a speed that I can hear my wife humming a tune and I can see more of what is around me. However, I think all of us will agree that we are all having fun

Spyder Garage

Not too long ago a car costing $100K was unheard of. I never saw one on the road, and most people only saw them in magazines. Now, most people I know of spend $50K+ on each of the two SUVs parked in their driveway. Exotics are no longer considered to be $100K (case in point: the Tesla S can cost $120K and is not considered an Exotic), but instead, $250K+

In my 20s, I never would have spent $10K+ for a motorcycle (my new 1987 Honda Goldwing Aspencade was $7,800), but I have already purchased a few bikes for $30K+. So yes, I believe people would spend $40K on a motorcycle if they felt it would meet their needs. Our society is constantly beckoning for the next new thing. Today you buy a mobile phone that has the ability to use hundreds of applications you don't even take the time to explore, yet as soon as they announce there is a new phone with a 5% larger screen and 10% faster processor, you ditch the old phone for the new one. Though I hate to admit it, if they announced they were coming out with a motorcycle (2-3 wheels) that was all day comfortable, got 100+ MPG, and had the equivalent of 200+ HP and cost $40K; I would at the very least, inquire about it.
    -Texas

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let's face it; Everybody likes to "peek over the fence" at whatever "new and improved" gadget they're throwing at us...

Spyder Garage

I agree!!!! But another thing that effects the mileage is where I am riding. I don't spend much time riding on Freeways. Most of the places I ride are mountain roads that are just around the corner from my house. Lots of steep hill climbs.
    This dose work for trying conserve fuel.

Someday I will try an economy ride when I get down to the flatlands.

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    Luggage rack

Spyder Garage

+1

2014 RTS SE6 White
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Aligned By Squared Away
    Sprderpops Bump skid
    Luggage rack

Spyder Garage

Default $40K Thing, Future of Toys

I'm probably wrong on the $40,000 remark as in time our toys always get more expensive. The 2014 RT Limited at 30,499 msrp is just the current model and it's price. $40K Spyders aren't really that many years off. Doesn't really matter how much new technology will go into them or not, the price will go up.