View Poll Results: What Octane do you use?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll

35 24.82%

21 14.89%

41 29.08%

57 40.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What gas do you use?

I have noticed improved MPG since I quit using 93 and started using 89 (91 if it is available). I have gone from 25 to 30mpg. I know there are other variables like temps and riding style ,but I am wondering what everyone runs and what MPGs you get ? You can pick more than 1 if you want.
    Last edited by Magdave; 02-08-2014 at 11:59 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

We us mid to reg 83 to 91 the higher is not that great in some place, water mud and all that ****. In their tanks just go to mid and they run great...

Spyder Garage

Default Single hose pump

I'm hoping it is 93 octane but who knows how much is 87 when I only pump half a tank

Spyder Garage

Been pumping Chevron premium 91 on all my cars and bikes ever since; no complaints and
    gas mileage and power is noticeably better with premium gas.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

in many cases it's not the price but the availability. Always look for the best, for the difference in price and the amount used it's worth it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Avoid Ethanol!!!

Try to avoid ethanol as much as possible, definitely anything labeled E-15 or E-85. I think some stations have up to 10% without any labeling, but that's usually the regular 87 octane gas. I generally use 89 when it's cooler weather and premium 91 to 93 when its warmer or hot weather. I just avoid using 87 because of the possibility of there being ethanol in it.

Spyder Garage

puregas.com

I went out of my way to use non-ETOH gas. When I had no choice, I always used a shot of Star-Tron. Even though my Spyders were "rated" for ETOH gas, performance and longevity are worth the effort of using decent fuel.

BTW, I have always loved to ride in Western Canada - almost anywhere is truly terrific - and they have 102 octane non-ETOH up there...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

What does the manual call for?

I thought it was 91 minimum?

We don't have 91 here we just have 87, 89 and 93.

I wouldn't use less than what they call for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did some comparative runs with my old bike: 87, versus 93 octance... The results at that time, convinced me that the bike ran cooler, smoother, and got a bit better fuel mileage with the higher-grade fuel.
    I will probably continue to run 93...
    For a four gallon fill-up; the difference is only about a buck. I waste more money that that each day anyway...
    If I'm in an area that's unfamiliar; I'd rather buy the higher-grade fuel, and HOPE that it is, what it says it is...
    With 87 in the tank; who knows how much "wiggle room" exists?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Octane

91 unless traveling through a state where higher octane is available, and always a name brand, unless fuel level dictates loading whatever is available. That doesn't happen often, but will if you travel much. While I pay attention to my MPG. I don't obsess over it. There are far to many variables that can/will affect MPG. So, I fill and go. Until it's time to fill again.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

One important thing about buying fuel that is what it says it is one, buying a name brand and two, buying at a station that looks like it is frequented regularly.

If a station is well used, then the tanks are filled on a regular basis hence the fresher the fuel should be and most likely the octane is what it says.

Also the newer the station, the less likely it is to have water or contaminants in the tank from cracks etc.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have never had anything less than 91 in mine, but I have only got 1600 miles on it. I think mine is listed as 91 minimum. I have a performance boat that calls for 91 as a minimum but the factory told me that if I back off the total timing 4 degrees I could run 87 octane, and I did and have for the last 10 years, it's fuel injected as well but I don't think we can do this on a Spyder but they get way better mileage than that boat!
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    One important thing about buying fuel that is what it says it is one, buying a name brand and two, buying at a station that looks like it is frequented regularly.

If a station is well used, then the tanks are filled on a regular basis hence the fresher the fuel should be and most likely the octane is what it says.

Also the newer the station, the less likely it is to have water or contaminants in the tank from cracks etc.
    Yup!

That's why I'll use the higher grade, and HOPE for the best...
    Time,and crud;will deteriorate what's in the tank...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Most mom and pop stations and off brands buy what is call low book gas. That is usually what's left in the suppliers tanks at the end of the run and after the main users have their supplies. they may also use a contract hauler since they don't want to pay for the name brand hauler. There is a depot not far from us. The name brands are listed at each filling point. Contract tankers fill up at these points as well as the name brand tankers. Contract tankers supply convenience stores that don't have their own haulers. One such contract service here also hauls jet fuel for the military bases. Those same trucks may haul JP8 in the morning and gasoline in the afternoon.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    What does the manual call for?

I thought it was 91 minimum?

We don't have 91 here we just have 87, 89 and 93.

I wouldn't use less than what they call for.
    It Recommends 91 with a minimum of 87. Try to use Top Tier gas. I used to like Texaco until it moved out of SC it had Techron in it probably the best fuel system cleaner on the market. If you look at the bottles you can see many major Auto companies rebrand it and call it their own. It is a good thing to add a few ounces every now and then.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    It Recommends 91 with a minimum of 87. Try to use Top Tier gas. I used to like Texaco until it moved out of SC it had Techron in it probably the best fuel system cleaner on the market. If you look at the bottles you can see many major Auto companies rebrand it and call it their own. It is a good thing to add a few ounces every now and then.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Interesting to me that the computer can compensate for that range...but I guess in such a small low powered engine it isn't as big as a deal as engines I'm use to...over 500 HP and Supercharged or turbocharged. I know w power adders you definitely want the right octane rating.

I see in your Top Tier listing that the stations we use are all listed. We have always used Exxon, and She'll because that is who we have cards with. We have a couple Citgo stations near our home that would be real convenient, but I know nothing about them or their products?

Spyder Garage

I use the highest octane pure gas
    i can find, I will take 87 pure above 91 ethanol.
    Here is KS we don't have any 93 to choose from...
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

I'm only on my second tank but... I have noticed a big difference in my 2013 RSS with a Two Brothers muff using ethanol free 93 vers 93 with ethanol. Soon as I filled the tank after the dealer complimentary 2 gal of crap and ran the ethanol gas out deceleration popping stopped. For you who don't know ethanol(alcohol) is heavier/thicker then gasoline and causes a lean out condition. In this cooler weather you shouldn't have any problem dropping back to a lower grade gasoline. Summer however with these high compression engines you'll probably have detonation(ping).

Spyder Garage

Interesting so far. I would like to hear more from the 87 users. MPG and issues?

Spyder Garage

I use 89 octane as it is the only fuel available around here. I have a 2012 RTL with over 12,000 and average 37 to 40 MPG on US gallon. I have tried higher octane when in the US with poorer results.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    I use 89 octane as it is the only fuel available around here. I have a 2012 RTL with over 12,000 and average 37 to 40 MPG on US gallon. I have tried higher octane when in the US with poorer results.
    That's what I want to hear confirmation of my observation. My thinking on this comes from some recent posts about higher the octane lower the boiling point. Have not smelled gas fumes since changing....yet so am wondering if this helps on that point.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My Dealer Said.....

Had our bike in for the 6000 service a while back, and the service manager told me that we should run regular gas instead of the premium. He said that with a low compression engine like the 998 that it would run better. We have tried that and have not noticed much of a difference. I might add this is a highly respected dealer in our area, and people drive hundreds of miles to have their machines serviced there.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

This is another one of those--there is no right answer threads. Here, the highest octane available in most cases in 91. We also have 87 and 89. No ethanol is added to our gas that I know of--however, they do make "winter blends."

I always put in the 91. I have tried 87 a few times--but it seems to me, that my 's like the higher octane blend better. They seem to be more responsive. I have not noticed any appreciable difference in mileage.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I use mid grade gas. Sent PM
    Deanna777
    Last edited by Deanna777; 02-10-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Question

Why???