Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question LIMITED VS RTS.....NEED TO DECIDE BY MONDAY...

one moment I think the limited is the way to go.....two hours later I think the RTS is the right move....Help me out guys. This is my first Spyder and I just don't want to buy the RTS and regret not going all the way.....Thanks for your input. Has anyone else had this hard of a time deciding...
    Last edited by jterrymaddux; 02-08-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correction

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jterrymaddux View Post
    one moment I think the limited is the way to go.....two hours later I think the RTS is the right move....Help me out guys. This is my first Spyder and I just don't want to buy the RTS and regret not going all the way.....Thanks for your input. Has anyone else had this hard of a time deciding...
    just my opinion but if you want to over pay for gps & inner luggage bags also a little bit of chrome then limited is the way to go.

Spyder Garage

Only you can make this decision. If you want the added accessories, the LTD may be your choice. If the RTS is all you need, or you only want to add an accessory or two, that's the way to go. Only you know what's going through your mind.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like Scotty said the decision is all yours. Have you looked at both side by side? Do you like chrome? If you really, really like the chrome then go for the Limited. Personally, I prefer the blacked out look of the RTS.

I use my IPhone for GPS through my Scala Rider so I wouldn't care to have the GPS on the Limited. The rolling suitcase for the front trunk is nice but I feel a bit overpriced. The RTS has the coolest seat of all the models for 2014 with the two-tone colors.

Decisions, decisions.............Good luck.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Keeping in mind the Limited is only 6% more than the RT-S SE6on the front end, yet (for comparison) the SE5's are bringing 8% to 10% more on the back end of 2 year old private-party sales and trade values, I would go Limited. And I just found out, the full luggage set is not included on the 2014's. 4 year warranty is extended at least through the end of February on both units. Good Luck with your purchase......BB

Spyder Garage

I say go Limited! Bite the bullet and have a complete factory optioned bike.
    When I order mine, it will definitely be an RT-L (without a doubt)!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Color

I went for color first. Just had to have yellow, and not available on 13 limited. I, too agree differences not worth initial expenditure.

Spyder Garage

Back when the RT spyder first came out, I had the same dilemma of a choice, it wasn't money as my concern, just getting the ride the way I wanted. Went with the premier edition, ( now called Limited) and use luggage on all trips. The chrome pops on the timeless black, the GPS keep in mind is now pre installed, right? That's gotta save over adding labor from dealer to install. However my next one will be, gosh I don't know decisions decisions.... Think it will come down to color choice

Spyder Garage

We were uncertain also. This being the wifes first real moto riding, 99.999999% is about her enjoying it. We had looked at 2013 STs machines but somehow did not jump in back then. A few weeks ago, we began talking about the idea again, but were casual about it.

We had a bicycle event we were traveling for, and when I got home so we could take the 4 hour drive, wife says she found a Can Am dealer on the way with a minor course deviation and wanted to go have another look. We stopped in, she sat on a few machines. It quickly became obvious that my desire for the STs was not the best choice once I saw she appreciated the safety for a first time rider offered by the RT rear accommodations.

We left the dealer on Friday, while continuing our journey North on I75 towards the bicycle event, I made some phone calls. My friend and rider that is a retired art instructor was kind enough to visit the Can Am website to discuss colors. Another friend, that is a moto junkie, and works in a dealership (not Can Am) filled me in on the new 2014 info he had.

Saturday was the bicycle event. One reason for the Can Am is my wifes back is beat up from years of riding bicycles off road. The Can Am is a good fit while she heals up and beyond. After the event, we spent some time oooggling the 2014 catalog and accessories catalog.

Sunday and the return trip had her decide to again go by the same dealer. She again went to the RT series. Now it was time to decide, limited or RTs. Also we were uncertain about the Cognac color.

Ultimately, we both decided we did not care for the chrome on the limited. The dealer brought a Cognac RTs in the crate from the warehouse. On the floor (was not there on Friday) was a Pearl White RTs. We were able to see both colors and opted in on white.

So like Spyder Ann, much came down to how it looks. Option wise, the wife insisted on an oem GPS and full machine cover. So the Pearl White RTs became the wifes Valentines Day present. We have had the machine out and about locally and it seems to always draw a crowd. Friends that also ride have been impressed to the point of worry they may be in the market now for a Spyder.

Kind of lengthy way to decide on a machine, but hope it helps.

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 02-09-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy whatever puts the biggest smile on your face that you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I've owned both and I went with the RTS this year, it has more of I want and less of what I don't need.

Spyder Garage

What a lot of folks forget the RT Limited comes with Auto included in the price plus factory GPS and a ton of chrome .If you are not a fan of chrome then the RTS is the way to go but when you add Auto and GPS .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up RT-L vs RT-S

I have the RT-S SM5. To me it all depends on how much extra cash you have up front to part with. Test ride both, put them through the same test then decide. Good luck. Remember you are the one riding and making the payments!

Spyder Garage

All of the important stuff is included on the RT S - I don't care about chrome (JMHO). Even with the hit at the other end, I would opt for the SM 6, and add a hand brake, if I ever got another Spyder. Use the extra money to buy a trailer, comfort seat, or whatever other farkles you might want. A good GPS can be had for under $200, and an hour or so to install.

Having said that, I don't have to deal with traffic jams anymore. If you do, then the SE option is a VERY worthwhile investment.

Again, JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Interesting thread.
    I bought my RT-S in 2010. It was the top of the line at the time, there was no Limited version.
    Recently, I've been thinking that if I get another Spyder, I'd buy a base RT or maybe the Audience and Convenince model and then add only those accessories that I want.
    I like the manual transmission and I'm not enamored by all the chrome.
    I would want the Radio, CB/Intercom and GPS interface.
    As I said, I'd get the GPS from Garmin and get the installation kit from BRP.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which one floats your boat better?

Black... or Chrome?
    Functionally; both bikes are identical. Okay; In the Limited, you'll get the GPS unit, some luggage for the funk, and a shelf in the top trunk...
    The rest is purely cosmetic...
    Your cash; your call!
    Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Ask yourself what you want/need on your spyder and get the one that satisfys your wants and needs.KISS

Then, get out there and put as many miles on the clock as is possible.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've owned both and I went with the RTS this year, it has more of I want and less of what I don't need.

, i have had the RT basic, the RT Limited and now the RTS. But go with whatever makes you smile. The only big difference is the built in GPS on the Limited, most of the other items are for looks. SE6, only way to go, and will pay for itself on resale.

cruzr joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 02-09-2014 at 10:05 AM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default deciding

when I made my choice between the 2012 RTS and the Limited I went with the SM5 as I am used to shifting and was $1500 cheaper, also as an ex-auto mechanic -- less working parts = less parts that can fail , and went with the RT-S -- it had all I wanted -- I didnt need the GPS system as I used my Garmin from my car -- dont really need all the chrome -- was going to replace the seat anyway so the"stitching" wasnt a need-- I wanted the Spyder in red -- to me not only was I happier with the RT-S but it was less expensive -- which led to more money for farkles!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    ​BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Get what you really want up front. You should look at them side by side at least in pics of the same view.

On a side note since the RT A&C is no longer being made that made my 2010 RT A&C instantly more valuable
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What I think would really make things interesting is if they offered the RTS as a truly Sport machine. Maybe a sportier set of shocks as standard equipment along with a cool exhaust. They could make the Limited the Cadillac with a softer suspension and all of the chrome.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They could even play around with the windshield and air deflector packages in order to further differentiate them...
    Shorter fenders: front and rear... stock Akrapovic on the RTS... wider front tires...
    This could be FUN!! Who'll be the first to build one?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post

2014 Spyder RT-S SE6/Sm6 with awesome 1330cc motor needs only a couple of performance mods to make it a truely "Sport machine":
    1. Get rid of cat converter. (have performance muffler shop remove cat, cut exhaust pipe end connections off cat, weld 2" stainless steel exhaust pipe with hangers to end
    pipes; let motor idle for 15 minutes to allow ECM to adjust fuel ratio to new exhaust pipe flow; ryde with big smile on face!!!
    2. Put on Elka shocks.
    3. Put on Russell custom seat with backrest, (my preference).
    Results:
    Noticeable increase in torque/power off idle on up to 6,000 rpm.
    Louder exhaust from stock muffler; (sounds like a racing sport triple wailing sound)!!
    Better fuel milage.
    No more right side heat from cat.
    Very stable cornering/freeway ride.
    Increased comfort.
    Of course "your choice". I prefer blacked out 2014 RT-S.
    Jim
    Was your Day Long Seat from a previous Spyder? I was wondering if they can do the two tone seat cover?
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    What a lot of folks forget the RT Limited comes with Auto included in the price plus factory GPS and a ton of chrome .If you are not a fan of chrome then the RTS is the way to go but when you add Auto and GPS .
    I agree