Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I can't help myself

I know I am old enough to know better but I am still too young to care. I also know it can be a very sensitive subject but I gotta ask.
    When I am riding solo I like to "play". After years of riding snowmobiles I am now able to get the same feeling from my spyder. I like to ride hard when I am out on the back roads, and was wondering how many of my fellow riders bought an RS or RS-S to get that rush that cannot come from cruising at 55mph.
    I am also wondering if anyone believes there is a chance that the RS-S will get a higher HP motor in an effort to increase it's sales. When I bought mine I thought that 106hp would be great, but alas I think I could use some more. I will probably catch for starting this thread, but I like to ride with people whom share my riding style, and hopefully people of like mind will speak up.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

I can tell you my first spyder was a 2008 GS, second was 2011 RSS and third was a 2013 STS. My new 2014 RTS feels even more fun that the previous three and I also am a prior snowmobile owner and use to ride the heck out of tug hill trails like a mad man. I am really loving some of my favorite roads here in Virginia already with my 2014 RTS. I was concerned when buying it that the RTS wasnt going to be as good but I was wrong. That 1330 engine is amazing and a lot of power even though I am still in the breakin period
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Default Love my RS..!!

I would much rather have a beefed up twin high rpm engine. I would like a switch on the nanny for sport ryding. I would like to have oh so much more but have to say I am very happy with what I have...from what I have seen here and from the groups I occasionally ryde with..I do have the best machine for me..!! We enjoy the heck out of it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with wanting a bigger/more horsepower engine for your RSS. It will be interesting to see if the new ACE 1330 becomes available for additional 's than the RT version. Or--if they will come out with something special for the RSS. I did not like the fact that the same engine was in every prior to 2014. Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I know I am old enough to know better but I am still too young to care. I also know it can be a very sensitive subject but I gotta ask.
    When I am riding solo I like to "play". After years of riding snowmobiles I am now able to get the same feeling from my spyder. I like to ride hard when I am out on the back roads, and was wondering how many of my fellow riders bought an RS or RS-S to get that rush that cannot come from cruising at 55mph.
    I am also wondering if anyone believes there is a chance that the RS-S will get a higher HP motor in an effort to increase it's sales. When I bought mine I thought that 106hp would be great, but alas I think I could use some more. I will probably catch for starting this thread, but I like to ride with people whom share my riding style, and hopefully people of like mind will speak up.

Just sayin'...........
    Hear where you're coming from!

Was coming back from SpyderFest one year and put my GPS on avoid traffic. (Had to go through Arkansas.) Oh man, the twisties and the sweepers were awesome! Was taking me longer to get home, Hubby started bribing me with his most awesome BBQ beef ribs to get me back on the highways. Yeah, I like to 'play' too.

There is no such thing as too much HP.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Otter28169,
    I agree with you & here are my RS 2012 perspectives. My seating position, high power band, V-Twin, SE5, & HP works great for running @ my local dragaway, riding twisty backroads, hammering it out on the superslab, & doing long hauls across the country. Nothing like throwing on my helmet & padded spidi leathers, putting my chin on the handle bar inserts, lightly squeezing my knees into the tuperware, accelerating quickly, keeping my V-Twin above 5000 RPMs, & shifting my weight & body as needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rotax 1330 - 2015 ST.....RS-S....RS...........just saying

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Isn't BRP doing a software update to the rss to calm the nanny and add power?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

chad, you know my feelings on this! lost a riding buddy last summer (sig borstad who was an enabled rider) to a life long battle with health issues. sig always rode on the edge. every time I would ride with him, my adrenaline would be "maxed out." I might be 61 years old, but a little extra hp and and a modified nanny would be the "nuts." don't let my wife see this, or she'll take my keys away!

Spyder Garage

hmmmmmm flamingobabe, interesting point, a 1330 in RS/RSS

Do you know the rated HP & Torque for the 1330?

My RS is rated:
    106 hp @ 8500 RPM
    Torque 77 lb.-ft. @ 6250 RPM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Isn't BRP doing a software update to the rss to calm the nanny and add power?
    interesting, is there a website or BPR person or a way to follow this potential software update?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Got to admit I like to "play" as you put it and around here have to roads to do it. I like the challenge of trying to ride the RS as hard as possible without nanny kicking in, at the same time I've been very thankful for nanny when I hit typical NZ road repair on a fast but tight corner (a bit of tar, lots of gravel).

I personally not sure how well the 1330 engine would suit the RS from the bits of info I've read in other posts. It would add weight and width and the HP/Torque didn't sound right. It would be nice to see BRP use this engine to produce a cruiser/streetfighter model that looked a bit like a Triumph Rocket III, the engine sounded like it would be good for that but that's probably dreamland:-)

I prefer the sound of a race mode option already mentioned for the RS and I'm sure there's a lot more power that could be had from the current engine configuration. However I suspect heat will be the issue there.

Spyder Garage

all points makes sense PistonBlown

BTW - Pineapple Lumps are great, I had a client that turned me on to the Lumps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by figmotoday View Post
    all points makes sense PistonBlown

BTW - Pineapple Lumps are great, I had a client that turned me on to the Lumps!
    You can get Pineapple Lump ice cream as well now:-)

For those who are not in the know:

Spyder Garage

Default short sighted

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post

Just sayin'...........
    very short sighted on your part, imo, having a wife and young kids. what happens to them if you eat a tree?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    Hopefully, Because i'll be ready for a new spyder by then

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    hate to disagree, but it'll never happen. the rs and rss will become the entry level spyder at a reduced price and possibly a reduced engine size. we'll see!

Spyder Garage

It may just be the new RSS but it was a news release fromBRP. Software change that is.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    very short sighted on your part, imo, having a wife and young kids. what happens to them if you eat a tree?
    I did not say I rode with reckless abandon. I pick and choose my opportunities. I have survived a DVT with 5 pulmonary embolisms in 2007, and a freak logging accident occurring last November. When it is your time to be called home, it will happen whether you play it safe or not. I am also a volunteer firefighter and registered EMT. Should I not do those things because I have a family? Should are men and women in the military abandon there posts to be with there families? IMO it is short sighted to refuse to live due to a fear of dying. The best I can do is keep paying the life insurance premiums, and pray.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

you knew this was going to come up when you started this thread. how you choose to live your life is your business, but when you got married and had kids , that's a whole different ballgame. putting them first is a little more important than your craving for a shot of adrenaline. serving in the military is a little different than riding a spyder.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

It may just be the new RSS but it was a news release fromBRP. Software change that is.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    you knew this was going to come up when you started this thread. how you choose to live your life is your business, but when you got married and had kids , that's a whole different ballgame. putting them first is a little more important than your craving for a shot of adrenaline. serving in the military is a little different than riding a spyder.
    Life is full of what-ifs. What if the plane I'm on right now doesn't make it? What if I was in an accident in my Jeep on the way to the airport? You take your risks. That's why I'm on a RS-S and not a full sport bike. You go find what makes you happy.As for the topic... I want to see the RS line become more of a true sport bike. I don't think the new 1330 is the right engine for that. It's a cruiser engine, not a sport engine. I just got my RS-S in December but if BRP does go the direction I want I'll happily trade it in.I bought my RS-S for fun. It's at 550 miles and has never been on an interstate and probably won't until I go to Spyder Rally in May (assuming I make it). It was bought to have a lot of fun on winding country roads and so far it's delivered on that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    It's only on the 2014 RS-S. I wish they'd give it to the 2013s too. Should be no reason they couldn't.

Spyder Garage

an interesting perspective that riding hard = riding dangerous & throwing all caution to the wind & little concern for others
    vs
    riding hard = following MSF safety rules with a calm, alert, & focused mindset on the road during quick acceleration & shifting weight & leaning into curves & enjoying the ride & riding for times on a dragaway. Most significant safety issue is alcohol usage; half of the motorcycle deaths in the United States involve a rider who was drinking & 70% of all motorcycle accidents involve riders who have had a drink (NHTSA, 2003).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want considerably more power and less nanny restrictions you need to be willing to think outside the box.......

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk