Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BRP sent the replacement parts in 3 different shipments. I mean come on, all that is required is Loctite, a small screw, and one other item. Really BRP. Dealer couldn't give me a definite date although they said it was shipped Wed express overnight! Probably wont get here till next week due to weather, customs, ect!

Good new is, I finally spoke to the tech working on my bike. He is going to double and triple check everything on the bike before its completed.

Spyder Garage

​My dealer called yesterday to say my RTS is now "on the list" to have the leak fixed. I've not noticed any leak and the dealer initially said that my Spyder wasn't affected. The service manager said that I'd have to leave it overnight so they can be certain that the sealant set up properly.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help.......

Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    As many of you know there are some of the early build 2014's with the clutch set screw leak. The service bulletin is out and most dealers do not have it yet. (at least the two in my area didn't). Anyway, the part needed is Loctite #7649 (primer, found locally). Well, of course the dealers did not have it and had to order it. No one had it locally either.

Just a heads up for those getting this repair. Make sure your dealer is using this exact primer. Mine is still sitting at the dealer for a week now. Hopefully they will get the Loctite Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfi...et%20Screw.pdf
    Hello fellowSpyder Lovers. We are looking for other Spyder owners who might have had a problem with the porous metal oil leak. We had about 4000 miles on it before it started. It has been at our dealer for almost 1 month...Any info on how yours was handled would be appreciated, Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PattyandJoe View Post
    Hello fellowSpyder Lovers. We are looking for other Spyder owners who might have had a problem with the porous metal oil leak. We had about 4000 miles on it before it started. It has been at our dealer for almost 1 month...Any info on how yours was handled would be appreciated, Thanks in advance
    My 2014 with only 100 miles has leaked badly vin#5145. The dealer tells me that 2 set screws need replacing and sealed. The one screw seems to now be ok after sealing, the clutch housing screw still leaks and the are asking BRP for a new clutch housing. New machine that should have been corrected at the factory or dealer before delivery. I have no idea as to when I will get my Spyder back - what a tease!
    palover

Spyder Garage

Default 2014's with oil leaks

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    My 2014 with only 100 miles has leaked badly vin#5145. The dealer tells me that 2 set screws need replacing and sealed. The one screw seems to now be ok after sealing, the clutch housing screw still leaks and the are asking BRP for a new clutch housing. New machine that should have been corrected at the factory or dealer before delivery. I have no idea as to when I will get my Spyder back - what a tease!
    palover
    Close to yours - my vin #5333 no oil leaking problem in 1400 miles.

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by palover View Post
    palover
    On the birght side; the source has been found, and a fix is in the works!

I'm rel sorry to hear that you're having to endure this...
    ...But the bike (and the wait!), will be worth it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2 oil leaks in my 2014 Spyder LT

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

There seems to be some confusion surrounding this bulletin. Here is the corrected information:

The bulletin mentioned in this thread is deprecated; it was temporary and has been replaced by a newer one that your dealer will be able to compare your VIN against. The dealers who will service affected vehicles (a very small number) should already have the parts required to perform the update shipped to them. Also, note that all vehicles produced after this bulletin was released already have the update applied to them.

Hope this helps clear things up.
    I only had it 3 days and 100 miles. The dealer tells me he has found 2 oil leaks and he needs a new clutch housing. Afraid to take the Spyder on any trips for fear of being stranded, totally unacceptable, when BRP knew about the leaks early this year, why were the defective machines allowed to be delivered to dealers? My new Spyder was only 3 days old with 100 miles. If I pursue obtaining a new replacement there is no guarantee that it will not leak. I'm talking to my attorney after Labor day in an attempt to obtain a refund from BRP. I knowingly was sold a defective product.
    Ed Tirk
    VIN# 005145
    egtmt@verizon.net

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Porous Metal Oil Leak

CFPS and WCPS dealers in central Florida have replaced 5-6 1330cc motors because of oil leaks through the motor case. I believe namknight (SL name) may be the most recent. Might want to give Central Florida Power Sports or West Coast Power Sports (in FL also) a call. Also recommend you contact BRP and open a case file.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL LEAK ISSUE

.....Sorry to hear of all your problems ........so this is just a point of reference 2014 RT,, 5300 + miles VIN # 006475 no leaks , so far Mikeguyver

Spyder Garage

Production was actually halted early on to fix defects caught on some 2014's at the factory.

There were some complaints then that production was being held up. Most were glad this happened as it showed that BRP was trying to put out a good product.

The 2014's appear to be winners with very few exceptions.

Not every 2014 is going to be perfect, but it seems to be much better compared to 2013.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All in all; a winner!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Not every 2014 is going to be perfect, but it seems to be much better compared to 2013.
    How so? Most 2013 owners did not experience the heat related issues seen on this site. Probably the same is true for the 2014 owners as well. Too bad there isn't a way to know the true numbers for affected machines from both model years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well... There were ball-joints, shocks, and heim links too...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well... There were ball-joints, shocks, and heim links too...
    Bob - the 2014 has had other warts as well, including the whole key issue. I'm not looking for a comparison between the two years. I was just saying that it would be nice to know what percentage of units from both years actually suffered the issues that have been seen on this forum. I'll bet that the actual numbers are pretty small. If known, then would be owners might be able to feel more confident about their purchase knowing that these problems truly are not wide spread.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    How so? Most 2013 owners did not experience the heat related issues seen on this site. Probably the same is true for the 2014 owners as well. Too bad there isn't a way to know the true numbers for affected machines from both model years.
    I do not have actual statistics. But then, everybody seems to interpret them to go with their take on the subject.

My comment comparing 2013 vs. 2014 was based on the shear number of complaints and issues talked about here on SL. I am a regular and read pretty much everything on the site. Those that do the same will most likely agree that there have been fewer overall complaints for the 2014 year compared to the 2013 model year.

I am also very happy that there are many 2013 owners that challenge the fact about the "bad model year" argument. That also verifies what I have said many times concerning a 2013. You either get a good one or a bad one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I do not have actual statistics. But then, everybody seems to interpret them to go with their take on the subject.

My comment comparing 2013 vs. 2014 was based on the shear number of complaints and issues talked about here on SL. I am a regular and read pretty much everything on the site. Those that do the same will most likely agree that there have been fewer overall complaints for the 2014 year compared to the 2013 model year.

I am also very happy that there are many 2013 owners that challenge the fact about the "bad model year" argument. That also verifies what I have said many times concerning a 2013. You either get a good one or a bad one.
    Yes, I do agree with you. 2013 definitely had problems and the proof is with those that had melted parts as opposed to "opinions" about their bike being too warm. The 2014 has had its problems too and that has been documented here as well. However, like you said, not all are affected and it is more than likely in the minority for both years which is why actual numbers or percentages could help perspective buyers with their purchasing decision. My concern is that they come here, read a few horror story posts and dismiss the Spyder as a viable option.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    . I was just saying that it would be nice to know what percentage of units from both years actually suffered the issues that have been seen on this forum. I'll bet that the actual numbers are pretty small.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You are correct..

Quote Originally Posted by SpyRyd View Post
    CFPS and WCPS dealers in central Florida have replaced 5-6 1330cc motors because of oil leaks through the motor case. I believe namknight (SL name) may be the most recent. Might want to give Central Florida Power Sports or West Coast Power Sports (in FL also) a call. Also recommend you contact BRP and open a case file.
    That ended being the case for us also (engine replaced). BRP treated us right as soon as the problem was discovered.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I heard rumor that those with leaky cases got stupid long duration warranty for no charge.

PK
    That would be correct..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That ended being the case for us also (engine replaced). BRP treated us right as soon as the problem was discovered.
    Sent you a PM.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Motorcycle vibrations due indeed cause screws to loosen without loctite (and i have experienced this with other brands).. The screw/bolt in question was not torqued down properly with the lactate present to cause it from coming lose. This issue was found by my dealer on the second bike delivered in the US (on Christmas Eve 2013 ) and BRP was promptly notified. The likelihood is that only a very small number of bikes were delivered with the issue and they have been fixed by now.. damn spell checker loctite
    I purchased my 2014 RT Limited in Sept with 2 massive oil leaks. I had to use Kitty Litter to clean up the mess in both my driveway and garage. The dealer could not repair both set screw leaks and had to order from BRP a 2015 case with the screw holes plugged. This problem occurred after 3 days and only 100 miles. After 1000 miles, no problem.