Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Up??

Spyder Garage

Default Trade Up??

I am SO tempted to trade my 2012 RT for a new one. It is a good bike in fine condition. I have highway bars, a back rest, racing stripes and a skid plate (which I love the looks of). But the idea of better gas mileage and more power is nearly irresistible! I would love some ideas on what you all think I might have to pay over and above my trade-in. Does anyone know if the skid plate would fit the 2014 model? It doesn't look like it will
    summerdawn

Spyder Garage

Right now you are probably not going to like what you get on tradein from your dealer. Because of the popularity of the 2014's it is going to be tough for tradeins. I absolutely love my 2014 that I just got last week but I decided to trade a couple days after they where released as I knew the first ones to trade would get the best deal as previous experience.....this is my 4th spyder since November 2007.

Spyderpops has a new bumpskid for the 2014's that should be coming out soon as I have heard.....
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

Not me.... Let me just throw in a few comments.

I am NOT saying the 2014's are not all that either.

But I started looking at spyders in late 2012. The 2013's were coming out and they were all the RAVE... Well turns out they were not as expected. I bought a used 2011 with 450 miles on it and it was like new! Got it at a STEAL at that time (June 2013).
    I am really glad I did not buy a new 2013 at dealer price! I saved over $10K buying used but still like new with extended transferable warranty!

Sorry but the truth.

I am LOVING my 2011 and have had ZERO problems with it. There is NO WAY I would trade this 2011 in perfectly working condition for something that I might have questions about or is so new, WHO FREAKIN KNOWS.... Again look back at the 2013 story!

I know the 2014's are not the 2013 story but they have not been out long enough to know the real deal....

If I was to even think about trading in my LOVE which is my 2011, it probably would not be until 2016 when I know everything is once again "all worked out".

Remember.... DON'T FIX what ain't broke! If you love your current trike... stick with it.... You save some bucks too

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 02-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

It would take a lot of fuel purchases to recoup the expense of the new purchase but hey do whatever you like because that's who should be happy in the first place right It is a tough decision though
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Depending on what model you have and what model you want and other factors such as mileage on yours, warranty time left etc, etc, etc you can probably figure somewhere in the 12 grand area for difference.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love, love, love the 2014 but if I were you I think I'd wait until later in the year to try to get a better deal. Or, you might do better trying to sell your 2012 on your own. I've been riding a 2014 for a month now and it has been flawless I've put over 4,000 miles on it and the longer range is really great.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by summerdawn View Post
    I am SO tempted to trade my 2012 RT for a new one. It is a good bike in fine condition. I have highway bars, a back rest, racing stripes and a skid plate (which I love the looks of). But the idea of better gas mileage and more power is nearly irresistible! I would love some ideas on what you all think I might have to pay over and above my trade-in. Does anyone know if the skid plate would fit the 2014 model? It doesn't look like it will
    It always costs some money to ryde the latest and greatest. Based on reviews so far, the 2014's seem to be pretty good. Trade in is a big factor and you cannot count on top $ there or on dealer taking much off MSRP. Cruzer Joe is pretty close at $12K plus your 2012 trade. Your deal may vary a bit--but its in the ballpark. If you want the latest and greatest go for it. You will pay a little more at this time--but that is your call.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wait

Wait and see what happens - you have a problem free ride right now-let them get the bugs out first
    Just mho, Its always your choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Depending on what model you have and what model you want and other factors such as mileage on yours, warranty time left etc, etc, etc you can probably figure somewhere in the 12 grand area for difference.

Cruzr Joe
    Sounds about right. Traded my '11 for 15K diff.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The bigger question might be; is it worth it to YOU to trade up?
    It's not what you've got in the bike; it's what you get OUT of it that should really matter!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm very tempted too for the bigger engine, but I have a trouble free 2012 limited. I figure I will wait until fall 2014 or later when they announce the 2015 and look for a left over 2014. Unless a good deal comes my way.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

So my dealer was going to give me $16500 trade for my 2011 RTS S SE5 last fall. Was looking at the 2013 and thinking of the 2014. The 2014 were pricing out at about $8000 more than the 13's. We were contemplating and our sales person asked "are you having any problems and is yours running ok" . We said no problems, only 7500 miles on ours. Became a no brainer. Love our dealer and they know they have our business whether now or next year. So bought an extended warranty and will continue on with my 11. But believe me, I know the emotions of wanting the new one

Spyder Garage

It's not like going from a 4 banger to a V8 they are not that much faster and the mpg is not that much more. Sure there are some improvements engine wise but under the skin it is a whole lot less than a good riding 11,12,or 13. Would I like to have one? Sure, but not at a premium. I plan on waiting to see what other issues pop up on them until at least sale time NEXT year or later. JMHO
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Most of us are attracted by the flame of the latest and greatest when it comes to products we own and use. For some of us flying into the flame is painless. For others this may not be the case. If you have time. Do a cost analysis spread sheet comparing the two years. Using your anticipated anual useage as a basis. Then decide whether you want to attempt a run at the flame, or not. But before you finally decide. Ask yourself. If they evolved this much in four years. What will they be like in another couple. Cause, they will get better and better with time. Good luck with your decision.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Go for it and forget about the naysayers... I bought my 2011 in 2011, new, had the normal problems and been making a list of how to make it better (more power, less efforts in the twisties, better MPG etc). When I rode the -14 for a weekend last year I found that all my requests/desires were full-filled... I use my RT mainly for touring and biking is my life (down to only 15 bikes in the garage) so I am ready to loose some money on my 20.000 miles old -11 to get what I finally can have. If your RT is just a toy in between golf bags , jet skis etc keep it and do not loose money... If it is a necessity... Just swallow the bitter pill!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Most of us are attracted by the flame of the latest and greatest when it comes to products we own and use. For some of us flying into the flame is painless. For others this may not be the case. If you have time. Do a cost analysis spread sheet comparing the two years. Using your anticipated anual useage as a basis. Then decide whether you want to attempt a run at the flame, or not. But before you finally decide. Ask yourself. If they evolved this much in four years. What will they be like in another couple. Cause, they will get better and better with time. Good luck with your decision.

On the other side of this discussion, i am 65 years old and retiring next month, it was not cost efficient for me to trade , but what the hell, i am worth it so i did it. You only go around once in this life. If you can afford it, do it, if not, then keep what you have and enjoy it every day.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There comes a point in everybody's life, when they've just got to realize that they ARE worth it; they've earned the right to do what they want, with what they have...

Of course; I'm the guy who pulls the pin on the grenade, and THEN goes looking for the open window too!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well the first thing is the price difference which could be as high as 12k , and if you are going to finance, add in the cost of borrowing which could add another couple of thousand. You can call me cheap but I just don't see it. If I was buying my first Spyder I would consider new 2014 vs Used.

Spyder Garage

Arrow

When I was young and shared thoughts of my wants with my parents. Pop would always respond. If you want it, find a way. My Mom on the other hand was much more cynical. Saying this (and It bugs me to this day) While you're at it. Get me one too. The sum of their responses. As different as they were. Have served me well over the years. I always weigh my wants and needs. If, I really wanted one. I would own one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget to pick one up for your Mom as well...

Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Don't forget to pick one up for your Mom as well...
    No way! But, I could give her a hand me down

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She'll NEVER know what she's missing; as long as you don't let her challenge you to a dragrace...

Spyder Garage

Bad Financial decision (unless you have NO $$$ Concerns) It would take you the rest of you life to recoup Any Savings in fuel if you figure it out?
    Best Financial Decision is to reevaluate in Oct when there may be a End of year rebate and any vehicles left will be at least $1,000 to 1,500 less and figure a rebate of 2,000 and you may save $3,000-3,500!
    You may also Find Out Many problems have occurred between now and then?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I am thinking it just boils down to do I want one? Or, do I not want one? Financial concerns are there, and if that is driving the process, not only no, but heck no. I have spent so much money on 's, farkles, maintenance, etc., that looking back-- it scares me. I am not rich, but it was choices on how and where to spend what I had.

My final comment would be--if you want one--go for it if you have the means to do so. Better to say I am having fun than to have to say--wow! I could have had a V-8. (Here a 3).
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-05-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your responses. You've given me a lot to think about.
    summerdawn